• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't know exactly but he's listed as 1989 - 1993. He scored in a game in May 89.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtipps/1442235261/in/photostream

Greatest achievement - well the promotion in 90/91.

1988/89 (made his debit away at Gills in February 1989) until 1992/93. He joined Norwich in the summer of 1993. He gained two automatic promotions in his first spell here - 1989/90 and 1990/91.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting, I had it as May '89, but if he made his debut in the Feb then I was obviously wrong.

Thanks James

Greatest achievement - well the promotion in 90/91.

His performance in the first leg League Cup match against Spurs in 89 was a highlight I think. Shut Lineker out!

It's more single performances/goals I am looking at, so will go with the Spurs one.

Thanks again guys. I may be putting a few other up shortly, so keep a look out.

Or, I might just PM you two!

SPENCER Prior feels extra importance should be placed on youth football and clubs bringing through their own players.

More...

“So often we see coaches come in and bring their own vision and philosophy, signing 15 new players and then disappearing when they get a better offer.

“This leaves the club with another coach coming in stuck with a bunch of players that don’t fit the new coach’s vision and philosophy."

Spinner nails it.

Indeed. That is where clubs like Ajax excel...

And Lyon, who built their success in the 2000's on a system wherein the manager had very little say in transfers under the acknowledgement that, more often than not, he'd be the first one to go if the side wasn't successful. The club's Director of Football and scouting network largely dictated transfer policy, and the manager was tasked with making the most out of what he was given. The end result was Lyon making millions in profit from buying low and selling high whilst never making wholesale changes to the squad, and challenging for the Champions League on comparatively paltry average attendances.

And Lyon, who built their success in the 2000's on a system wherein the manager had very little say in transfers under the acknowledgement that, more often than not, he'd be the first one to go if the side wasn't successful. The club's Director of Football and scouting network largely dictated transfer policy, and the manager was tasked with making the most out of what he was given. The end result was Lyon making millions in profit from buying low and selling high whilst never making wholesale changes to the squad, and challenging for the Champions League on comparatively paltry average attendances.

Actually, Lyon's attendances are regularly in the 40,000's for big games (I've certaintly been in a crowd of that size there).I would hardly call that a paltry attendance.It's certainly more than the 25,000+ crowd that I was in at the Fulham/WBA match on Saturday.

(Incidentally, saw Ricky Duncan at the Shagar on Friday night.He's doing a great job).

Actually, Lyon's attendances are regularly in the 40,000's for big games (I've certaintly been in a crowd of that size there).I would hardly call that a paltry attendance.It's certainly more than the 25,000+ crowd that I was in at the Fulham/WBA match on Saturday.

That would be why I included comparatively. Attendances around the 40,000 mark are around half that of the big European clubs like Manchester Untied, Real Madrid, Barcelona, the Milan clubs, Bayern etc, and also why Fulham would do well to adopt a Lyon-esque model.

Hear Hear! Such schemes also help to create a long forgotten word in football.......identity.

That would be why I included comparatively. Attendances around the 40,000 mark are around half that of the big European clubs like Manchester Untied, Real Madrid, Barcelona, the Milan clubs, Bayern etc, and also why Fulham would do well to adopt a Lyon-esque model.

Fulham have an excellent Academy system, thanks.Saw one of their yoofs play for us on Friday.

OL get quite a few 40,000 plus attendances every season-regularly for big Champions league matches -and also for some league games (including the one I saw a couple of seasons back against Saint Etienne).

I'm still not sure I'd call an average attendance of 32,000+ (in 2012/13) even "comparatively paltry" either.

Quite a few clubs in the Prem.(including Fulham) could never aspire to an average attendance of that size.

Last edited:
Fulham have an excellent Academy system thanks.Saw one of their yoofs play for us on Friday.

Lyon get quite a few 40,000 plus attendances every season-regularly for big Champions league matches -and also for some league games (including the one I saw a couple of seasons back against Saint Etienne).

What, the one they signed from Luton for £440,000 and who failed to score and was subbed for the player you so memorably described as being the worst striker you've ever seen at this level?

What, the one they signed from Luton for £440,000 and who failed to score and was subbed for the player you so memorably described as being the worst striker you've ever seen at this level?

Yes but I think you'll find he spent the whole of last season playing for Fulham's excellent under 18 team.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/16/man-city-u18s-highlights*

Cauley Woodrow has an promising future in the game,hopefully starting with us on Saturday.As I've suggested before,his pace is likely to be a great asset,especially in away games.

Corr has no future in the game, apart from as a journeyman L2 player, (always assuming he's up to the occasional start or cameo sub.appearence).

*Watch out for Fulham's next rising young under 18 star,Moussa Dembele.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm getting a tad cynical in my dotage but it seemed to me that Prior was just talking himself up as a possible future SUFC manager.

If not, why did he go out of his way to praise Ricky Duncan's work? Come to think of it, perhaps he's just putting down a marker for RD's job.
Can't see him coming back from surfing in Oz for the poisoned chalice of management.

Fulham have an excellent Academy system, thanks.Saw one of their yoofs play for us on Friday.

OL get quite a few 40,000 plus attendances every season-regularly for big Champions league matches -and also for some league games (including the one I saw a couple of seasons back against Saint Etienne).

I'm still not sure I'd call an average attendance of 32,000+ (in 2012/13) even "comparatively paltry" either.

Quite a few clubs in the Prem.(including Fulham) could never aspire to an average attendance of that size.

About this supposed excellent Academy. How many of Fulham's playing squad have come through the youth system?

I can only think of Matthew Briggs.

The youth side may have had a good season last year, but you need to produce players for the club's first team to label an Academy as excellent IMO.

About this supposed excellent Academy. How many of Fulham's playing squad have come through the youth system?

I can only think of Matthew Briggs.

The youth side may have had a good season last year, but you need to produce players for the club's first team to label an Academy as excellent IMO.

David Stockdale was playing for the first team on Saturday (and yes I know he was signed from York, but that was as a kid in 2008).

Fulham also have a useful under 21 team, which presumably Cauley Woodrow will return to,once we've toughened him up a bit.

I appreciate your point about excellence,but it takes time (and money)to bring players through to the first team.

How many youth players has Ricky Duncan seen make it through to (and stay in)the first team? Not many.Though hopefully in Jack Payne we've got another one knocking on the door.

David Stockdale was playing for the first team on Saturday (and yes I know he was signed from York, but that was as a kid in 2008).

Fulham also have a useful under 21 team, which presumably Cauley Woodrow will return to,once we've toughened him up a bit.

I appreciate your point about excellence,but it takes time (and money)to bring players through to the first team.

How many youth players has Ricky Duncan seen make it through to (and stay in)the first team? Not many.Though hopefully in Jack Payne we've got another one knocking on the door.

Fulham were David Stockdale's third professional club. Fulham signed him from Darlington (when they were managed by our assistant manager) when he was aged 22, some three years younger than Southend's current first choice goalkeeper.

#barnabluegetsitwrongagain

Ferdinand, Moussa and O'Keefe would all be in the first team if they were still here. We sold one of them and the other two left because they weren't paid.

Fulham were David Stockdale's third professional club. Fulham signed him from Darlington (when they were managed by our assistant manager) when he was aged 22, some three years younger than Southend's current first choice goalkeeper.

Sorry but I don't have the time to check things out on Wiki, (which you clearly do).

I prefer to rely instead on my (occasionally faulty) memory.

Back