• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

flapjack

First XI
With Timlin now out, would it be tempting to put Spicer in the middle, and if so when would you bring him back in the league for the next couple of games to get him match fit, or would you bring him on as a sub for the last 20-25 minutes in the next 3 matches to get him ready.

Then again would you go for a midfield made up of Leonard,Hurst,Woodyard & Reeves with Britt and Corr upfront

He hasn't had the best of starts , but I'm sure he's better than we've seen , so I think we should put him in

He can't get much worse, we'll need him in a fortnight so probably makes sense to give him a run on Saturday to see where he's at.

IF we don't sign anyone and IF we play 5 in midfield again then in.....if we can bring in a loanee or we play 4-4-2 then out.

Well having seen a really poor performance from Spillane last saturday i dont see why he should automatically come back into our team. Alex Woodyard was tremendous on Tuesday night , especially considering he hasnt been giving a game for many weeks he showed real maturity + more skills than is given credit for. Of course Timlin was excellent alongside him but Laird can do the Timlin roll for league games. I would most certainly try to involve Spicer in the coming matches , maybe initially as a sub in a more attacking midfield role that he played 1st game of the season where he almost scored 4 goals! Hopefully no numpties will boo him + hopefully his confidence can turn around like Smith & Tomlins have. There is a quality player in there , we Southend fans need to help bring it out , coz if we dont , we probably will need him for the Orient 2nd leg + our Wembley dreams could fade.
So lets big up Woodyard & Spicer + get them buzzing ready for 20th Feb !!!!
:loyalsupporter:

I'd rather bring in a loan. Now is not the time to be trying things out or hoping a player comes good.

Its Timlins engine/workrate that we will miss he covers so much ground working his bits off, he gets stuck in big time, we have no one else in this mould (for the jpt) so play spicer by all means but dont expect a timlin replacement

Well we could start by playing him tonight, we dont want to risk injury, nut he could get 90 mins in tonight its a start to getting him match fit etc

Loanee needed? Not sure.
Think Woodyard has done well enough when he has played .Whilst I have not been over impressed with Spicer from what I have seen I think there is defo a player in there. Needs match time though so should play next 2 games.
Question is if we get any further injuries we are stuffed and will then be desperatley searching around for loanee's.

Loanee needed? Not sure.
Think Woodyard has done well enough when he has played .Whilst I have not been over impressed with Spicer from what I have seen I think there is defo a player in there. Needs match time though so should play next 2 games.
Question is if we get any further injuries we are stuffed and will then be desperatley searching around for loanee's.

Not even sure about that. He was pretty anonymous on Tuesday although the midfield wasn't seeing that much of the ball.....When he did have a great opportunity to send a great pass through for 2-0, he lacked the vision to even see the pass....That was disappointing.

Having said that, Spicer is hardly a better option!

Loanee....PLEASE!!!!

In some competitions if a player wasn't eligible for the first leg then he can't play in the second leg. I've no idea if that's the case for the JPT.

It may be that a loanee isn't an option.

Must have more to him than we have seen. Not really rated him yet. That said experience pro who in the main has played higher than this level. As we are paying him I would play him. Either that or I might try to get Freddy into the top of a diamond formation.

Loanee needed? Not sure.

In Spicers defence he did look bad in a bad side on a bad run - He might be better now we are playing well.

since spicer came here we have signed three midfielders +woodyard +bentley all playing infront of him. Shows what the manager thinks know wonder hes looking for a loanee.............................

since spicer came here we have signed three midfielders +woodyard +bentley all playing infront of him. Shows what the manager thinks know wonder hes looking for a loanee.............................

Well I didn't think Sturrock signed him to play in goal but anyway, seems to me another poor signing or certainly one where the manager has changed his mind on a player very quickly - I suppose that's the way with hit or miss signings.

Not even sure about that. He was pretty anonymous on Tuesday although the midfield wasn't seeing that much of the ball.....When he did have a great opportunity to send a great pass through for 2-0, he lacked the vision to even see the pass....That was disappointing.

Having said that, Spicer is hardly a better option!

Loanee....PLEASE!!!!

i think your being pointlessly harsh, woodyard was good tuesday night read the game well and IMO had a solid game.This pass your talking about i take it you are going on about the one where he could of passed to hurst BUT if you look the ball was bobbling and there was a player clearly in the way to stop the pass.

Back