• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sponsorship for crappy events.

Options.

• I am doing a 5k run this week - any chance you might sponsor me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Right,

I am going to sounds like a right killjoy here but its a risk I am going to have to take. I am getting really sick of people doing really basic sporting events and then asking for sponsorship to do so.

These last few weeks I have had the following:

1) Woman I worked with 10 years ago text me to sponsor her in a 5k race.
2) Fat Bird at work asked me to sponsor her in race for life (Less than 5k).
3) Female customer asked me to give sponsor he in a 10k walk.
4) Ex Mrs DtS mailed me for sponsoship on a 5k run.

Now I am not being funny but you are running 5k for **** sake. About 3 miles if my maths is about right. I do that every day down the gym AS A WARM UP and I dont ask for money for the priveldge.

Its so annoying as you cant really say no as you look like a tight ******* (unless the money is leaving the UK when I refuse point blank) - But I really object to paying some fatty to do a bit of a run that hardly makes me sweat.
Its not the giving I object too its the fact its such a **** distance with hardly any training required.

I am not really one to talk you could say as I asked everyone to sponsor me when I ran the London Marathon six years ago but it was 26 miles and involved me giving up booze for six months and running 30-40 miles for 3 months. Now that is a distance worth sponsoring.

Am I alone in this hatred or do other people get the same feelings of anger?

DtS

My sister is doing a sponsored run this week, wonder which of the above she is?

The 5km races are usually for a good cause, so it's not really a crappy event is it?

Plus my flatmate annually does the race for life for Cancer Research UK. She does loads of training for it and she enjoy's it. Just because you think it's a crappy event, others dont.

:p :D

Charity is Charity ...If you are fat and run 5k well done. It's your own choice who you decide to sponsor.

I'm sponsoring Ldnfatso in the national next year ;)

Last edited:
you tight fisted ****er......

nb...any chance of sponsoring me for the southend 10K......:D

It's not the event - it's the individual and the cause they're trying to help so,, in my opinion, you are a miserable ****.

If it was one or two people doing it then fiar enough but I have had x4 requests in the past week - At £10 per time that is £40 which I didnt really want to part with.

Would rather have sponsored someone who did a decent event for £40.

As I say its not the cash issue its the lack of effort people need to put in.

If it was one or two people doing it then fiar enough but I have had x4 requests in the past week - At £10 per time that is £40 which I didnt really want to part with.

So what are you planning to do?

You should make the sponsorship your giving more incentive based. So for the 5k races say if you do it in so and so time ill give you more than if you just stroll around and chat.

also - how does getting a fat bird to "race for life" work - surely she is a health risk and falls into a high heart attack percentile.....

It's all relative... I gave up the beer for 2 months (a big thing after my 4 years at uni) and did ****e loads of training for the GSR last year - only 10 miles but it hurt!

As has been said its all about the causes and the individual.

In fairness though, its not possible to sponsor everyone everytime :o)

SHUT UP DAVE YOU TIGHT GIT!

I can sympathise with Dave, around 10 years ago I was training hard for the London Marathon. (60 miles a weeks incl 20 on a sunday Morning) and people were asking for sponsorship for things like 5 mile walks. I only got sponsors for the marathon because I had so many people ask me what I was doing it for (no understood "because i want to").
Still as everyone has said its about sacrifices , A fit runner would not expect sponsorship for doing a 5 mile walk whereas a 1 legged 90 yr old might.
Regarding the number, just wait 'til you have kids, weekly sponsor forms coming home and all the kids in the neighbourhood knocking on your door as well

.... all the kids in the neighbourhood knocking on your door as well

Yeah I had that for the first time the other day - she was only about 6 and no parents in sight! My area is okay, but I certainly wouldn't let my 6 year old daughter go wandering around knocking on the local doors, especially as we don't actually know any of the neighbours (although I can tell you whenever next door are having sex!)

Right,

I am going to sounds like a right killjoy here but its a risk I am going to have to take. I am getting really sick of people doing really basic sporting events and then asking for sponsorship to do so.

These last few weeks I have had the following:

Now I am not being funny but you are running 5k for **** sake. About 3 miles if my maths is about right. I do that every day down the gym AS A WARM UP and I dont ask for money for the priveldge.

Its so annoying as you cant really say no as you look like a tight ******* (unless the money is leaving the UK when I refuse point blank) - But I really object to paying some fatty to do a bit of a run that hardly makes me sweat.
Its not the giving I object too its the fact its such a **** distance with hardly any training required.

I am not really one to talk you could say as I asked everyone to sponsor me when I ran the London Marathon six years ago but it was 26 miles and involved me giving up booze for six months and running 30-40 miles for 3 months. Now that is a distance worth sponsoring.

Am I alone in this hatred or do other people get the same feelings of anger?

DtS

I know what you mean, but you can say no. Don't say no to everybody, but only sponsor one person per event, on a first come first served basis.

If a second person comes along point out that you have already sponsored someone for that event.

And for the record, you're right, 5k isn't very far, I run it at the end of my workout!

I know what you mean, but you can say no. Don't say no to everybody, but only sponsor one person per event, on a first come first served basis.

If a second person comes along point out that you have already sponsored someone for that event.

Its pretty hard to say No I think as it makes you look like a right tight *******.

I would personally like to see a law brought in that you cannot ask someone who has run further than you in a running event for sponsorship.

That was I would only be asked for sponsorship by fellow marathon runners which is fine and I would glady sponsor a tri-marathon runner.

:mad:

I think the SZBC Clique should have a sponsored beer drink! Net profits after the beer money is taken out goes to charity!!!:D :D

Back