• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sports Personality of the Year 2012

SPOTY?

• Total voters

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
So the shortlist was announced last night, I'm sure there will be a few on here complaining about the number of Paralympians on it. In such a great sporting year there was always going to be some notable names left out even though it's been extended to 12, but I think if any of those shortlisted had missed out it would have been poorer for it.

The most notable missing name for me is Laura Trott who I'd have in for Mcllroy, but that's because I can't stand golf.

So what does SZ think? Who will you vote for? What's your top 3? Is Wiggins a shoe-in?

McIllroy deserves to be on the list. I agree about Laura Trott but otherwise think it's pretty much spot on.

Any one of those are worthy winners. The Olympians seem to more likeable and prepared to let their personalities show rather than the cold detachment that I think most 'professionals' display. For that reason I shall have more interest in SPotY this year than in previous years.

Wiggins for me.

Can't see anyone but Wiggins. Olympics aside, he won the TDF which is a bit more challenging than a bit of swimming or running in my eyes. Incredible achievement.

For me...

1. Ben Ainslie. I'm a big fan of his, and 4 consecutive golds is some achievement. Shame to hear he's retiring from olympics today.
2. Wiggo.
3. Torn between Kath Grainger and David Weir.

Most of those names would probably win any other year. I think it will be Wiggins followed by Mo then Murray.

Wiggo deserves to win not only the fact he won the tour de France and a gold a few days later in the Olympics but for saying "what's the point in having 7 Olympic medals if they are not the right colour..."

Murray should win this. A gold medal, grand slam win and Wimbledon final in the same year, that's an unimaginable feat for a tennis player from these shores. Rusedski won it for getting to the US Open final. I'm really not overly bothered by somebody who can cycle to the end of the road for a Daily Mirror and 20 Rothmans at a rapid rate.

Can't knock Greg's achievement but 1997 was a pretty poor year for sport when Steve Redgrave came 3rd in a non-Olympic year.

Can't see anyone but Wiggins. Olympics aside, he won the TDF which is a bit more challenging than a bit of swimming or running in my eyes. Incredible achievement.

He does get to use a bike though :smile:

I wonder if the scandal with the TDF with Armstrong will affect it though, obviously not accusing BW of anything but with the sport in disarray and the Olympians shining so pure I wonder if it will swing that way?

He does get to use a bike though :smile:

I wonder if the scandal with the TDF with Armstrong will affect it though, obviously not accusing BW of anything but with the sport in disarray and the Olympians shining so pure I wonder if it will swing that way?

Yes, they should give it to one of our pure Olympians instead.

What's the name of that bloke who won the time-trial to become Britain's most successful ever Olympian?

It'll be Wiggins. Obviously, the TdF and the Olympics are what will resonate with most people, but his whole season was impressive as in the build up to the TdF he also won the Criterium Dauphiné, the Tour of Romandy and Paris-Nice. A stunning year.

Murray must be in the top three given what's he achieved and I guess one of Ennis or Farah for the third spot. An exceedingly strong year and most of these would be worthy winners.

It'll be Wiggins. Obviously, the TdF and the Olympics are what will resonate with most people, but his whole season was impressive as in the build up to the TdF he also won the Criterium Dauphiné, the Tour of Romandy and Paris-Nice. A stunning year.

Murray must be in the top three given what's he achieved and I guess one of Ennis or Farah for the third spot. An exceedingly strong year and most of these would be worthy winners.

With the exception of the dwarf swimmer.

Back