• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sports Personality of the Year

Sports Personality of the Year

• Jess Ennis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sarah Storey

• Jonnie Peacock

• Rory McIlroy

• Greg Rutherford

• Alistair Brownlee

• Jason Kenny

• Tom Daley

• Lewis Hamilton

• Total voters
1. Bradley Wiggins
2. Andy Murray
3. Mo Farah

Exactly what my three would be.

Incidentally, anyone who rolls out the boring old line about "How can (insert name here) win Sports Personality, he hasn't even got one!" doesn't deserve to live.

Wiggins.

To win the TdF might be the most impressive sporting achievement by a Brit in my lifetime anyway, but he's also cemented his place as one of our great Olympians by winning gold in another discipline and seeing so many out on the roads and at Hampton Court (many sporting Wiggo sideburns) showed just how much he'd captured the public imagination.

Legend.

I don't want to get drawn into the whole Andy Murray thing again, but if he wins it will be a travesty as he has absolutely zero personality!

Lots of worthy contenders on that list though. Personally, I reckon it will be Wiggins, Farah or Hoy.

I cant see how anyone could vote for Mo Farrah for his 2 Golds when David Weir managed 4 so it must be Weir or Wiggins for me.

Wiggins.

To win the TdF might be the most impressive sporting achievement by a Brit in my lifetime anyway, but he's also cemented his place as one of our great Olympians by winning gold in another discipline and seeing so many out on the roads and at Hampton Court (many sporting Wiggo sideburns) showed just how much he'd captured the public imagination.

Legend.

I am with YB on this one, to win the tour over 17 days was magnificant in itself, but then to follow it up with Olympic gold a few weeks later was fantastic.

Bradley Wiggins hands down for me, Hoy and Ainsley 2nd and 3rd but either way round.

Bradley Wiggins hands down for me, Hoy and Ainsley 2nd and 3rd but either way round.

ainsley.jpg

The beauty is that there are several who are deserving this year. I think Wiggins will win it, but there are such great contenders:

Wiggins: TdF and another Gold Medal
Murray: Wimbledon Finalist, Grand Slam Winner, Olympic Gold and Silver Medalist.
Farah: 2 Gold medals in very tough events to win.
Weir: 4 Golds, simply fantastic in everything.
Trott: Couple of golds, and takes on Pendletons Queen of the track mantle.
Ainslie: Another Gold for Big Ben
Hoy: More golds from Mr. reliable.

Completing the 10 for me would be Storey, Ennis and Bilel Mohsni

I would be interested to know how often lasts years winner is nowhere near making the shortlist...

The beauty is that there are several who are deserving this year. I think Wiggins will win it, but there are such great contenders:

Wiggins: TdF and another Gold Medal
Murray: Wimbledon Finalist, Grand Slam Winner, Olympic Gold and Silver Medalist.
Farah: 2 Gold medals in very tough events to win.
Weir: 4 Golds, simply fantastic in everything.
Trott: Couple of golds, and takes on Pendletons Queen of the track mantle.
Ainslie: Another Gold for Big Ben
Hoy: More golds from Mr. reliable.

Completing the 10 for me would be Storey, Ennis and Bilel Mohsni

I would be interested to know how often lasts years winner is nowhere near making the shortlist...

I think it's quite rare for a winner to make the shortlist the following year. Paula Radcliffe a decade ago is the last one I can think of. Becks did it the year before she did as well, otherwise maybe some motor-racing drivers in the 90s as there was usually a big motor sports following.

I think it's quite rare for a winner to make the shortlist the following year. Paula Radcliffe a decade ago is the last one I can think of. Becks did it the year before she did as well, otherwise maybe some motor-racing drivers in the 90s as there was usually a big motor sports following.

Nigel Mansell in 92 and 93
Steve Davis in 88 and 89
Daley Thompson in 82 and 83
Seb Coe in 79, 80 and 81

These all won it and were in the top 3 the following year.

Back