• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Spot the ex-Blue ...

Mick

Life President
...... in this Southern League match 50 years ago. Dudley Tyler also featuring for the visitors.

(Their player manager was a bit famous too !)

1549574908375.png

Super Colin indeed. Best remembered for his two goals at Tranmere on Good Friday 1967 in our 2-1 victory. A couple of coaches travelled up (the other one arriving at half-time) for an overnight stop in New Brighton, which was neither new nor bright, before heading to Stockport the following day.

Was on that Easter gig to Tranmere/Stockport. (So was Nobbler.) Our coach arrived on time. New Brighton may not have been fun but Liverpool certainly was !

On a similar theme, back in April 75, 'The Brother's Grimm' organised a 2 day trip to our game at Tranmere on a Fri evening, & tickets to Everton v Sheff Utd the following day, with an overnight stay at a B & B up there.
When we arrived at our 'digs' late afternoon, they had experienced burst pipes or what-ever, & we couldn't stay there.
No idea how, but we ended up in a 4 star Hotel behind Lime St Station, which was fantastic, with their own Disco/ Nightclub on site.
And as for our game at Tranmere, we lost 2-1!.

...... in this Southern League match 50 years ago. Dudley Tyler also featuring for the visitors.

(Their player manager was a bit famous too !)

View attachment 7196
Also playing for Romford at No.3 was Bobby King who we signed in the summer of 1963 along with Bobby Gilfillan & Benny Friel from Scotland. Bobby who we signed from Glasgow Rangers played over 80 league & cup matches for us between 1963-64 & 1965-66 scoring a couple of goals, one of which if my memory serves me well was an absolute screamer against Hull City at Easter 1965. Bobby made only four appearances in Rangers first team one of which was against Standard Liege in the European Cup(Champions League these days). Bobby lost his first team place in January 1966 when we signed left-back Graham Birks from Peterborough United. However at the end of that season I seem to recall Bobby King scoring a hat-trick to help us win the Essex Professional Cup against Romford who then signed him that summer??(please confirm).

Also playing for Romford at No.3 was Bobby King who we signed in the summer of 1963 along with Bobby Gilfillan & Benny Friel from Scotland. Bobby who we signed from Glasgow Rangers played over 80 league & cup matches for us between 1963-64 & 1965-66 scoring a couple of goals, one of which if my memory serves me well was an absolute screamer against Hull City at Easter 1965. Bobby made only four appearances in Rangers first team one of which was against Standard Liege in the European Cup(Champions League these days). Bobby lost his first team place in January 1966 when we signed left-back Graham Birks from Peterborough United. However at the end of that season I seem to recall Bobby King scoring a hat-trick to help us win the Essex Professional Cup against Romford who then signed him that summer??(please confirm).

Yes, a final played over two legs.

Remember going to Brooklands for that game. Decent stadium - now they ground share at East Thurrock.

1549878526721.png

On a similar theme, back in April 75, 'The Brother's Grimm' organised a 2 day trip to our game at Tranmere on a Fri evening, & tickets to Everton v Sheff Utd the following day, with an overnight stay at a B & B up there.
When we arrived at our 'digs' late afternoon, they had experienced burst pipes or what-ever, & we couldn't stay there.
No idea how, but we ended up in a 4 star Hotel behind Lime St Station, which was fantastic, with their own Disco/ Nightclub on site.
And a weekend away with Ray Tulley , what a bonus .

Is that the time when he was asking the Everton fans in his best southern accent, ''Excuse me mate, do you know the Spurs score?'' Lol.

Yes it was, as that was the same day Spurs played Chelsea in the relegation cruncher at WHL!.
Up to that day, Everton still had a chance of winning the League, but Sheff Utd, led by the brilliant Tony Currie won 3-2.
We were ok after the game, as wisely had our blue & white scarfs on, & all the 'Dippers' were interested in, was getting to the Sheffield fans.

Yes it was, as that was the same day Spurs played Chelsea in the relegation cruncher at WHL!.
Up to that day, Everton still had a chance of winning the League, but Sheff Utd, led by the brilliant Tony Currie won 3-2.
We were ok after the game, as wisely had our blue & white scarfs on, & all the 'Dippers' were interested in, was getting to the Sheffield fans.

Yes, all goals at same end. Everton led 2-0 at the break, but our "ghost" player Tony Currie got a late winner.
With a couple of games to go relegation was between Spurs, Chelsea, Carlisle and Luton. Spurs survived by one point.
Derby won the League, with Liverpool and Ipswich just behind them. Then came Everton.

Tranmere were equal bottom before kick-off and we were not safe from relegation after the final whistle. A win against Bury and a point from Colchester saw us survive comfortably in 18th place. Watford, Huddersfield and Bournemouth were all relegated to Division Four - they'll never come back from that !!

went on a weekend trip with the broths grim to Plymouth Friday night game which I beleve we lost a night stay in a b n b which had its own bar so lots a beer flowed that evening .After breky we set of to watch a bournmouth match sat but the coach broke down in a bus station And we ended up playing football in the carpark until a replacement coach arrived some 3 ours .

went on a weekend trip with the broths grim to Plymouth Friday night game which I beleve we lost a night stay in a b n b which had its own bar so lots a beer flowed that evening .After breky we set of to watch a bournmouth match sat but the coach broke down in a bus station And we ended up playing football in the carpark until a replacement coach arrived some 3 ours .

I was also on that one, along with Rick F, John F, Ray T & someone else!.
I met my ( late ) wife to be on the coach going down there, & for our first weekend away, took her to the Tranmere one ( what a romantic! ) a few weeks later.
The coaches always broke down in those days??.
*We lost at Plymouth 1-0.

Super Colin indeed. Best remembered for his two goals at Tranmere on Good Friday 1967 in our 2-1 victory. A couple of coaches travelled up (the other one arriving at half-time) for an overnight stop in New Brighton, which was neither new nor bright, before heading to Stockport the following day.

For us "old but not quite as old as some clearly", who is Colin and who was the player manager?

I was also on that one, along with Rick F, John F, Ray T & someone else!.
I met my ( late ) wife to be on the coach going down there, & for our first weekend away, took her to the Tranmere one ( what a romantic! ) a few weeks later.
The coaches always broke down in those days??.
*We lost at Plymouth 1-0.
Two weekends away with Ray Tulley , double bonus .

For us "old but not quite as old as some clearly", who is Colin and who was the player manager?

Colin Flatt.

John Charles - probably one of the best British footballers in the history of the game.

(not sure he'd do well now, he was rubbish at trying to con the referee, going down easily and winning cheap free kicks)

He was also voted Juventus' best ever foreign player at the time of their 100th anniversary.

Two weekends away with Ray Tulley , double bonus .

With more laughs to come, when we checked out on the Sat morning of the 4* one in Liverpool.
Late on the Fri evening someone had ordered a load of beers, & given Tully's room number!. it wasn't him, but Reception wanted paying for them before we left, so we ended up all chipping in for them. Never found out who it was.
Only thing Tully had to pay for was a phone call from his room.
Back then, they had local phone directorys in each room.
Tully ( being so thick ) found a name called Van Dyke listed. He phoned it, & asked the bloke if his name was Dick!!!!!.

Back