• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yep was there as well. We then lost our next game which was away to Mansfield where I seem to remember it kicked off with the Police in the away end and we had about 10 fans arrested which considering we had less than 100 there was not a bad effort!!
This left us in real danger of re-election to the Football League only a win on the final day v Torquay would save us this fate. We managed to win 1-0 with a Penalty from Steve Phillips and probably half the 1,704 crowd celebrated wildly on the pitch at the end of the game.

Talking of low crowds the Rochdale v Southend crowd earlier in the 1984/5 season was only 1,040. Other low crowds away that season were 1,120 at Halifax, 1,082 at Torquay, 1,129 at Wrexham, 1,039 at Stockport. Our highest home crowd all season was only 2,942 v Swindon on Boxing Day, even the League game v Colchester was only 2,190. Football really was at about its lowest point ever, lets hope we never go back to those days.
Went to most, if not all of those games and it always seemed that there was at least twice as many in the ground than the announced attendance. There must have been a hole in the fence that the tax man did'nt know about. :winking:

Went to most, if not all of those games and it always seemed that there was at least twice as many in the ground than the announced attendance. There must have been a hole in the fence that the tax man did'nt know about. :winking:

I remember those days standing in the West Stand. I agree there always seemed more in RH than the 'official attendance'.

I remember that people and i :blush: shouted 'tax evasion' when the attendance was announced.

By the way, why do people applaud when the attendance is announced?

Southend 1 Rochdale 1

Last game of the 1980-81 season, when we were presented with the Division 4 trophy.

Just remember that game we were expecting to walk it on the night, having not lost a home match that season and given Rochdale were quite low down and with nothing to play for, but they had other ideas and some fella smashed one in from about 30 yards to put them ahead.

Was a great atmosphere as we fought back and, of course, the obligatory pitch invasion at the end.

I'm pretty sure the below team photo was taken that night :-

80-8152-881312.png

Happy days! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Southend 1 Rochdale 1

Last game of the 1980-81 season, when we were presented with the Division 4 trophy.

Just remember that game we were expecting to walk it on the night, having not lost a home match that season and given Rochdale were quite low down and with nothing to play for, but they had other ideas and some fella smashed one in from about 30 yards to put them ahead.

Was a great atmosphere as we fought back and, of course, the obligatory pitch invasion at the end.

80-8152-881312.png

A great night. The Spread was rammed before the match and it was a carnival atmosphere.
Rochdale certainly gave us a game..but it was party time.

Funnily enough, our last home game during the previous promotion campaign 77/78 was also at home to 'Dale. We won 3-1 and another happy pitch invasion was had. The final game of that season, away at Newport County, was a celebratory day out in South Wales and a 2-1 win.

Southend 1 Rochdale 1

80-8152-881312.png

just to quickly add,for those who weren't around,we HAD TO get a point to finish as Champions(for the first time ever) hence the exultation at Tony Hadley's second-half equaliser!

I remember those days standing in the West Stand. I agree there always seemed more in RH than the 'official attendance'.

I remember that people and i :blush: shouted 'tax evasion' when the attendance was announced.

By the way, why do people applaud when the attendance is announced?

People applaud when the away attendance is announced. Respect for their journey to the Hall.

A great night. The Spread was rammed before the match and it was a carnival atmosphere.
Rochdale certainly gave us a game..but it was party time.

Funnily enough, our last home game during the previous promotion campaign 77/78 was also at home to 'Dale. We won 3-1 and another happy pitch invasion was had. The final game of that season, away at Newport County, was a celebratory day out in South Wales and a 2-1 win.[/QUOTE
those 2 games in 77-78 were great days Kev,

Southend 1 Rochdale 1

80-8152-881312.png

The memories...

But it can't have been the final game against Rochdale 'cos the team isn't right.

The pic' shows (if my memory is correct): Banks, Beckett, Nelson, Mercer, Moody, Spence, Cawston, Otulakowski, Yates, Hadley, Gray, Cusack, Stead, Pountney and Smith.

Records show though, t
Happy Days indeed!hat the twelve that night, included Dudley but not Mercer!?!

Medals and trophy are on show and a big crowd - look at the big old south bank in the background.

So i am not sure what the occasion is.

Happy days indeed...

The memories...

But it can't have been the final game against Rochdale 'cos the team isn't right.

The pic' shows (if my memory is correct): Banks, Beckett, Nelson, Mercer, Moody, Spence, Cawston, Otulakowski, Yates, Hadley, Gray, Cusack, Stead, Pountney and Smith.

Records show though, t
Happy Days indeed!hat the twelve that night, included Dudley but not Mercer!?!

Medals and trophy are on show and a big crowd - look at the big old south bank in the background.

So i am not sure what the occasion is.

Happy days indeed...

Southend 1 Rochdale 1

80-8152-881312.png

The picture was taken before the home friendly against Wolves this was played a few days after the league season had ended. The reason it could not have been against Rochdale(1st.May)was Lincoln City's final 2 league matches were played on 2nd.May.home Darlington won 1-0, then Lincoln's final league match was away to Bury on 4th.May and they had to win by 8 goals to pip us to the title on goal difference, the result was a 1-1 draw. The final table was Southend +48 goals 67pts. Lincoln +41goals 65pts.(I believe this was the final season of 2pts for a win). (This could not happen today? because all matches must finish on the same day).

Yep, cheers BB. That makes sense.

I went to that Wolves friendly with a couple of work colleagues as one of them had a boyfriend who played for Southend then (only in the reserves, though).

Good crowd for that friendly, as you can see from the well populated South Bank in the background.

I didn't go to that match! I was persuaded by my girlfriend to go with her and some of her friends to a wine bar down Milton Road. Pokey little place. But as you can see from the RH photo it was a lovely evening so we stood outside.

Anyway wasn't the wolves friendly a Testimonial for someone? Alan Moody?

And wasn't it a 'double header' some kind of sufc legends XI V ????. Before the 4th Div champs took on Wolves?

Perhaps BB will remember?

Anyway she is no longer my girlfriend!

And no, she is certainly not my wife!

I didn't go to that match! I was persuaded by my girlfriend to go with her and some of her friends to a wine bar down Milton Road. Pokey little place. But as you can see from the RH photo it was a lovely evening so we stood outside.

Anyway wasn't the wolves friendly a Testimonial for someone? Alan Moody?

And wasn't it a 'double header' some kind of sufc legends XI V ????. Before the 4th Div champs took on Wolves?

Perhaps BB will remember?

Anyway she is no longer my girlfriend!

And no, she is certainly not my wife!

No,it wasn't a testimonial at all.It was rather hurriedly arranged(against the best available opponents?Wolves were FA Cup semi-finalists that season ) to celebrate/present the Champions' trophy.We won 1-0 (Mercer),Dave AXcell reffed.

I was persuaded by my girlfriend to go with her and some of her friends to a wine bar down Milton Road. Pokey little place.

That would be Scruples maybe, or was it too early for that place?

If it's the same one, it was opposite the Vauxhall dealership along there, I think.

Back