• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
Seeing as SZ was down when the nominees were announced, I thought a thread was in order.

I'd be happy with either Cavendish, Swann or McDowell winning, to be honest. Cavendish deserves an accolade for his achievements and Swann has quite rightfully earned his place amongst the best spin bowlers around today. You won't find a golfer to have a more complete year than McDowell either, what with becoming Europe's first US Open winner in 40 years and sealing the Ryder Cup.

Last person on my list would be Phil Taylor. Surely to win SPOTY, the two most important words there are "Sports" and "Personality"?

Seeing as SZ was down when the nominees were announced, I thought a thread was in order.

I'd be happy with either Cavendish, Swann or McDowell winning, to be honest. Cavendish deserves an accolade for his achievements and Swann has quite rightfully earned his place amongst the best spin bowlers around today. You won't find a golfer to have a more complete year than McDowell either, what with becoming Europe's first US Open winner in 40 years and sealing the Ryder Cup.

Last person on my list would be Phil Taylor. Surely to win SPOTY, the two most important words there are "Sports" and "Personality"?

Well 'personality' dosn't have to come in to it (see Mansell, Nigel) but as I mentioned in the BetZone thread, there's a really strong campaign building behind AP McCoy and he'd be my choice.

Hopefully Cavendish will make an unanswerable case next year by winning the maillot vert at the Tour de France.

I'm surprised, and glad, that they have finally out Phil Taylor in this. I'd like him to win, just because he shouild have one at some point in the past. Otherwise I'd have Swann who has personality and had a great year, but with this ashes campaign only half over, unless he does something spectacular this week he has little chance. These are though only based on me being more interested in those sports as opposed to cycling, horse racing and golf. From what Ive read, McCoy seems the most likely winner.

I'd have thought Ennis would have stood more of a chance (odds wise) as she is somewhat of a beeb darling, but i am standing firm behind Swann. great year, and a great personality. Obviously not having his sport on the Beeb goes against him, but being the only one on the list who has a good chance of making back pages before Sunday is massivly in his favour.

Utterly depressing list.

You know it's a bad year when you think at least darts is more of a proper sport than the likes of synchronised diving, golf and horse-riding.

Of those contenders who do at least vaguely proper sports, it's not even their best year for the likes of Haye, Cavendish, Ennis, Taylor, Swann.

The best thing that can come from this is that it's scrapped in favour of a radio review of the year. All it is is a big junket at the licence fee payers' expense as it allows the BBC execs to rub shoulders with all those sports stars that they've only seen on Sky.

Back