• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spoty 2016

Spotty botty

• Total voters
I reckon this year's candidates all have strengths that make them worthy of being there. Murray will probably win and I think he deserves it. His biggest problem is his personality for me. He can't help it, but I just don't warm to the guy. If I vote with my heart, then it has to be Nick Skelton.

No Michael Bisping? Any boxer who beat the G.O.A.T. and became undisputed champ in a big upset could probably count on at least making the shortlist.

No Michael Bisping? Any boxer who beat the G.O.A.T. and became undisputed champ in a big upset could probably count on at least making the shortlist.

I think the RSPCA probably stepped in - he should be fighting human beans rather than livestock. I mean, I could have a goat....as long as it's small and no horns are involved. :stunned:

I think the RSPCA probably stepped in - he should be fighting human beans rather than livestock. I mean, I could have a goat....as long as it's small and no horns are involved. :stunned:

I think we're a few weeks early to be trading livestock for beans. #OhNoHeDidn't

Delighted for Nick Skelton and Alastair Brownlee coming 3rd and 2nd respectively.

Bisping is MMA, not Boxing. Either way though it was a massive upset, he probably didn't make it since MMA isn't very popular in England.

Bisping is MMA, not Boxing.

*Whoosh* :winking:

Either way though it was a massive upset, he probably didn't make it since MMA isn't very popular in England.

It's a licensed and legitimate sport here, and I'd wager that Bisping is a name familiar to more people than at least half of the shortlist - which isn't to suggest any unworthiness on their part. I just find the omission an interesting choice on the part of the panel who drew up the shortlist, and can't help but wonder whether Bisping's achievements were seriously considered but deemed to be less than those of some who did make it, or whether it's a case of MMA still being frowned upon. Combat sport is inherently brutal, but that also goes for boxing and other martial arts and also at times for sports like rugby.

I didn't see the show. Was there a round up of accomplishments by non-shortlisted people? Was Bisping's existence acknowledged at all?

*Whoosh* :winking:

It's a licensed and legitimate sport here, and I'd wager that Bisping is a name familiar to more people than at least half of the shortlist - which isn't to suggest any unworthiness on their part. I just find the omission an interesting choice on the part of the panel who drew up the shortlist, and can't help but wonder whether Bisping's achievements were seriously considered but deemed to be less than those of some who did make it, or whether it's a case of MMA still being frowned upon. Combat sport is inherently brutal, but that also goes for boxing and other martial arts and also at times for sports like rugby.

I didn't see the show. Was there a round up of accomplishments by non-shortlisted people? Was Bisping's existence acknowledged at all?

I didn't watch it either but apparently there was a short segment about him. I doubt it's a case of MMA being frowned upon, as you said boxing is just as (or arguably more) dangerous than MMA, it's just not very mainstream and a lot of people in England probably wouldn't even be able to tell you how you win. It wouldn't surprise me if none of the panel who drew up the shortlist were familiar with what MMA was and so ignored him for that reason.

Was a bit boring that Murray won again and we had to endure another awkward video link with him by a swimming pool in Miami. Don't get me wrong I like the guy and he's had a great year but as someone else suggested, the standard in tennis at the moment isn't as high as it has been in recent years and there don't seem to be many young players coming through to replace Federer, Murray, Djokovic etc.

You could've made a strong case for any of the nominees to win it as it's been such a great year for British sport. My girlfriend and I voted for Sarah Storey just for the longevity of her achievements and the fact she came back after having a child and still won gold (plus she lives near us). I thought one of the Olympians should've won it.

Was a bit boring that Murray won again and we had to endure another awkward video link with him by a swimming pool in Miami. Don't get me wrong I like the guy and he's had a great year but as someone else suggested, the standard in tennis at the moment isn't as high as it has been in recent years and there don't seem to be many young players coming through to replace Federer, Murray, Djokovic etc.

You could've made a strong case for any of the nominees to win it as it's been such a great year for British sport. My girlfriend and I voted for Sarah Storey just for the longevity of her achievements and the fact she came back after having a child and still won gold (plus she lives near us). I thought one of the Olympians should've won it.

Murray is an Olympian. In fact he's the only tennis player to defend an Olympic title.

As for the "low" standard of tennis at the moment. I couldn't disagree more. Apart from the fact that ND is widely regarded as being the best player of all time, there is also Raonic coming through. (He'll be a grand slam winner one day, I'm sure.) Wawrinka is also pretty darn good, as is Nishikori. Not to mention Kyrgios who is better than anyone when his head is properly glued on.

Personally I think it is a British value to assume one of ours only got to the top because of the poor standard of the opposition.

That said, you are correct that a case could be made for each of the candidates, but that is why they were nominated.

Back