• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SPOTY

Who's it to be:

• Dina Asher-Smith

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Katarina Johnson-Thompson

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Alun Wyn Jones

• Raheem Sterling

• Ben Stokes

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
The 6 contenders have been revealed. I thought it would be interesting to have our own poll and see how close we are to the real thing.

Stokes will walk it. He provided the end of one of most thrilling sporting occasions ever, regardless of what sport.

Best odds you can get on Stokes is 1/5 on!

Next is DAS at 9/1.

Ahem!

I actually looked at the odds straight after England lost the Rugby world cup final as that was the only thing I thought could stop him getting it and he was 1.67 (I have decimal odds on my skybet as multiples are calculated on the decimals) anyway I had a little think and thought probably worth putting £100 on it for a £67 profit, logged back in literally a few minutes later and the odds were down to 1.20!

Like the rest of you I reckon Stokes will take the title, but my vote has gone for Dina Asher-Smith.

At 23 she is the fastest British woman in recorded history. She is the 2019 World Champion at 200 metres, the 2016 and 2018 European champion at 200 metres and the 2018 European champion at 100 metres. In an athletics world dominated by USA and Jamaica her record is pretty special and there will hpefully be more to come.

She'll have to be lightning quick to catch Stokes.

Funny how, only a year ago, sections of the public were happy to see him never represent his country again.

Like the rest of you I reckon Stokes will take the title, but my vote has gone for Dina Asher-Smith.

At 23 she is the fastest British woman in recorded history. She is the 2019 World Champion at 200 metres, the 2016 and 2018 European champion at 200 metres and the 2018 European champion at 100 metres. In an athletics world dominated by USA and Jamaica her record is pretty special and there will hpefully be more to come.
I'd have her 2nd for what it is worth and like said before there is no discredit to anyone's performances being beaten by Ben Stokes this year.

It is sports personality of the year, the year being 2019, so some of the achievements you have listed will not and should not be taken into account. Being world champion is a massive achievement and credit to Dina for that. I noticed that a lot of the talk in the world athletics championship was athletes saying that the world championships were part of a long process leading up to the Olympics next year. The Olympic gold seems to be the pinnacle in most peoples minds and for that reason I would place Stokes world cup win with England above Dina's 200m gold. I would also say that when Dina stepped out for the final it was an even playing field. When Stokes stepped to the crease the team was really up against it and he delivered us the world cup. On top of that you had that ashes innings later in the summer.
Fingers crossed Dina will win a gold at the Olympics and will take the trophy next year.

It’ll be Stokes. Very surprised Jonny Rea isn’t in there again after winning his 5th World Superbike title.

I'd have her 2nd for what it is worth and like said before there is no discredit to anyone's performances being beaten by Ben Stokes this year.

It is sports personality of the year, the year being 2019, so some of the achievements you have listed will not and should not be taken into account. Being world champion is a massive achievement and credit to Dina for that. I noticed that a lot of the talk in the world athletics championship was athletes saying that the world championships were part of a long process leading up to the Olympics next year. The Olympic gold seems to be the pinnacle in most peoples minds and for that reason I would place Stokes world cup win with England above Dina's 200m gold. I would also say that when Dina stepped out for the final it was an even playing field. When Stokes stepped to the crease the team was really up against it and he delivered us the world cup. On top of that you had that ashes innings later in the summer.
Fingers crossed Dina will win a gold at the Olympics and will take the trophy next year.
Yep, I get that @Ricky Otto, I only included her previous to show how she has developed to the point of being World Champion at 200m in 2019.

Not sure that the BBC will be keen on having Stokes win when four of the six nominees are minority candidates.
It doesn't matter what the BBC may or may not be keen on as it's the voting public that will select the winner.

Back