• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spread Eagle Closing Down

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
I hear the the spread eagle will be closing down on the 23rd March.
Not surprised really when you run it into the ground and allow the gypsies do horse trading at the pub amongst other things!

Had some great memories in there but it’s been Blue Boar for me for a long while

Shame but I am not surprised.
It lost lots of character when they turned it into a poor sports tv bar.
And last time I was in there the DoomBar was rank, left half a pint and went to the Railway for something to get rid of the taste.

Not been there in ages, but a shame. Had some top end of season parties in there back in the day.

The music in there pre-match was ridiculously loud, you could not hear yourself think let alone talk to somebody.

The music in there pre-match was ridiculously loud, you could not hear yourself think let alone talk to somebody.
I dont know why places do this.... yes im old, but it doesnt create an atmosphere it just makes you want to leave.

The Spread is good and bad. Music too loud, not great when you go in for a pint and a chat before or after a game. The lager can taste a bit tangy, as tho the pipes need a clean. The good bits, very friendly bar maids. Lots of room. Price of a pint is good. The beer garden out the back on a hot day. Sky Sports.

Haven’t been in there for a few years, I’ve got to say. Sad if true though...as MK said above, lots of memories of nights in there, back in the day.

Bit by bit all of the places from which memories are made are closing. First the Golden Lion, my pre match pub of choice, now the Spread, if true. It will be a sad day. Last drank in there before the Ipswich home game and the atmosphere was great. Everyone knew someone/everyone and it was irrelevant if the beer was a bit iffy, it's the companionship of your fellow Shrimpers that was most important. So now just the Blue Boar remaining.

Really sad, great memories in their since the mid 60s. with some great mates now departed.

I meet a mate once a fortnight for a lunchtime drink midweek, the Spread was our favourite choice and at 12 you might have two other drinkers in their perhaps another three or four at one o'clock and by the time we leave at three probably no more than half a dozen, can't be worth opening. We stopped going to the Spread as the music was so loud in a deserted pub.

So now we go the Railway the problem their is that Monday to Wednesday it doesn't open till 1.00, other days 12.00 pm

Its not easy being a lunchtime drinker!

Never should of blocked it off. The doing a few laps through the toilet doors was always fun. Alan and his mrs should of put an offer in to the brewery to buy it off them. As a structure it’s way better than the boar. The boar is just flat and small. I’m sure they are making more money going to boar now though. And railway will be busier than ever. Probably turn to flats now.

Really sad, great memories in their since the mid 60s. with some great mates now departed.

I meet a mate once a fortnight for a lunchtime drink midweek, the Spread was our favourite choice and at 12 you might have two other drinkers in their perhaps another three or four at one o'clock and by the time we leave at three probably no more than half a dozen, can't be worth opening. We stopped going to the Spread as the music was so loud in a deserted pub.

So now we go the Railway the problem their is that Monday to Wednesday it doesn't open till 1.00, other days 12.00 pm

If it’s not easy then just stop.

I seem to remember it had 3 separate bars in the old days when I was very young. They used to all play Crib in the bar at the front.

I seem to remember it had 3 separate bars in the old days when I was very young. They used to all play Crib in the bar at the front.
I remember 2 and a big function room upstairs. I preferred it that way, and other pubs like the Railway and Rose also had separate Lounge and Public bars; usually keeping the blokes from the more genteel folk.

In the late 70s, a mini pub crawl became popular with some of us after home games (Just the Saturday ones). Golden Lion, then The Spread Eagle, then the Blue Boar, and finally around the corner at The Nelson. Then back again. The idea was to have 2 pints each in each pub. We would start with about 20 Southend lads, and by about 11pm, there would be about 6 of us left standing. It was a good laugh, and each pub had it's own charm. Some of us would then get a late bus home. That could be funny as well.

I can only echo what has already been said. Loads of happy memories in there End of season was a good afternoon and loads of friends met in there over the years.

Remember Christmas raffles and summer barbecues there with lots of lovely Zone folk :Sad:

In the late 70s, a mini pub crawl became popular with some of us after home games (Just the Saturday ones). Golden Lion, then The Spread Eagle, then the Blue Boar, and finally around the corner at The Nelson. Then back again. The idea was to have 2 pints each in each pub. We would start with about 20 Southend lads, and by about 11pm, there would be about 6 of us left standing. It was a good laugh, and each pub had it's own charm. Some of us would then get a late bus home. That could be funny as well.
The Nelson .. blimey. Many memories of drinking in there, even back in my teens (of course I didn’t go in there when I wasn’t of legal age....ummmmm...)

I remember going in the upstairs room in the Spread when I played as a very young lad for Southchurch Rovers back in the early 70s. That's where the teams were selected and players were advised if selected and where the game was on the coming Saturday. Of course I was underage so couldn't possibly have a pint. 1/4d for the first I ever had... light and bitter because I'd been told you would get more than a pint as they kind of half filled a pint glass with the bitter then gave you a bottle of light and it was always more than a pint.

Back