• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spread Eagle Closing Down

Used to go in Nelson about 12 years ago before matches. Once we were sitting chatting and suddenly realised it had gone very quiet, the police were doing a drugs raid and had marched everyone outside except for us probably because we were a mixed group ranging in age from late 50s to young teenagers. We wondered why 5 mins before the raid one of Southend’s most notorious had asked if we minded if his teenage son could sit with us for a while. Goodness knows what he had about his person but we were in all innocent completely trusting.

Used to go in Nelson about 12 years ago before matches. Once we were sitting chatting and suddenly realised it had gone very quiet, the police were doing a drugs raid and had marched everyone outside except for us probably because we were a mixed group ranging in age from late 50s to young teenagers. We wondered why 5 mins before the raid one of Southend’s most notorious had asked if we minded if his teenage son could sit with us for a while. Goodness knows what he had about his person but we were in all innocent completely trusting.

I didn't know that.

Wasn't there a short lived fanzine called '45 minutes more in the Spread Eagle'?
The title was based on climbing over the seats in the West, rather than queuing in aisles and on steps to get out - and how many minutes saved in a season - or did I dream it!

Wasn't there a short lived fanzine called '45 minutes more in the Spread Eagle'?
The title was based on climbing over the seats in the West, rather than queuing in aisles and on steps to get out - and how many minutes saved in a season - or did I dream it!

It could of been a dream but most SUFC fans are living a nightmare atm.

Last edited:
Never should of blocked it off. The doing a few laps through the toilet doors was always fun. Alan and his mrs should of put an offer in to the brewery to buy it off them. As a structure it’s way better than the boar. The boar is just flat and small. I’m sure they are making more money going to boar now though. And railway will be busier than ever. Probably turn to flats now.

I understand they did try to negotiate with the pub co, may be not to buy but to stay, but pub co didn't want to play...

very sad..liked the"Goldern Lion" best,many a good time,then the "Spread",both were "PAKED" with fans in the 60s-70s
Never liked the "Boar"....but still remember a few good nights in the "old" Shrimper club,when it was large...again "PAKED" with fans
But everything is changing...IMO...for the worse

Back