• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spread Eagle Closing Down

Pubs now have to be very good to stay afloat. Unfortunately the Spread seems to have lost sight of what it was back in the day which was a solid pub that sold decent beer and one you could actually hear your pre-match conversation. Sad to see it go though. Some great memories.

I've been a Railway convert for years, it's a pub that doesn't try and be something it isn't.

With an occasional jaunt down to the WRT or Mile and a Third if I fancy a bit more beer variety.

I liked the Spread back in the early 2000s because I could go in and bump into loads of people I knew. Hell I even started going to their Sunday quizzes, and stayed long enough on Saturdays for Geordie Chris' DJ set (which was terrible).

It had an old fashioned charm about it back in the day. The beer was terrible, the service worse (except when McNasty was behind the bar) and it smelt. But it was a home from home. Ive only been in a few times since, and the refurb ruined it a bit for me. TVs everywhere. 130dB, no doubt a few flavoured gins. The next time I go to RH, it'll be straight to the Shrimpers.

Only gets any business every other Saturday, completely dead every other day apart from that, crap area, **** football team. Sad because I've had some good times in there but ultimately not a shock

Pubs now have to be very good to stay afloat. Unfortunately the Spread seems to have lost sight of what it was back in the day which was a solid pub that sold decent beer and one you could actually hear your pre-match conversation. Sad to see it go though. Some great memories.

I've been a Railway convert for years, it's a pub that doesn't try and be something it isn't.

With an occasional jaunt down to the WRT or Mile and a Third if I fancy a bit more beer variety.
For the last few years I've done my pre-match drinking in Westcliff before walking up to RH, that's if my son isn't with me. I used to drink in the Spread in years gone by but I'm with you in that it's lost something...I'd imagine - still good after a Blues victory when full of old faces .. after all it's not where you are it's who you're with. It's weird to think I might not drink in there again ... on the Railway, that's the one pub near the ground I've never really drunk in, not sure why.

Remember pre games early 70's. Landlord small Irish guy (?) mutton chop sideburns. Long before the days of Real Ales, Stella etc, this was the era of Light & Bitter, weak lager or Manns Brown Ale by the bottle.
But you always got a good tasting pint of Charringtons IPA in there.
Anyone remember 1st game of season 76, home to Watford?. They wandered into the left side bar, we were all in the opp one.
Dear me, turned into an old Western Bar brawl, stools etc flying all over the place!.

Remember pre games early 70's. Landlord small Irish guy (?) mutton chop sideburns. Long before the days of Real Ales, Stella etc, this was the era of Light & Bitter, weak lager or Manns Brown Ale by the bottle.
But you always got a good tasting pint of Charringtons IPA in there.
Anyone remember 1st game of season 76, home to Watford?. They wandered into the left side bar, we were all in the opp one.
Dear me, turned into an old Western Bar brawl, stools etc flying all over the place!.

I never witnessed any trouble with away fans at the Spread, but I do remember one early 90s game vs Millwall and drinking down on the seafront before the game. I think it was the Hope? But remember it being totally destroyed in about 10 mins by South London’s finest .. glass and broken chairs everywhere

I never witnessed any trouble with away fans at the Spread, but I do remember one early 90s game vs Millwall and drinking down on the seafront before the game. I think it was the Hope? But remember it being totally destroyed in about 10 mins by South London’s finest .. glass and broken chairs everywhere

That may or may not have been the day The Ivy House(Now Chinnery's) got done. Eddie Quill came from a famous East End family, mostly boxers and hired muscle. Eddie owned it along with Quills disco next door. Eddie's cousins, Jimmy and Patsy Quill are mentioned in a lot of books as they were Landlords of The Blind Beggar when Ronnie Kray shot George Cornell. Anyway, a Millwall mob came in The Ivy House and smashed it up. Eddie was an ex-professional boxer, but had to give it up because of bad cuts above his eyes. Eddie and one of the barman took on this mob, and Eddie punched a few, but had no chance, as too many, and everything was being thrown at them. The barman came off badly hurt, the story goes, along with the pub getting smashed up.

Last edited:
I’m hearing from credible sources that the brewery that runs the spread have had an interested party come for ward to run it, so who knows!

If it's got a Golden Tee machine like the old days, I'm there.

'Ull East Riding.

I was also in the Spread that Watford game....they never ever came back again !!!!!

A real shame - a real stapple of the good times for the club - many a good afternoon had in the spread.

I think its symbolic of the times. Yes the Spread has its problems but for me it signified meeting friends , laughs , losses, the occasional win and just generally good times. Just a real shame . The Railways is a great pub but the location of The Spread was superb and I'll miss it . Willing to give The Blue Boar a go but it's probably too small to accomodate everyone who previously used the Spread. Just a big big shame :(

Bit by bit all of the places from which memories are made are closing. First the Golden Lion, my pre match pub of choice, now the Spread, if true. It will be a sad day. Last drank in there before the Ipswich home game and the atmosphere was great. Everyone knew someone/everyone and it was irrelevant if the beer was a bit iffy, it's the companionship of your fellow Shrimpers that was most important. So now just the Blue Boar remaining.

Agree - the Golden Lion and the Nelson used to be my pre match choices - though only went to them and the Spread due to the proximity of the ground - would not go otherwise. Nowadays go to the Cricketers or the West Street Tap (and the Shrimpers :Cry:)

Echo is reporting Spread is getting a new manager in - not closing

Back