• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Spread has clearly had a lot of money thrown at it in the last couple of years. Its a shame that a pub like that will never make any money nowadays. I'm not sure how they can justify paying for two sports subscriptions considering how quiet it is on non-match days.

The Railway has been a Spurs pub for years when they are on TV. A few Arsenal fans quickly got the message and moved on to the Spread, only for BT Sports to go down.

Quite a loud cheer in there when Sanchez equalised though....and i don't think the Spread's been the same since Roy left.

I moved from the Spread to the Railway around September/October time solely because of the time it took waiting and queuing for a beer, I just got fed up.

If they can improve that (more staff/quicker staff) then I'll happily go back as it's more convenient for me coming from Westcliff.

What annoys me about the spread is they will have 5 staff serving, but only 1 round the pool table side? Most games I end up leaving around 2, (May have been in there since 10...:blush:), and just grabbing a pint in the ground!

What annoys me about the spread is they will have 5 staff serving, but only 1 round the pool table side? Most games I end up leaving around 2, (May have been in there since 10...:blush:), and just grabbing a pint in the ground!

You may have to get used to that if we ever move...

Talking of that, what was the imminent announcement? How come I missed it?

John Lennon didn't have a clue how to run that place to be honest. She was awful.

too difficult to walk round the other side then ??

May have to give the Spread a go again. Got fed up waiting for a beer in there for ages. Pete has it setup well in the Railway so go there most of the time.

Pete is a legend and knows how to run a football pub

All round good guy and is a shrimper too

The Railway wins hands down

I fear for the Spread if/when the new stadium arrives. It's only the current football punters that keep the place just about viable.

If we move, then only a large housing site on RH and a large base of new locals will stop the place from closing. I for one hope this never happens. I had my first ever pint in there at 18 **cough** and have had some unreal nights in the place. Fingers crossed the Spread will live on for many, many years.

I fear for the Spread if/when the new stadium arrives. It's only the current football punters that keep the place just about viable.

If we move, then only a large housing site on RH and a large base of new locals will stop the place from closing. I for one hope this never happens. I had my first ever pint in there at 18 **cough** and have had some unreal nights in the place. Fingers crossed the Spread will live on for many, many years.

Yeah I think the Spread is unfortunately pretty ****ed if/when FF ever happens

My Uncle had his stag night there in 1947, it was my local for many years, and those Friday night games in the 60/70s were unbelievable in the Spread.

Yeah I think the Spread is unfortunately pretty ****ed if/when FF ever happens

Yep. It's just well out the way if FF ever happens. The Railway I think will actually do well regardless, being right outside the station and just about close enough to not consider the walk to FF a "mission".....perhaps the Railway will become a bit more of an away boozer in the future. Although I can't imagine the regular Southend boys in there will be letting that happen in a hurry :winking:

If a large housing development is the result for the Roots Hall site, looking more likely by the day with Sainsbury's apparent disinterest now and the pressure for more housing, then it would be ideally placed to take advantage of the increased catchment.
The $64,000 question, probably literally, is whether the backing could be found to tide the business over during the period between football ceasing and the first wave of tenants appearing wanting a drink.... The business model for new estate pubs seem to be that they are amongst the last things to be built in a new estate, along with the school and doctors surgery. It would be a punt, but it could be a half decent one, would need some balls.....

Back