• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I fear for the Spread if/when the new stadium arrives. It's only the current football punters that keep the place just about viable.

If we move, then only a large housing site on RH and a large base of new locals will stop the place from closing. I for one hope this never happens. I had my first ever pint in there at 18 **cough** and have had some unreal nights in the place. Fingers crossed the Spread will live on for many, many years.

Do they sell perfume on tap still? :whistling:

its not the same sincethe price of a pint went above 50p

When there is a long wait to be served ---- that is a management issue.

The bar staff are never standing about doing nothing but if the barstaff are queueing to use the pumps there will be slow service. When I worked in the Spread it was common practice for me to stand at the lager pumps and keep pouring non-stop, putting the full pints aside so the servers could immediately pick them up and pass to the paying guests.

People may have had to wait a few minutes when it was really busy but the 2 hours I stood there continually pulling pints whizzed by.

Something for the new owners to consider ?

Not been the same since the Golden Tee machine left....

Spread's never been the same since Reg left.

Was he the guy with the Mutton Chop sideburns & curly hair, back in the mid 70's?.

No, earlier. Reg was an old boy, shortish with trousers with the waistband halfway up to his armpits. Most drank mixed drinks - light & bitter, cider & Guinness because he'd give you virtually a full pint of bitter and plonk a bottle down with it (a forerunner to buy one, get one free!). He and his family went off to run a pub (the Globe?) in Cambridge and we combined an away match with a visit to his new pub. That didn't work out well for everyone.

No, earlier. Reg was an old boy, shortish with trousers with the waistband halfway up to his armpits. Most drank mixed drinks - light & bitter, cider & Guinness because he'd give you virtually a full pint of bitter and plonk a bottle down with it (a forerunner to buy one, get one free!). He and his family went off to run a pub (the Globe?) in Cambridge and we combined an away match with a visit to his new pub. That didn't work out well for everyone.

The trick with Reg was to get him talking while he was pouring and he would forget it was meant to be a half in a pint pot. Regs last night in the Spread was a wonderful night, myself and big Richard got their early it got very packed, I ended up sitting on the bar on what was then the saloon bar as you just could not cram anymore into the pub. His daughter and son in law ran the pub with him, the son in law was wearing a white shirt but asking every woman to write a message on it. Reg turned to us and said "bloody fool wasting a perfectly good shirt". The son in law later told us that he had nicked the shirt from Regs wardrobe.

I noticed the "Home supporters only" sign is no longer up, in the old days fans used to drink and chat together....

What would be good - especially in better weather - is to use the space out back for basic bitters/lagers pre poured and which people could go and pay say £2.50 a pint for. Oxford and Wycombe do this really well. If they had say 100 pints pre-poured and out on trestle tables in the outside area at the back of the pub, they would not only sell out but the bar area would be a lot clearer for all the other drinkers.

What would be good - especially in better weather - is to use the space out back for basic bitters/lagers pre poured and which people could go and pay say £2.50 a pint for. Oxford and Wycombe do this really well. If they had say 100 pints pre-poured and out on trestle tables in the outside area at the back of the pub, they would not only sell out but the bar area would be a lot clearer for all the other drinkers.

Or even someone serving cans and bottles from a portable fridge. Seen that at a few football pubs around the country.

Back