• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
What was the better team; who deserved more plaudits - Tilly or Webb?

The line-ups v Spurs in October 1989:

Southend United - Sansome, Dixon (Edinburgh 71), Roberts, Martin, Prior, Brush, Cook (Walsh 90), Butler, Crown, McDonough, Bennett
Spurs - Thorsvedt, M.Thomas (Howells 55), Van den Hauwe, Fenwick, P. Allen (Walsh 90), Mabbutt, Gascoigne, Stewart, Nayim, Sedgley, Lineker

The line-ups v Man U in 2005

Flahavan, Hunt (Francis 14), Prior, Sodje, Hammell, Campbell-Ryce, Clarke, Maher, Gower, Eastwood, Hooper (Lawson 67).
Subs Not Used: Wilson, Cole, Moussa
Kuszczak, O'Shea (Lee 75), Brown, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, David Jones (Shawcross 90), Fletcher, Richardson, Smith (Evra 60), Rooney.
Subs Not Used: Heaton, Rose.

Someone else can work out who were internationals - but when we played Man U we were in the Championship, so our team was undoubtedly stronger than the one in 89. However, the team in 89, despite in the old 4th, were in the ascendancy, three of those who played would go onto bigger things. (Edinburgh even signed for Spurs after this performance!)

I would say both were amazing victories, and it's always good to see Ronaldo stomp off the pitch

Apart from the petulant prat, you also can't deny the undoubted pleasure of a Southend supporter seeing the look on Ferguson's face when we scored!

That Man Utd team would have destroyed that Spurs team, regardless of that fat Geordie and the goal-hanging crisps peddler Lineker.

The Tottenham game remains one of my all time fav games. If Crowns shot would of gone in, instead of hitting the inside of the post late into extra time Gazza would of been crying

As an avowed Man Yoo hater nothing will beat seeing us turn them over.

I was at Spurs game (went to the away leg aswell), what a night that was my first real introduction of RH absolutely rocking you could almost feel the North Bank trying to suck the ball into the net during extra-time. I will never forget Crown hitting the post it would have been mayhem if that had gone in!

andy dixon at right back, now that was funny as all he did was kick lumps out of nayim before getting subbed.

The Tottenham game remains one of my all time fav games. If Crowns shot would of gone in, instead of hitting the inside of the post late into extra time Gazza would of been crying

In those days the only chanting in the ground came from the North Bank. When we went 2-0 up, for the first time in living history all the West Stand started singing 'Southend, Southend'.

Am I missing something but we didn't beat Spurs in a Cup tie they progressed to the next round and actually won at Manu in the 3rd Round. Yes it was a great night and a wonderful performance but at the end of the day we lost the cup tie where as the Manu won we won and progressed to the next round and played Spurs

Am I missing something but we didn't beat Spurs in a Cup tie they progressed to the next round and actually won at Manu in the 3rd Round. Yes it was a great night and a wonderful performance but at the end of the day we lost the cup tie where as the Manu won we won and progressed to the next round and played Spurs

I remember David Lacey's report from the time about how although we didn't get their scalp, we "gave Spurs a short back and sides." :YB:

Think we did beat them, but it was over two legs, and we went out on away goals

Back