• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Dec. 21 2006,12:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 21 2006,12:04)]Maher - 4.  Truly disappointing.  The stage was set for him to prove his former employers wrong, and instead, he did nothing of consequence.  No telling pass, no telling shots.  Nothing to report, really.  What a shame.
I am finding all these Maher ratings (6 or even less) strange.
5 Live Xtra kept saying* how hard he was working and that he was the catalyst for everything created by the Southend midfield.

* - Although both commentators referred to him as Marr (as in Johnny)
I wouldn't go so far as to say that he was the catalyst to everything we did, but I'd give him a solid 7/10. He was always making himself available to receive the ball, won some key tackles and headers and was generally prepared to assume the unglamorous Makalele role while McCormack roamed the pitch.

My only gripe would be that when he receives the ball under any sort of pressure he has a tendency to play low percentage balls into the channels which don't really suit either of our strikers. I can imagine Hooper sprinting after passes into the corner flags, but that's not how to get the best out of either of our starting strikers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ Dec. 21 2006,16:48)]He was always making himself available to receive the ball, won some key tackles and headers and was generally prepared to assume the unglamorous Makalele role while McCormack roamed the pitch.
Totally agree with that.

If McCormack plays like he did last couple of games Kev is going to be overshadowed, but thats not to say he isnt playing well.

Kev can pass the ball sensibly keeping posession and bringing others into play, McCormack can then burst forward whilst Kev holds back.

Marks of 6 and below arent justified.

One 30 yard pass to Gower in the first half was the pass of the match (from a Southend player at least)

Can't quite believe JCR is getting slated. My Spurs fan of a boss, who generally doesn't believe in there being much quality out of the Prem, was raving about him this morning. A Spurs poster on Rivals even says that he doesn't believe we'll hang on to him for long. Plus, as fbm says, the Spurs fans applauded him off as well. It's all very well saying there's no final product and he should cross it more but there's never anybody bloody well in the box! What happened to the one quality ball JCR put in the box? It came to nothing due to nobody being in there.

I'm also slightly surprised at the reaction to Maher's performance. We need him to do what he did last night if we're going to have McCormack next to him. I personally think it's a very good partnership.

Oh and unless Freddy hits 6 or 7 goals in the next couple of weeks I think we can safely say he'll still be here come Feb 1st.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Dec. 21 2006,14:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mighty Shrimper @ Dec. 21 2006,12:57)]Prior is a liabillity anyway. after last nights performance I hope Clarke is given another chance to prove his worth.
Surely fishing? Yes he's past his best and lost any pace he would have had but Spinner and Sodje's partnership at the back over recent weeks is the main reason we've hit a bit of form IMO!
I'm glad someone else picked up on it. In spite of the hoo-haa earlier this season, I wouldn't call myself a massive Prior fan but I can't understand anyone who thinks his experience doesn't put him ahead of pretty much any centre back we have aside from maybe Sodje.

I'm all in for horses for courses and if we have a feeling we're going to get pulled from pillar to post then Clarke certainly has more of an athletic approach but Prior has done the business this season, with a large hand from Sodje, to keep some of the best attacks in the country out.

I also tend to agree wit Andy_S to an extent but completely see theother side. I'd say everything about JCR's play is superb except for hsi goal/assist rate. I don't care if he does exactly the same thing as he's doing now; until he accumulates goals and/or assists, he'll provide precious little more than Pettefer did.

i would have given maher an 8 always there to pass to brokeup attacks fromthem started attacks for us. did what he does best and in my opinion unnoticed by u all. not a closet maher fan nor am i him

Back