• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Squad for 20/21

looks like a pretty strong squad to me ..

put Dieng back in midfiled

We’ve got some promising youngsters but midfield especially looks weak to me. I think we need three or four signings to even think about a top half finish.

If you want Dieng back in midfield I question your judgement even more than your (I’m guessing trolling?) Sol love in.

I’ve never seen a player less inclined to make a tackle and more likely to hide in midfield than Dieng. The opposite to what we need in L2. He did much better in defence last season granted, but I never want to see him in midfield again.

I predict Molesley will find him out pretty quickly if he plays him there.

Very strange. Can’t see either getting a bigger move and surely non league teams will be nervous to give them a deal when we’ll be due a fee.
Would non-league teams need that much of a fee? The tribunal is based on the perceived value of the player, a non-league player, even one that is young, isn't going to command much of a fee. We had to pay Aldershot a tribunal fee for Straker and it was only £17,500 and he made almost 200 appearances for them. Surely a player that's only made a handful appearances for us that ends up in non-league can't be worth anything? At best maybe we'd get a sell on percentage.

The biggest mistake last season was not Bond or Sol but forcing Cox and Keirnan to stay. Ron may well had the moral grounds to insist they owe us a season. Plus no one knew how shocking and deliberately disruptive they would be but it proved to be a disaster of a decision.

Both Lennon and Humphrys tick the big lump box. Both had serious injuries, low on confidence last year and deliberately not spoken to or encouraged by their main partners last season.......Thats probably why Bond realised he would need a third (this summer) to change the 'culture'

You all know the rumours about Hump but the PFA were also involved over Lennon. Sol refused to even speak to him or allow him to explain pubgate and used him as an excuse for his own failings.

I not sure Hump will be here but if MM does what is says on his tin then Hump, Kelman and a good Goodship have the potential to be the best front 3 anyone has ever seen in a L2 Southend season.

Oxley is still a great shot stopper and one of the best at kicking. With more confidence in L2 and JW organising Lennon, Dieng, new signing, or the forgotten man Harry Kyp....That means we have a decent back line becaue the full backs take care of themselves.

Absolutley top of the shopping list for L2 is a Macca/Grant type player.....Does not have to be Clark/Butler type because we have 7or 8 decent lads who move well, pass well and can play the game. Have another look at the Kelman goal v Lincoln. For those of you not there on the day this was one of several moves like that on the day.

When Macca last played for Luton at RH he was always the safety net for a decent ball playing midfield. Constantly looking over both shoulders, he find space and be available if the young lads in front of him had a bad first touch or had nowhere to go. That breaths confidence in all the other players. Even their back 4 would fizz a 40yd ball along the floor to high midfileder/dropping 10 because if it went slightly wrong, they always a get out of jail free card in Macca.

Players like Hutchinson, Phillips, Ralph, Barratt (if he signs) and a few others.... Would have the room and the confidence to do what they do best...Look to be positive and hurt the opposition.

Us fans just need some patience and that starts with not collectively groaning at the first stray pass....No ones asking you to build Rome, just help tidy up a bit. It just looks a bit shabby after the Bond and Sol mobs rampaged through it last season. It is certainly is not finished and it can flourish quicker than you think.... If we all play our part.

Last edited:
The biggest mistake last season was not Bond or Sol but forcing Cox and Keirnan to stay. Ron may well had the moral grounds to insist they owe us a season. Plus no one knew how shocking and deliberately disruptive they would be but it proved to be a disater

And hopefully this is the newest lesson learned, and going by what I've heard about MM something he will be good at.

If a player doesn't want to be at SUFC and is not putting the effort in, let them go and get someone in that does want to and will.

The biggest mistake last season was not Bond or Sol but forcing Cox and Keirnan to stay. Ron may well had the moral grounds to insist they owe us a season. Plus no one knew how shocking and deliberately disruptive they would be but it proved to be a disater
Are there some examples you can share? I always thought Cox was a talented player who gave his all when I saw him play.

I understand views on Kiernan, seemed to be permanently injured.

Are there some examples you can share? I always thought Cox was a talented player who gave his all when I saw him play.

I understand views on Kiernan, seemed to be permanently injured.

I had my doubts going back along way. Started under PB. I get he didn't like Ranger and anyone associated with Ranger but he was not in charge and had no right to open up the rift with his own actions.

That aside I didn't trust him. The naive amongst you wont think this could happen but when we finished 7th I didn't think Cox wanted a play-off slot. Promotion would not have suited him.

He took the p with CP and put zero effort into the Bond 6 games to save us. Never passed or spoke to Theo, never spoke to Emile v Shrewsbury on his debut. Just when i was thinking does he have a problem with black players, he redeemed himself but not speaking a word to Humprys after Bond rushed him back v Wycombe. A lad who had his face smashed in and was in a mask......Cox was always 40 yds away.....Like he wanted it to fail......We know why because relegation meant an easy move for him.

Even in the 94th minute v Sunderland. He kicked the ball out for no reason down in the North West corner.....Instead of facing up and defending they most dangerous throw in the history of RH....He argues with the ref, which i thought was all false because there never was a whistle......I thought it bizarre at the time and now I know why.

My final and the most condemning bit of evidence was the pre-season game v Millwall. I asked him about his injury and his reaction was pure guilt.....I would have had him shot for high treason on the spot.

His 15 goals the previous season were much over hyped. The 3 v Pompey were great but they were the only ones worth a point, since his 2 at Gills way back in October. In between we had 2 at Crawley in the cup replay, one v Accrington in a 3-0 and Bradford 4-0.

He never scored any when needed in March and April and had clearly decided he was off by then......What an unprofessional fraud.

One more thing I don't slag players or staff without good reason. If i do I will always back it up and anyone is entitled to challenge my opinion..... Because thats exactly how forum should be......We are all entitled to out opinion and we are all entitled to disagree with that opinion. There has been some great points bought up recently, including from guests. That wont happen if people don't accept the rules.

Keep up the good work and keep looking forward.

Dare I ask the status of the Macc 2 ? Have they been cast adrift ? Wasn’t one a box to box midfielder ?

I had my doubts going back along way. Started under PB. I get he didn't like Ranger and anyone associated with Ranger but he was not in charge and had no right to open up the rift with his own actions.

That aside I didn't trust him. The naive amongst you wont think this could happen but when we finished 7th I didn't think Cox wanted a play-off slot. Promotion would not have suited him.

He took the p with CP and put zero effort into the Bond 6 games to save us. Never passed or spoke to Theo, never spoke to Emile v Shrewsbury on his debut. Just when i was thinking does he have a problem with black players, he redeemed himself but not speaking a word to Humprys after Bond rushed him back v Wycombe. A lad who had his face smashed in and was in a mask......Cox was always 40 yds away.....Like he wanted it to fail......We know why because relegation meant an easy move for him.

Even in the 94th minute v Sunderland. He kicked the ball out for no reason down in the North West corner.....Instead of facing up and defending they most dangerous throw in the history of RH....He argues with the ref, which i thought was all false because there never was a whistle......I thought it bizarre at the time and now I know why.

My final and the most condemning bit of evidence was the pre-season game v Millwall. I asked him about his injury and his reaction was pure guilt.....I would have had him shot for high treason on the spot.

His 15 goals the previous season were much over hyped. The 3 v Pompey were great but they were the only ones worth a point, since his 2 at Gills way back in October. In between we had 2 at Crawley in the cup replay, one v Accrington in a 3-0 and Bradford 4-0.

He never scored any when needed in March and April and had clearly decided he was off by then......What an unprofessional fraud.

One more thing I don't slag players or staff without good reason. If i do I will always back it up and anyone is entitled to challenge my opinion..... Because thats exactly how forum should be......We are all entitled to out opinion and we are all entitled to disagree with that opinion. There has been some great points bought up recently, including from guests. That wont happen if people don't accept the rules.

Keep up the good work and keep looking forward.
The reason he did that was to waste a few seconds and allow the team as a whole to get back in shape. Nobody questioned it where I was. In fact, there were cheers because they thought it would be the last action of the game. I hate being cynical but refs have a tendency to play a little over time when the ball is still in play and a team are attacking, and then blow the final whistle when the opposition break up the attack or kick it out or play, which is why Cox argued with the ref when he played on.

I don't remember it happening in the northwest corner either; from memory it was nearer the halfway line although I might be wrong.

This is nothing new anyway. I was a young teenager living well away from Southend during the Dave Webb era so I can't use that as an example but a mate at uni said that when Webb was at Chelsea it was a rule that defenders had to kick it into touch when the opposition were attacking down the flanks, even if there was an opportunity to clear it down the line or pass it, as it allowed the team to get into shape.

Two other examples: France were seconds away from qualifying for the World Cup or Euros back in the early 90s. David Ginola tried an ambitious crossfield pass well inside Israel's half. Israel got possession, attacked down the right hand side and scored. Gerard Houllier called Ginola a criminal and he was never picked again.

A more bizarre one was a tale by Peter Beardsley in his autobiography about a match in which Newcastle were 2-1 up in the dying seconds and he put a cross in, which was converted for 3-1. Rather than praising him, Jack Charlton was furious because it could have led to a counter-attack.

So basically what I am saying is that booting it out of play like Cox did isn't a unique tactic to waste time. Cox actually had a good game that day. It was he who sent Dru clear in the first half, who possibly could have done better, and was his chest from Elvis's cross that led to Humphrys' winner. I just don't buy the idea that Cox wasn't trying or had no influence following Bond's appointment.

I'm not denying there were issues off the pitch but I prefer to remember players with my glass half full. Cox was a quality player over his time with us, worked hard and used the ball extremely intelligently. Our best number 10 for many, many years possibly since Benji (unless Freddy counts as a number 10). Many great goals as well. And whatever people say, his hat-trick against Pompey was ultimately the difference between us going down and staying up.

The reason he did that was to waste a few seconds and allow the team as a whole to get back in shape. Nobody questioned it where I was. In fact, there were cheers because they thought it would be the last action of the game. I hate being cynical but refs have a tendency to play a little over time when the ball is still in play and a team are attacking, and then blow the final whistle when the opposition break up the attack or kick it out or play, which is why Cox argued with the ref when he played on.

I don't remember it happening in the northwest corner either; from memory it was nearer the halfway line although I might be wrong.

This is nothing new anyway. I was a young teenager living well away from Southend during the Dave Webb era so I can't use that as an example but a mate at uni said that when Webb was at Chelsea it was a rule that defenders had to kick it into touch when the opposition were attacking down the flanks, even if there was an opportunity to clear it down the line or pass it, as it allowed the team to get into shape.

Two other examples: France were seconds away from qualifying for the World Cup or Euros back in the early 90s. David Ginola tried an ambitious crossfield pass well inside Israel's half. Israel got possession, attacked down the right hand side and scored. Gerard Houllier called Ginola a criminal and he was never picked again.

A more bizarre one was a tale by Peter Beardsley in his autobiography about a match in which Newcastle were 2-1 up in the dying seconds and he put a cross in, which was converted for 3-1. Rather than praising him, Jack Charlton was furious because it could have led to a counter-attack.

So basically what I am saying is that booting it out of play like Cox did isn't a unique tactic to waste time. Cox actually had a good game that day. It was he who sent Dru clear in the first half, who possibly could have done better, and was his chest from Elvis's cross that led to Humphrys' winner. I just don't buy the idea that Cox wasn't trying or had no influence following Bond's appointment.

I'm not denying there were issues off the pitch but I prefer to remember players with my glass half full. Cox was a quality player over his time with us, worked hard and used the ball extremely intelligently. Our best number 10 for many, many years possibly since Benji (unless Freddy counts as a number 10). Many great goals as well. And whatever people say, his hat-trick against Pompey was ultimately the difference between us going down and staying up.

I not doubting Cox in his first few seasons but all the attributes you pick out were never seen from then final whistle after his 3 V Pompey until he left.......Most of 2019.

Cox clearly didn't like Bond and had no intention of playing for him. Cox was well known as club bully against the younger and new lads, some of them despise him. He would fine them silly amounts for not coming on one of his booze ups. He even arranged the Christmas one for a Sunday, rather than Saturday....So they could have the Monday off and have a hangover in paid time, our time.

As for kicking the ball out, it was more in line with the Blue Voice. He was not about to be tackled and Elvis? could have easily had a touch and put it out 60 yds up the pitch....If he wanted to......Im sure someone must have it on vid.

My overriding impression of Cox is that as a player he was a bit of a sh1thouse and would often be in his opposition or the ref's ear throughout the game, brilliant if he was on our side but it isn't much of a stretch that he could unsettle other squad members with whingeing and finding fault with everything.

every workplace has someone like that, who almost seems to relish it when things go wrong and if the management isn't strong enough with them or able to quiet them down / move them on it can quickly spread into other team members that aren't 100% happy as we saw last season with the likes of Macca

I'm not going to argue with most of what you say but criticising Cox's commitment in the Sunderland game to me doesn't sound right. He was the hardest worker in the team that game, literally covered every blade of grass on the pitch, making crucial tackles in our own half then popping up on the edge of the box a few seconds later on many occasions.

I'm not going to argue with most of what you say but criticising Cox's commitment in the Sunderland game to me doesn't sound right. He was the hardest worker in the team that game, literally covered every blade of grass on the pitch, making crucial tackles in our own half then popping up on the edge of the box a few seconds later on many occasions.

Yes your right, Cox put shift in and it was Kiernans best and only game where he was worth his wage. Perhaps they thought it would be their last and who wouldn't get swept along with that atmosphere......Both team and fans giving their all.....Who would have thought anything other than, well done lads you fought bravely but we are down by a point...Enjoy Auz and the US we cant afford you in L2 and your better than that.....Then along comes a man in a mask and steals the dream and the easy option.

Kicking it out under no pressure and without knowing how long was left. Was just a very weird thing to do for such an experienced player. When John White missed a volley up at Shrewsbury late on, when we finished 7th......Right next to him and not demanding it was our senior, wild horses shouldn't stop him, striker......Simon Cox.

All circumstantial you may say but they start to add up.

I know nothing about any off the field stuff. But Cox has no agent. His contract ran out that summer, he could have left us to go elsewhere. If he didn't want to stay why sign up again?

I know nothing about any off the field stuff. But Cox has no agent. His contract ran out that summer, he could have left us to go elsewhere. If he didn't want to stay why sign up again?
When he signed a contract extension (Feb 19) we were mid table and just into the losing streak that cost CP his job. Fair to say things went pear shaped after the Pompey match he was brilliant in .. and we never saw the same Coxy again. Not sure when the first interest came from AUS but once that came and Bond took over, rumour was it made his mind up he wanted to go. Ron should’ve let him go in hindsight as his mind wasn’t right but hey....if things had been different he could’ve scored a hatful as he was more than good enough for L1 still. I think it’s sad how it ended, to be honest.

fair enough. I don't remember when he signed his new contract. I am inclined to agree that it's better to part if the player doesn't want to be there. If he'd gone then we'd have hailed him as a hero and everyone would have been happy

Back