• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Squad for next Season

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
My take on the squad for next season. We will be losing Goater for certain and probably Edwards and Griemink, other than that I think that everyone in the squad will be offered contracts.

However I think some may want to look elsewhere to get regular football (and with 2 levels below us, this shouldn't be a problem). This will probably be Pettefer and Smith.

That leaves a squad of

GK
Flahaven

DEF
Jupp
Hunt
Wilson
Barrett
Sodge
Prior

MID
Maher
Gutteridge
Gower
Cole
Bentley

MID/ATT
Lawson
Bradbury

ATT
Eastwood
Gray

A total of 16 + 3 or 4 new youngters (Ademeno, Moussa, etc).

If we are to survive in the Championship I think we would need to add

1 GK
2 or 3 Defenders (One could be Nash)
1 or 2 Midfielders (One could be McLeod)
2 Forwards

Thats a total of 6 or 8 players which is a lot more than expected and means that Tilson and Brush will be very busy in the summer in an almost Wignallesque buying spree.

Yeah I agree we prob would need about 6 new faces in the summer. However, we've struggled to compete with Forest and Swansea in this league in terms of offering players decent wages so Championship will be even worse. Ron has promised Tilly funds though and we dont want to get into debt going crazy in the market. I trust Tilly will strike a good balance as he has in the past.

IF we go up one thing that Tilly & Brush will be able to do is get a better quality of player on loan. A Prem side is much more likely to want to loan out its youngsters to a Champ side than a league one team. More importantly players are more likely to want to come.

IF we go up (fingers crossed!) i feel a large part of our squad will have to be made up of loan players from either top end championship teams or premier$hite teams. Next season we would be favourite for the drop and as we are not the richest club in the world we will once again find attracting players harder

I'm sure I saw somewhere that the young Arsenal reserve striker (Lupoli ??) who's scored a few goals in the Carling Cup was due to go to Brighton on loan until he got injured. That gives us hope that IF we go up there's a chance we can get a few decent prem league reserves to join us for a season.

I am sure once promtion is confirmed Tilly and Brush will starting drawing up the shortlists of players he wants. I reckon one will def be either Byfield or Hayter. Also get the feeling that if Brentford fail in promtion then a certain brother of Efe's will be contacted. And I am sure we could do some good business with West Ham and Tottenham. Both these teams have fantastic quality in their youth ranks. And Southend would be a great place to gain experience. Especially through the coaching of Tilly and Brush.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 30 2006,13:50)]and what with Brush's friendship with Curbishley, we may attract some Charlton loanees / fringe / youth
/ chris powell

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 30 2006,13:50)]and what with Brush's friendship with Curbishley, we may attract some Charlton loanees / fringe / youth
what paul brush and alan curbishley get up to in they're own time is not of our concern

Yes 7 or 8 players are needed,I dont think Tilly and Brush will rush as they never seem to do that. We need a back up keeper which shouldnt be a problem, thats only if grimienk does leave.
Hayter or byfeild are probably on Tilsons mind, what about agogo? We need a 2 midfielders and a centre back, Plus a utility defender would be good.

We could sign some players who was a part of W@nk-Ham promotion winning squad but won't get a look in at Premier$hite level, so their experince in Championship could be vital, e.g. Ward (Iam sure he would be happy to play on loans as its not far from his place).

3 experince players who played in championship before, players from League One who want a crack at highest level, like Sam Sodje & Hayter & loans players from Premier$hite to go with like of Freddy, Gower, Maher & Gutterigde, that not a bad side, if Tilson find players wisely like he alway do.

I admit, our team look better than one that went down in 1996/97 season - our current side would have trashed the 1996/97 side.

I actually think that we will sign less players in the summer than the 6-8 mentioned. I would think 3-4 would be about right providing those offered contracts accept. One of the keys to our recent succcess has been the continuity in the side and the fact that Tilly has improved it bit by bit. We only signed 2 players last summer for example.Changing half the team in one go rarely works.

A proven centre forward to replace Goater is the number 1 priority, then cover at centre half if Prior retires and possibly a wide player (Mcleod) Also a sub keeper if Griemink released.

Murkey, you're not wrong about the 96/97 side.....most teams would thrash it as it was the most overpaid, laziest team its been my misfortune to witness (a certain dutchmen springs to mind) and managed by someone who only had contempt for the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southendneil @ Mar. 30 2006,15:25)]One of the keys to our recent succcess has been the continuity in the side and the fact that Tilly has improved it bit by bit. We only signed 2 players last summer for example.Changing half the team in one go rarely works.
I agree with the way that Tilson has done it bit by bit, but what I was trying to say is that with a couple of players retiring, a couple probably looking elsewhere to get football, and also the need to have a slightly bigger squad in the Championship he will have no choice but to sign 6 -8 players.

We will be able to get a couple of prem young guns on year lonas, as their clubs will want them to get championship experience

It does worry me, but Tilly and Brush have never let us down with transfers before, so i have faith, although i will be panicing in thesummer, when someone should refer me to this!!

We have also been very lucky this season that we have had minimal injuries really. A really bad bout of it next season and we have problems.

I think we should take 4 or 5 season loans to start with and go from there.

One thing - If Brushy and Curbs are such good mates how come we have never had anyone from Charlton?
rock.gif

rock.gif

I would love Southend to take Bradley Wright-Phillips on loan for the season as a Goater replacement. There are divisions with City supporters as to his Premier$hite quality but he will be great in the Championship regardless and I think he has bags of ability anyway. It looks like he will be going out somewhere next year so why not go to Essex?

It would be good for City, for BWP and the Shrimpers!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluemoon_Adam @ Mar. 30 2006,16:09)]I would love Southend to take Bradley Wright-Phillips on loan for the season as a Goater replacement.  There are divisions with City supporters as to his Premier$hite quality but he will be great in the Championship regardless and I think he has bags of ability anyway.  It looks like he will be going out somewhere next year so why not go to Essex?

It would be good for City, for BWP and the Shrimpers!
Not meaning to be horrible but is he not cack as everytime I see him I am unimpressed.....
rock.gif

Back