• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seems to be a lot of assumptions that the trialists that have gone elsewhere chose those clubs over us when really we have no idea on what has happened. It's just as likely that we decided against offering them a contract, or PB thought they weren't worth the money they wanted. To be frank although the squad is thin at present it's no worse than we've got used to in the last 4/5 years at this stage.

Drastic™;1650012 said:
Seems to be a lot of assumptions that the trialists that have gone elsewhere chose those clubs over us when really we have no idea on what has happened. It's just as likely that we decided against offering them a contract, or PB thought they weren't worth the money they wanted. To be frank although the squad is thin at present it's no worse than we've got used to in the last 4/5 years at this stage.

Indeed and will no doubt be bolstered by loans. It's nothing new.

The squad is certainly very thin.

The most worrying post on the thread is the one regarding Gavin Hoyte. If true, that really is a concern.

Why? If Hoytes father thinks we aren't going to do anything it will be even more satisfying when we do whilst his son watches on from non league football.

Why? If Hoytes father thinks we aren't going to do anything it will be even more satisfying when we do whilst his son watches on from non league football.

His old man has quite the eye when it comes to him recommending his son rocks up at successful clubs...

Watford
Brighton
Lincoln
Wombles
Dag & Red

What a roll call that is whilst dropping down the leagues...

I think we need to leave it till Monday before ranting.

It may well be we were waiting until the 1st August to sign players. If we have no new additions after the weekend Id be concerned.

As for Embargo, even if we were we could sign 4 players instantly anyway (by leaving Ted Smith out), so dont see that being the reason.

of course with a week and a day to go to the new season, despite this, we are in "no rush". Holman going to Colchester makes it 7 players who have turned their backs on us. wonder why?? a few recently, Holman included, got fed up of wating for a deal to be offered. wonder why /?? on Monday brown hoped to sign 4 players, maybe a couple this week. 1 day to go this week, will they come in Friday? I doubt it. wonder why??? of course the real reason " we're not in a rush because we want the right ones". believe that you'll believe anything. not us being selective, the potential signings ar and they're not signing. 1 t Cambridge, 1 to Bristol rovers non league and 2 to col u. u don't think anything is wrong somewhere??

Holman was only here 2 days, hardly left waiting for a contract.

As Beefy pointed out yesterday players get paid 2 months after their contracts expire and in the case of fagan we may well have been waiting for that to expire before signing him up.

The defenders have only been trialling this week and theres another game today so we could see a signing or two from there as well.

As I say, even if we are in embargo again we still have 4 spaces to fill.

Drastic™;1650012 said:

Well said ..

I've read all the above posts - and you either think the club is being selective and waiting to sign players at the right time or you think the club is being passed over by trialists and there are darker forces at work. :winking:

I'm in the 1st group - much more fun than being full of doom. :'(

Hash tag: Forcesofevileverywhere

I've read all the above posts - and you either think the club is being selective and waiting to sign players at the right time or you think the club is being passed over by trialists and there are darker forces at work. :winking:

I'm in the 1st group - much more fun than being full of doom. :'(

Hash tag: Forcesofevileverywhere

Bottom line is we know we are looking at players, lets wait to see if for whatever reason they sign by next week.

Im not seeing any reason why we havent signed anyone yet other than Phill not finding the players he wants.

Bottom line is we know we are looking at players, lets wait to see if for whatever reason they sign by next week.

Im not seeing any reason why we havent signed anyone yet other than Phill not finding the players he wants.

Some weeks ago concerns were raised by some and others suggested there was still plenty of time. Now the season looms, the bonding exercise was a jolly for the squad and management of last year and so many clubs in our league have not had the problem of identifying targets or signing them up.

Now we are consigned to signing from the pool of players that were not on the 'snap up at all costs' list. A bit like the speccy fat boy in the playground knowing he will be last to get picked for anything.

I have often in past seasons been positive but the gut rumble that smacks of ominous is audible.

Some weeks ago concerns were raised by some and others suggested there was still plenty of time. Now the season looms, the bonding exercise was a jolly for the squad and management of last year and so many clubs in our league have not had the problem of identifying targets or signing them up.

Now we are consigned to signing from the pool of players that were not on the 'snap up at all costs' list. A bit like the speccy fat boy in the playground knowing he will be last to get picked for anything.

I have often in past seasons been positive but the gut rumble that smacks of ominous is audible.

We're still over a week away from the beginning of the season. Our most 'likely' signings (based on nothing factual, just my gut) are Fagan and Mad Max. Both players have been training and mixing with the team. We also have other players we've been looking at for a while still on trial here. If they weren't available they wouldn't be here.

We've signed 2 players and a youngster. Personally I think we're in a fairly strong position and with Mad Max, Fagan and maybe another CB and possibly a striker we'd be all set. The last two could be loanees.

This line of argument is used every year, and it becomes more wrong every season too.

Premier League clubs do not finalise their 25 man squads yet. When they do, there will be plenty of players needing a new club. They filter down to the Championship, and knock more players there out of favour, who filter down too.

Others have mentioned that players are paid for July by their previous clubs, so many are in no rush to sign. You also see players who are holding out for L1 clubs panic and opt for the safety net of a L2 club once the season begins. It is hardly a case of 91 other league clubs having their squads finished and perfectly balanced, with us picking up the worst L2 cast-offs from last season.

Besides, we signed Britt Assombalonga the night before the season started two years ago. He was pretty good, wasn't he?

Possibly - or perhaps picking from players who were (but are now available) on trial at clubs higher up the league pyramid. That could be seen as positive, couldn't it?

Hash tag: Qualityratherthanquantity

Worrying how small the squad is really when you look at this.
well when you look and see 21 on that list it doesn't seem that bad, but when you think how many midfielders we have compared to defenders and forwards it does look worrying:stunned:

Sorry, who exactly was on this list ?

We signed Worrall and Weston very quickly so clearly wanted them.

Now we seem to be taken out time trialing the same players over a few games to make a decision.

Embargo doesnt explain anything as we still have spaces and wouldnt register Ted if needed.

Sounds like Max is on his way and Bolger maybe, then everyone will be optimistic. All it takes is a couple of signings and the mood on here will change! Weve had a good pre-season, Weston looks a good buy, Im sure Worrall will be too and we have a good blend of youth and experience. Bob Shaw clearly has a good eye for a player and Brown is clearly a good man manager.

Cant imagine Ted is anywhere near 1st team level yet, but even so, criticising a kid still developing is bizarre. Thats Wiggy for you though...

Ted is at the same stage where Bentley was a couple of years ago, he has time on his side and will improve all the time, he will bulk himself up and gain confidence all the time, it wasn't so long ago that Bentley was in teds position, he will come in time as he has the ability:thumbsup:

gavin hoyte's advisor, his dad, wasn't happy with sufc's chances of progress. his reasoning.

The squad is certainly very thin.

The most worrying post on the thread is the one regarding Gavin Hoyte. If true, that really is a concern.

I was Gavin Hoyte's advisor, I would have advised him not to play like a pub player in the friendly against Braintree. Then he might have a few more offers on the table

Back