• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Square pegs in round holes

CyrilSneer

Winger
I, like everyone else was gutted we lost one nil at home to Crewe. They came for a nil nil, but exceeded their expectations and got a 1-0 victory with their only shot on goal, a free kick
The first half we were awful. The second half was better, and i was pleased by the substitution of Laurent for Sankofa. At least we attacked and tried to score.
The title of this thread is square pegs in round holes, which is my main grievance of tonights game.
Moussa is a central midfield player. Francis is a right back. Yet these were the two players supposed to give us natural width.
You look at any good team who plays 4-4-2. The wide players, stay wide, and give the central midfielders or defenders an outlet to pass the ball when attacking.
Everytime Christophe/McCormack/Central Defenders had the ball, they were given one option only. Play the ball up the middle, where they found a packed Crewe rearguard
Its not Moussas fault, or Francis, as they are trying their best playing out of position. Moussa spent the whole match drifting into the centre. Francis always looked for a pass back.
If you play 4-4-2 you need natural width. In the premiership/Championship, mostly players are good enough to play out of position.
Our squad of players, and any team at this level are not.
We either need to adapt to a formation where players play in their natural positions, or if as Tilson seems to only know and play 4-4-2, we need to play players in their correct positions. We do have wingers.
I cant be the only one who noticed Moussa spending the entire match out of position. It was the same at Orient. He had a much better and effective game when he was switched into his favourable central midfield position. Barrett spend most of the second period doubling as a left winger and left back.
At Colchester on Saturday i hope we start with Laurent and Robinson as a strike pair. I have to admit, im lost as to who to play on the left. After the substitution of Laurent for Sankofa, Freedman seemed to be playing as a left winger. Im really not sure whether Tilson had instructed this, or whether he had determined himself to take on this position due to our lack of width.

Dougie also went out on the left in the last 3 games, I just wonder if we're not better off playing 4-3-3 and having done with it. Dougie on the left up top, Theo on the right and Francis in the middle. Leaving Macca and Moussa plus one other - which I'm not sure about as Jeff's not had a great last couple of games, so do you bring Granty back, and you're still then stuck with the same problem of right back and Sankofa or Franno.

Dougie also went out on the left in the last 3 games, I just wonder if we're not better off playing 4-3-3 and having done with it. Dougie on the left up top, Theo on the right and Francis in the middle. Leaving Macca and Moussa plus one other - which I'm not sure about as Jeff's not had a great last couple of games, so do you bring Granty back, and you're still then stuck with the same problem of right back and Sankofa or Franno.

We went 4-3-3 last night but they didn't play the formation at all well. I understand the problems with width and there are ways around that as this is the formation I use with SZFC I, but unfortunately the players didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing and ultimatley we spent the 2nd half hitting high long hopeful balls into the box hoping for a breakthrough. Any decent centre half would have been saying "thank you very much".

Whilst I don't like the idea of square pegs in round holes generally, the switch to the current XI was heralded by many on here as the reason behind our recent home wins and is undoubtedly the cause of our recent defensive improvement.

It's also the way to go at Colchester on saturday. Although beyond that I'd want to see Moussa moved into the middle.

Whilst I don't like the idea of square pegs in round holes generally, the switch to the current XI was heralded by many on here as the reason behind our recent home wins and is undoubtedly the cause of our recent defensive improvement.

It's also the way to go at Colchester on saturday. Although beyond that I'd want to see Moussa moved into the middle.
Yes, I've been thinking about this a lot myself. As utterly dire as we were against Crewe, we played decently with the same personnel against Bristol Rovers and Tranmere. Bearing in mind how solid we've looked in those three games, and what a soft touch we've been away from home this season, I agree that we probably should stick with the same side on Saturday in order to try and grind out a result Crewe-style.

After that, however, Tilly really needs to sort our midfield out and bring in a couple more loanees. A left-sided midfielder is the priority to give us a proper outlet. Has Stanislas gone anywhere else on loan? I'm still utterly baffled as to why we didn't pursue him further. I can only assume he had an attitude problem or something because with him in the side we had decent width and a much pacier attack.

I had a feeling either the player himself or the club did not want him to pursue any involvement with us.

Back