• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
As most of you will know, the Royal Terrace is considered one of the jewels in the crown of Southend-on-Sea as a resort, its guest houses have long proved popular and we've promoted one on here in the past, as a Southend supporting owner.

Recently, squatters moved into a vacant property that was in the process of being sold, as the old owner sold up so the squatters moved in before the new owner could do anything to safeguard the property. They represented themselves initially as a Project Manager to work on the house for the new owner, with a small team. There are now many of them holed up in there, and threatening notices were quick to appear saying no-one could take police action as it was now a civil matter, being a non-residential property.

People were dropped off outside by Mercedes cars, and admitted to swell the numbers. It was clearly all planned to the last details.

Needless to say, attempts have been made to break in to neighbouring properties. The police though, still do not appear to want to know. The squatters, I understand, have been interviewed in the Echo and the report was very much geared in their favour. Meanwhile, hard working people are having their livelihoods threatened and their guests abused. One lady guest house owner today said she had a disabled guest verbally abused by them. They can be aggressive in tone as well as downright nasty.

It all seems very wrong to me, how can this be allowed? Hubby reckons they must be breaking Public Order laws now but still the police are doing nothing.

As most of you will know, the Royal Terrace is considered one of the jewels in the crown of Southend-on-Sea as a resort, its guest houses have long proved popular and we've promoted one on here in the past, as a Southend supporting owner.

Recently, squatters moved into a vacant property that was in the process of being sold, as the old owner sold up so the squatters moved in before the new owner could do anything to safeguard the property. They represented themselves initially as a Project Manager to work on the house for the new owner, with a small team. There are now many of them holed up in there, and threatening notices were quick to appear saying no-one could take police action as it was now a civil matter, being a non-residential property.

People were dropped off outside by Mercedes cars, and admitted to swell the numbers. It was clearly all planned to the last details.

Needless to say, attempts have been made to break in to neighbouring properties. The police though, still do not appear to want to know. The squatters, I understand, have been interviewed in the Echo and the report was very much geared in their favour. Meanwhile, hard working people are having their livelihoods threatened and their guests abused. One lady guest house owner today said she had a disabled guest verbally abused by them. They can be aggressive in tone as well as downright nasty.

It all seems very wrong to me, how can this be allowed? Hubby reckons they must be breaking Public Order laws now but still the police are doing nothing.

Sounds like a job for some of Cyril's business associates. The only law that applies to these people is the law of the streets.

I see this as the new owners problem.

You're probably right, but she hadn't even picked the keys up. It was the old owner who had left the building not properly secured.

I understand the new owner has already gone to the courts over this, but it's causing no end of heartache to the residents and guest house owners in the Terrace as guests cancel bookings and leave.

I took the decision to live for a year in the former office building I bought, whilst waiting for planning permission to convert it. As it was on the sea front I realised it would be a target for squatters and legally they are much harder to evict from a commercial property.

In effect I was squatting illegally in my own building. As a long drawn out court case could have seen me bankrupt, I also had a plan B in the event of anyone trying to squat. Would not have involved the police.

I took the decision to live for a year in the former office building I bought, whilst waiting for planning permission to convert it. As it was on the sea front I realised it would be a target for squatters and legally they are much harder to evict from a commercial property.

In effect I was squatting illegally in my own building. As a long drawn out court case could have seen me bankrupt, I also had a plan B in the event of anyone trying to squat. Would not have involved the police.

Life in the bus lane, surely you could lose yo mind....

What was it like to live in? Did it have a bathroom, shower etc?

Life in the bus lane, surely you could lose yo mind....

What was it like to live in? Did it have a bathroom, shower etc?

Had the front upstairs office as a large bedroom/lounge. Downstairs had a kithchen which was good for snacks but I never cooked there. The gents had a perfect tiled three sided single urinal which I removed and put in an electric shower and an old shower tray. Even showered in it when we took the roof off.

Better than paying rent for a year and I had plenty of ripping out to do to keep me focused. Her Ladyship lived close by so evenings and dinner were not a problem. Bit spooky going back late at night but I preferred to be on site so to speak.

Had the front upstairs office as a large bedroom/lounge. Downstairs had a kithchen which was good for snacks but I never cooked there. The gents had a perfect tiled three sided single urinal which I removed and put in an electric shower and an old shower tray. Even showered in it when we took the roof off.

Better than paying rent for a year and I had plenty of ripping out to do to keep me focused. Her Ladyship lived close by so evenings and dinner were not a problem. Bit spooky going back late at night but I preferred to be on site so to speak.

I like it. It's a short life, good to pack in some weird stuff while we can. I once slept on a crazy golf course (under a bridge that you had to hit the ball through) when working in Tenerife in the 90s. I was woken up in the morning by an Alsatian and a security guard and that was that. Not in your league story wise but the best I could rustle up.

If it was my drum id be inclined to have the hard word with barry the bat in tow

Back