• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Moridin

Back from the Dead
Masked gunmen have attacked the Sri Lankan Cricket team bus in Pakistan, shots were fired and a grenade thrown.

Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavithana have received minor injuries.

This was the first tour by an International Cricket team afted the Champions Trophy, and Series with india and Austrailia were cancelled.

Seems like a pre-planned assault, car bombs in the vicinity have also been defused.

Details on the Guardian website, and Cricinfo blogs.

"The bus came under attack as we were driving to the stadium, the gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus, we all dived to the floor to take cover. About five players have been injured and also Paul Farbrace [a member of the support staff], but most of the injuries appear to be minor at this stage and caused by debris."

Quote from Mahela Jayawardene taken from cricinfo.com

Last edited:
Saw the news footage this morning and it was grim stuff. Watching the Sri Lankan players board the helicopter in the middle of the square was surreal viewing. Apparently 5 members of the security team were killed in addition to the injured players. I guess it will take Pakistan a long time to recover from this within international cricket. What is the purpose / aims of the terrorists in this instance?

Saw the news footage this morning and it was grim stuff. Watching the Sri Lankan players board the helicopter in the middle of the square was surreal viewing. Apparently 5 members of the security team were killed in addition to the injured players. I guess it will take Pakistan a long time to recover from this within international cricket. What is the purpose / aims of the terrorists in this instance?

I also saw the footage this morning, and you can fully understand why players from other nations were worried for their security. I can't see Pakistan getting tours for a good few years to come, and rather shows up the ICC's proposal to defer the CHampions Trophy when it shouldn't have been awarded to Pakistan in the first place IMO.

Having seen the footage my first reaction that this may be the work of the Tamil Tigers, I am not sure what Pakistani (or other groups) would gain from attacking the Sri Lankan team. If this were the England or Australian teams you would see and understand their purpose.

That is the end for Pakistan now for home Tests. Who in their right mind would ever now want to tour that country again after this?

Talk of Australia playing Pakistan here in England after the Aussies have played their one dayers later in the summer.

Tragic day for cricket and sport in general.

I heard it mentioned today that Sri Lanka had withdrawn from all future cricket competitions, with the exception of the Hong Kong Sixes

Back