• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadia you've been to.

Favourite — The highest ground: The Hawthorns —fantastic atmosphere with the country’s best fans ( Liverpool being a possible challenger here).
I have been to West Brom this season. Thought the atmosphere from home fans was very poor. Used to be a much better atmosphere there 15+ years ago.

I have been to West Brom this season. Thought the atmosphere from home fans was very poor. Used to be a much better atmosphere there 15+ years ago.
Very loud throughout , again tonight. (Just the 4 goals past Bentley).Which was the game you saw ?

Still need to do 13 more for the ever-changing 92 grounds, but...

BEST: The Emirates press box, where the hospitality is the best in the world! The atmosphere is also the best of the new-style stadiums as well.

WORST: Carlisle and Exeter. Horrible people running the press box; mean, stingy, and in the case of Carlisle, a very long way for not a lot.

FAVOURITE: Craven Cottage; a fab walk to the ground (park or river) from either direction, and a great combination of old and new.
The old Valley and that massive terrace was likewise impressive, but the same could be said of our old South Bank.
Roots Hall looked old when it was built (those barrel roofs?) but I have a genuine fondness for the place.

Still need to do 13 more for the ever-changing 92 grounds, but...

BEST: The Emirates press box, where the hospitality is the best in the world! The atmosphere is also the best of the new-style stadiums as well.

WORST: Carlisle and Exeter. Horrible people running the press box; mean, stingy, and in the case of Carlisle, a very long way for not a lot.

FAVOURITE: Craven Cottage; a fab walk to the ground (park or river) from either direction, and a great combination of old and new.
The old Valley and that massive terrace was likewise impressive, but the same could be said of our old South Bank.
Roots Hall looked old when it was built (those barrel roofs?) but I have a genuine fondness for the place.

Press are there to do a job and report on the match. There is no particular justification for providing them with "hospitality".

Press are there to do a job and report on the match. There is no particular justification for providing them with "hospitality".
I should have made clear that it in this case it meant things like team sheet and/or programme: the very least requirements to do the job.
Indeed. They aren't overly provided with it at cricket.
Really? And you know this how?

Because I work in County Cricket. It depends what you regard as acceptable "hospitality". The facilities are excellent, but they generally provide their own lunch and so on. PM me and I'll be happy to discuss offline.

Point taken on the programmes and team sheets in football.

Last edited:
Best : Ajax - Johan Cruijff Arena (simply for my time in the Netherlands where my son was mad on Ajax and I saw AC/DC there)

Worst: Vitesse Arnhem - Gelredome Arnhem (thanks to Axl Rose/Guns and Roses making me wait two hours for him to get on stage)

Favourite: New Wembley (For the experience of the play off final where I took all my kids team I managed and their parents to) Match was crap but hey, what a day in the end.

I should have made clear that it in this case it meant things like team sheet and/or programme: the very least requirements to do the job.

Team sheet obviously essential and no excuse for not providing one. If you need a programme as well to do your job, buy one like the supporters have to !

You fooled me into thinking you were talking about something more exotic than teamsheets by saying "The Emirates press box, where the hospitality is the best in the world! "

Team sheet obviously essential and no excuse for not providing one. If you need a programme as well to do your job, buy one like the supporters have to !

You fooled me into thinking you were talking about something more exotic than teamsheets by saying "The Emirates press box, where the hospitality is the best in the world! "
You don't get it, mate.
I shared my experiences from a different point of view hoping they might be interesting.
Most journos are not 'supporters', and the issue of a programme is all but universal in English football.
A cup of tea and upwards is a given as well.
Media at clubs, including ours, see other media as colleagues and try to be as helpful and generous as possible.
As said, I need 13 more to complete the lot and everywhere there is hospitality apart from the two I listed.
Because I work in County Cricket. It depends what you regard as acceptable "hospitality". The facilities are excellent, but they generally provide their own lunch and so on. PM me and I'll be happy to discuss offline.

Point taken on the programmes and team sheets in football.
Have worked at Newlands, Lord's (both county and Test); Kensington Oval, Our Oval, Notts (Trent Bridge), Warwickshire (Edgbaston) - and always rated the set-ups there for media including refreshments. PM me if you have different experiences.

I do, I'm just not over enthralled with journalists and media people generally ....... and at this time in particular.

Now I know you're one, I'll view your posts with a more critical eye :Winking:
Criticise (or appreciate) away! Nearly, but never had a direct job reporting on our beloved Blues, btw.
On Southend I have no agenda, just a lot of pain over 57 years sprinkled with the odd moment of bliss!
Am intrigued as to why media are always the pantomime villains? Is it just the season? :Thumbs up:

Have worked at Newlands, Lord's (both county and Test); Kensington Oval, Our Oval, Notts (Trent Bridge), Warwickshire (Edgbaston) - and always rated the set-ups there for media including refreshments. PM me if you have different experiences.

Have PM'd. :Thumbs up:

Not different experiences, by the way. As I mentioned, Cloud FM has an excellent set-up, as does the county in general.

Last edited:

That's interesting. I find the atmosphere is pretty sterile there. The new Spurs ground, when it gets rocking, really holds the noise in. It was ear splitting loud at times on Tuesday.
Criticise (or appreciate) away! Nearly, but never had a direct job reporting on our beloved Blues, btw.
On Southend I have no agenda, just a lot of pain over 57 years sprinkled with the odd moment of bliss!
Am intrigued as to why media are always the pantomime villains? Is it just the season? :Thumbs up:

Mick's a referee (or was). So was I. It makes a change for other people to get at moaned for doing their jobs.

Mick will also know that any level of football above parks, it is obligatory to provide the refereeing team with a programme and refreshments. I don't see why it would be different from the press.

Mick's a referee (or was). So was I. It makes a change for other people to get at moaned for doing their jobs.

Mick will also know that any level of football above parks, it is obligatory to provide the refereeing team with a programme and refreshments. I don't see why it would be different from the press.

I never thought of it as a job, more a hobby.

It is no longer obligatory to even produce a physical programme, let alone provide copies for the officials.

When it comes to best food don't think you could beat the Aggborough pies:Clap:

Back