• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadium plans called in

Hey I just pasted my 1000th post without realising .....Do I Get an Oscar or something ?;)

All classic and worthwhile I add.

Last edited:
Hey I just pasted my 1000th post without realising .....Do I Get an Oscar or something ?;)

No!

You can have one of these though -

:flamer:

:D

Anyway back on topic, I guess it was inevitable this was going to happen but it;s not over by a long shot and I still think it will go ahead!

That f***ing great, I was looking forward to see the new ground in 2008/09 - now the stupid tart & her goverment delay it. Both local councils have approved the plan, its would take 3 or so week to sort it not 20 week, are our goverment so thick they want time to look at SUFC Stadium plan application.

What a s*** 3 days!

No reason why we can't move in half way through the 2008/09 season a la Doncaster, who moved into the Keepmoat Stadium January 1st this year.

Sussex by the sea will hopefully put this in context.......As I see him lurking!;)

Club Chairman, Ron Martin, has issued the following statement.

"These procedures are an integral, but nevertheless disappointing, part of the UK's planning system.They are designed to ensure compliance with Central Government Policy which the Club's planning application achieves.

"Southend Borough Council together with Rochford District Council and Southend United are all singing from the same hymn sheet and therefore one wonders, other than delay, what a Public Inquiry will achieve.

"Included within our submissions are substantial community benefits which we are all anxious to progress.Nevertheless there is a great deal of work we can be getting on with whilst this progress "winds out" and there is every reason to remain positive.This next step in the Club's planned new stadium is a hurdle rather than a barrier.

"With the support of Southend and Rochford Councils we remain determined to succeed."

Club Spokesperson David Scriven added: "Having learnt from the Government Office this morning that they wish to hold a Public Inquiry, the Club's planners (Savills) have already been in touch with the Government Office that coordinates the arrangements.

"This process is almost identical to that which happened in regards to the B&Q application at Fossetts Farm.Therefore we should perhaps not be surprised; but are nevertheless disappointed at the delay."

The Government Office advised that a date for the Inquiry can take around 20 weeks and the Inquiry itself may take three or four days with a further period before a decision is made.

Woah back there!!

2. The Brighton application is the precise reverse of ours. It was rejected by the local council, then Prezza called it in and approved it over the heads of the councillors because he liked to make himself popular with footy fans, and then the whole application got blown out of the water because the morons who submitted the application had failed to spot that the ground was (a) half within the borough of Lewes; and (b) on a designated site of "outstanding natural beauty".

Need to clarify the Brighton situation because it is similar.

Brighton & Hove did grant permission for the stadium which is in their boundaries. A small part of the associated development (coach park I think but I may be wrong) is in Lewes District who object. I have certainly never been aware of either BHA or the planners not being aware of where the district boundary was.

Prescott then approved the plans following a lengthy process, including a Public Inquiry, but made a mistake in his decision as to whether the plans were in the built-up area of Brighton & Hove so basically his decision has been challenged and the government have decided to look at it again.

So, the process Brighton & Hove Albion are still going through is the same as we will be going through. The major and important difference is that the planning rationale for a stadium is far less proven than ours because as MtS says the stadium is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

As far as I can see the planning case for a stadium at FF is proven and not in doubt. The problem is with what Ron wants to put around the ground, retail etc. I have posted before on here that I didn't think the plans would get through Southend BC first time and that if they did it may be something of a hollow victory. I am fairly sure that Ron will have something up his sleeve before the Inquiry as I have always thought that the stadium application has had more associated with it, retail, hotel, flats etc than is really needed. I would not be surprised if one or two of those elements alters before the Inquiry so that Ron can give the impression he is scaling down his plans to address government concerns.

The important thing is not to get too hung up about timescales - if the Inquiry rejected the plans that would not necessarily be a no to a stadium forever but possibly an indication that it needs to be done in a different way. It may take longer but there is no reason why we cannot get there in the end if the Club shows some flexibility with their proposals.

Wtf do they want a Public enquiry?.. Surely if both councils have given it the go ahead its decided. God it makes me mad the amount of money wasted by "Figures in Power".:mad:

I agree with your points about the surrouding areas of the Stadium Sussex....But those too, were addressed at the meeting when the plans were approved.......I still say it's all Bollix and just keeps government figures in profile to look like they are doing there overpaid jobs and to waste more time and Tax payers money...The Fact you said its within Government lines to call these type of issues in, again stinks of bureauracy gone mad once more.:mad:

Last edited:
Wtf do they want a Public enquiry?.. Surely if both councils have given it the go ahead its decided. God it makes me mad the amount of money wasted by "Figures in Power".:mad:

Cricko this government is the most bureaucratic and centralist in the history of British government. Stalin would be proud of them. They've perfected the art of spending more money than most other governments whilst geting less the other end than most governments.

Cricko this government is the most bureaucratic and centralist in the history of British government. Stalin would be proud of them. They've perfected the art of spending more money than most other governments whilst geting less the other end than most governments.

Sadly I do not make you wrong mate.:(

Why the f**k does it take 20 weeks to organise an inquiry and how much money is going to be wasted in the process? Sounds like a terminally ill government lining its pockets before it finally ****s off :mad:

Even if it was given the all-clear, I don't think we were ready to send in the bull-dozers.

As far as I'm aware no arrangements are in place to finance this. Has anyone heard differently?

I agree with your points about the surrouding areas of the Stadium Sussex....But those too, were addressed at the meeting when the plans were approved.......I still say it's all Bollix and just keeps government figures in profile to look like they are doing there overpaid jobs and to waste more time and Tax payers money...The Fact you said its within Government lines to call these type of issues in, again stinks of bureauracy gone mad once more.:mad:

I understand what you say, Cricko, but some of the issues weren't addressed to the satisfaction of the Council's professional officers. If I remember rightly, there was concern about the effect of the retail element upon the town centre and whether the highways proposals were adequate. The officers recommendation that there was insufficient info on these points would have been on the technical information available and therefore it is not unreasonable for the government to want to check these points further.

What is annoying is the length of time it takes to get an Inquiry arranged by the government. I can speak from personal experience that while Council planning departments are expected to make decisions quickly and efficiently, the government doesn't seem to be subject to the same regulations...

Back