• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadium plans include 127 flats ?

Jam_Man

Life President
Interesting front page in the Echo today saying that the stadium plan includes 127 flats in 5 or 6 story buildings. The paper shows the picture of the big buildings which I assumed was the hotel.

Ron has says its part of the plan to make the stadium a 24/7 living environment.

Seems odd it was never mentioned in any announcements and seems to have been put in quietly.

rock.gif

Are we sure on this one? (Not being able to get the Echo can someone elaborate)?

Im sure its in the paper, I have it in front of me
smile.gif

Sure its true ?, no idea. Not on their site yet.

Theres a quote from Ron about the flats there though so adds a little credibility.

It is true - and it has been in all the press announcements, and in the matchday programme on Saturday.

You've just missed it! It has been well and truly covered...

cool.gif

Strangely enough I was looking at the applications on the Southend Council site yesterday.  Why strange? Well I do live in Maldon.  
rock.gif

Roots Hall plans - 2nd item

This, I presume some sort of outline application,  states 402 residential units.  And the demolition of a football stadium!  
sad.gif
Unfortunately the link through the reference applies to a signage application.

Yes, I wouldnt be surprised either.

Couple of things that make me thing it has substances :

1. If thats a hotel attached to the stadium, why is it so big ? Surely we dont need a hotel as big as the Hilton there ?

2. Rons quote "The flats are part of our plans to create a 24/7 environment at FF. When you have an out of town football stadium they can often be a target for graffiti and vandalism. We believe having people live on site would be a deterrent to t major problems arising, combined with the hotel".

Resident Sheila Gaylor said "moan moan whinge whinge"

Personally think this is a good reason for the project to get delayed. The area is supposedly only permitted to be used for commercial reasons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Oct. 17 2006,10:24)]This, I presume some sort of outline application,  states 402 residential units.  And the demolishion of a football stadium!  
sad.gif
Thats for Roots Hall, hope he isnt planning to demolish FF yet
smile.gif

ive heard rumours that a lot of the extras (hotel and some of the retail stuff) were put in with the expectation of them not going through, which is the rumour from the top... that we wont get a lot of the extras

sorry, i cant divulge my source but its from the very top i can tell you that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Oct. 17 2006,10:27)]Thats for Roots Hall, hope he isnt planning to demolish FF yet
smile.gif
Yea I know it's RH. I was just thinking out loud really that it's a total of around 530 residential units in total. In a very simplistic way lets say at £25k contribution each (yea right!) that's a tidy little profit for Ronster to go towards paying off the enabling funding. Make £50k on each & I like it even more.
biggrin.gif

If that's the case, then what is the point of the stadium??

We need the proposed Retail development to fund the project and to ensure our future do we not?...

Not good if true.

i was chatting to a guy i know who is a QS, he was saying that often with big out of town stadia, plans are submitted with lots of additional extras with the expectation that at least some of it wont be permitted by the council (which from my source is due to the council not wanting to detract from other retail areas like the high st, etc). it makes sense, try for lots and lots and hopefully you will end up with at least what you need (which for us is a stadium primarily). again, nothing is definite and i for one thinnk the plans will be great for the area and the kinds of shops going into the FF site wont really detract from other areas IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Oct. 17 2006,10:42)]If that's the case, then what is the point of the stadium??

We need the proposed Retail development to fund the project and to ensure our future do we not?...

Not good if true.

The project is still as it was, the hotel, retail etc.

The flats are in addition to the plan.

My guess is what we assumed was the hotel, the big brown eye sore stuck on the stadium is actually planned on being 127 flats, + a hotel.

Now some of the parts may get rejected but Im sure the retail park is key and will be one of the parts that ROn wont want to lose.

I am confused by posts on here as since the plans where made public it has always been stated that accommodation units will be built, some being used as places for the new and the young players to stay in.

If you remember it also mention that some of the hotel suites will turn into boxes for match days, so how did anyone think those flat type buildings to the north of the stadium were the hotel, as there is no way any of those suites could be turned into boxes.

So you can safely say the hotel would form part of a stand.

I guess it is time for us to trust the people who understand planning law to guide us and not listen to hearsay (well they were a bad band)

The other annoying thing is the Echo giving the Whinging old bag the opportunity to say that she thinks there are more people in the town that are opposed to it than for it.

How the f%&k does anyone know that.

Why didnt the Echo also get a quote from someone in favour, the echo should be helping the cause not fighting against it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Oct. 17 2006,11:20)]I am confused by posts on here as since the plans where made public it has always been stated that accommodation units will be built, some being used as places for the new and the young players to stay in.

If you remember it also mention that some of the hotel suites will turn into boxes for match days, so how did anyone think those flat type buildings to the north of the stadium were the hotel, as there is no way any of those suites could be turned into boxes.
When you say north, I assume you mean east ?

The big brown eyesore is 3 or 4 6/7 storey buildings, my assumption was it was the hotel and conference facilities. As some of the rooms act as boxes only part of the "hotel" would need to attach to the stadium.

With hindsight it does look obvious its too big to be just the hotel.

Whilst stating accomodation units were being built, that doesnt really imply 127 flats, which is a major project on its own.

I can understand why its made the front page as this does seem to have been sneaked in. Even the first pictures released had that part obscured by the barmaid picture.

Anyway, who wants to live behind a football stadium and retail park !?!

Back