• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

None of the delays are the Councils fault. On the whole they have been very supportive of the plans for a long long time.

If Ron doesn't have the plans in an submittable state and/or the finances secured, then what are the Council supposed to do.

This is all Ron and the excuse of "Banking crisis" etc no longer cuts it I'm afraid. Loads of clubs have sorted themselves a new home since.

Last chance to deliver this summer, or step aside and invite others to see the project through, even if it is a significantly lower spec build.

None of the delays are the Councils fault. On the whole they have been very supportive of the plans for a long long time.

If Ron doesn't have the plans in an submittable state and/or the finances secured, then what are the Council supposed to do.

This is all Ron and the excuse of "Banking crisis" etc no longer cuts it I'm afraid. Loads of clubs have sorted themselves a new home since.

Last chance to deliver this summer, or step aside and invite others to see the project through, even if it is a significantly lower spec build.

You mean not all of the delays are the council's fault. There's no doubt in my mind that there is fault on both sides. I would guess that (in this latest round) Ron didn't initially supply sufficient information. However, I would also guess that the council are the ones delaying things now. After all, it was they that asked for a 6 month extension.

This the same council that can hold a special planning meeting at very short notice to push through one of their own pet projects yet keep deferring on convening regards FFS?

Are you all mad,Dodgy Ron has changed tack on numerous occasions.Do we need a multi screen cinema ? The Odeon doesn't get full capacity hardly ever.A shopping centre, nope.The High Street tells its own story ! A three sided stadium,whopee.Will we ever see the forth side ?The road network around the proposed stadium is dreadful nowadays.How can that be improved ? Only a thousand odd parking spaces, wow.Just enough for the residents of the proposed residential properties. I would be very surprised if the stadium plans get the go ahead in their present guise.The club is a prisoner to RM,due to his taking the ownership of Roots Hall from the club.We owe stupid amounts of money in back rent.We are held by the cahones by Martin Dawn,aka RM.We are up the creek without a paddle.

And Seaway is better planned is it, come off it!! Have you ever noticed the 'road' network' around Roots Hall with it's sub-1,000 capacity car-park ?

Are you all mad,Dodgy Ron has changed tack on numerous occasions.Do we need a multi screen cinema ? The Odeon doesn't get full capacity hardly ever.A shopping centre, nope.The High Street tells its own story ! A three sided stadium,whopee.Will we ever see the forth side ?The road network around the proposed stadium is dreadful nowadays.How can that be improved ? Only a thousand odd parking spaces, wow.Just enough for the residents of the proposed residential properties. I would be very surprised if the stadium plans get the go ahead in their present guise.The club is a prisoner to RM,due to his taking the ownership of Roots Hall from the club.We owe stupid amounts of money in back rent.We are held by the cahones by Martin Dawn,aka RM.We are up the creek without a paddle.

I’ve long doubted the idea about the supposed “self sustaining” aspect of the new stadium.

It’s nonsense IMO. Whatever money the retail elements generate, will be Ron’s money. Not ours. We have no claim to it.

So if Ron sells up - which I think is a very good probability - he takes those revenue streams, with him.

So why and how is the new stadium, self sustaining? I thought that was the sole reason, for us needing to move.

The only “benefit” to the move that I can see, is that we’d get a new stadium.

If anyone can offer any clarity, I’d be very grateful.

Oh, but please spare me any Ron-style nonsense, by claiming that the new ground could stage World Championship Boxing events. Just don’t.

I’ve long doubted the idea about the supposed “self sustaining” aspect of the new stadium.

It’s nonsense IMO. Whatever money the retail elements generate, will be Ron’s money. Not ours. We have no claim to it.

So if Ron sells up - which I think is a very good probability - he takes those revenue streams, with him.

So why and how is the new stadium, self sustaining? I thought that was the sole reason, for us needing to move.

The only “benefit” to the move that I can see, is that we’d get a new stadium.

If anyone can offer any clarity, I’d be very grateful.

Oh, but please spare me any Ron-style nonsense, by claiming that the new ground could stage World Championship Boxing events. Just don’t.

My understanding is that the hotel (built into the stadium), conference facilities etc would provide additional income for the club. The retail element is indeed Ron's baby. Whether or not that would create enough income is debatable though...

What's your answer then, presumably not noticed RH is becoming unfit for purpose.

Yes, I’ve noticed that Roots Hall is dilapidated, and a gnats **** away from being condemned. I assure you, it hasn’t escaped my attention.

But the sole reason for leaving the old place, was so that we, as a club, could become self sufficient. That was the point, agreed?

So, the simple question is, how will the new ground, allow this club to be self sustaining, when the revenue streams attached to it, will be nothing to do with Southend United Football Club.

It’s relatively easy to dismiss what I’ve just said, with the counterclaim that Roots Hall is a **** hole, but it doesn’t actually address the issue, does it.

The way I see it, we’ll end up in a shiny new stadium, with the same cashflow issues that we’re being hurt by now. And that’s without including the idea of living within our means, playing in lower divisions, reduced attendances, and a potential three-sided Meccano eyesore.

My understanding is that the hotel (built into the stadium), conference facilities etc would provide additional income for the club. The retail element is indeed Ron's baby. Whether or not that would create enough income is debatable though...

Ok, I take that on board, but If we own the Hotel/Conference facilities, wouldn’t that mean we’d have to subsidise it, aswell?

If we (SUFC) are accessing 100% of the profits, then we’re liable for 100% of the running, right?

So if that doesn’t run at a profit, we, the football club, would essentially have to prop it up?

Edit: So what we could end up with, is a club that is still struggling with cashflow issues, but now also has to be finance it’s own revenue stream.

Last edited:
Ok, I take that on board, but If we own the Hotel/Conference facilities, wouldn’t that mean we’d have to subsidise it, aswell?

If we (SUFC) are accessing 100% of the profits, then we’re liable for 100% of the running, right?

So if that doesn’t run at a profit, we, the football club, would essentially have to prop it up?

Again, not my understanding. We won't "own" the hotel, we'll be charging rent of some sort. After all, let the experts run the hotel, which (probably) includes the conference facilities.

I'm not sure how the income from the flats built into the stadium will work either, but it would be difficult to consider those part of the retail element...

Again, not my understanding. We won't "own" the hotel, we'll be charging rent of some sort. After all, let the experts run the hotel, which (probably) includes the conference facilities.

Ah I see, that makes sense.

Although it’s a little underwhelming tbh. If we’re currently £200k in the hole every month, I can’t see how the rent from a hotel could plug that, in the future.

Although it’s a little underwhelming tbh. If we’re currently £200k in the hole every month, I can’t see how the rent from a hotel could plug that, in the future.

Indeed. As I said, it's difficult to know if the extra revenue streams will be enough.

Well these is all an interesting questions.

At the moment the club "The Southend United Football Club Limited" actually now "Own" nothing and has no assets with the exception of probably the players registrations.

The club will not "Own" anything at Fossetts Farm either, the new training ground, the retail units, the cinema, the residential units, the hotel, and the actual stadium will be owned by another company owned by Ron or another party if he sells up.

The club will probably have to either lease the stadium and training ground, or rent it from the owner. But I can not see any new revenue streams for the club other than what we have now.

Unless Ron has a cunning master plan for the club.

Well these is all an interesting questions.

At the moment the club "The Southend United Football Club Limited" actually now "Own" nothing and has no assets with the exception of probably the players registrations.

The club will not "Own" anything at Fossetts Farm either, the new training ground, the retail units, the cinema, the residential units, the hotel, and the actual stadium will be owned by another company owned by Ron or another party if he sells up.

The club will probably have to either lease the stadium and training ground, or rent it from the owner. But I can not see any new revenue streams for the club other than what we have now.

Unless Ron has a cunning master plan for the club.

IIRC, Ron said he was going to give the stadium & the training facilities back to the club, so we’d own it outright and be rent free.

Of course, all we can do at this stage is take Ron at face value, which may not fill anyone with confidence.

Where did you get £200k / mth from?

Back