• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

If I was the planning officer considering the application (which I used to be many years ago, but not in this area), I'd definitely be sticking this on as a condition to the planning consent - a proper tarmacced and lit footpath link through to Warner's Bridge, paid for by the developer.

Will all be very interesting- one wonders if all the this and that paid by the developer, and conditions on this and that, and delays for this and that will be quite so prominent given SBC is "effectively" also the applicant through its development partner... Councils have a long track record of giving themselves planning with the minimum of fuss and restrictions.

I look forward to the final stadium plans and news of how the club will be set up financially once the move is completed. My fear is that we could swop one nightmare scenario for another, with the only change being that Ron has finally made his retirement millions. In an ideal world I would like to see the new ground owned by the club, with no debt, and new owner/s to take the club forward.

We have to wait to see the final plans of course and this will keep us going for months to come. If fundamentally it is the same plans with retail replaced by residential then in theory the following will be true:
1. Ultimately 21000 stadium with Hotel in main stand (SUFC income streams as before)
2. SUFC will own the stadium per Ron's commitment and hence no rent (Housing England funding stadium as an enabling payment given housing development)
3. I believe also some (note some) of the flats will be allocated to SUFC (maybe those integrated with the stadium in the plans and hence providing a further income stream)

If the above remains true or even near true the financial situation of the club will be a world removed from where it is now with every chance of a sustainable footing.

About 5 years!

If it were our new plans independent of SBC you wouldn't find too many arguing.

I think you will find Ron has known about the housing replacing retail piece for months and that there are already plans drawn up and agreed in principle.

I expect SBC will find their own plans very pleasing, will congratulate themselves very much on them, struggle to see how anyone could not support such obviously brilliant proposals, and award themselves planning permission to get on with their brilliant idea (getting rapidly to a position where their income streams start post construction) without delay...

We have to wait to see the final plans of course and this will keep us going for months to come. If fundamentally it is the same plans with retail replaced by residential then in theory the following will be true:
1. Ultimately 21000 stadium with Hotel in main stand (SUFC income streams as before)
2. SUFC will own the stadium per Ron's commitment and hence no rent (Housing England funding stadium as an enabling payment given housing development)
3. I believe also some (note some) of the flats will be allocated to SUFC (maybe those integrated with the stadium in the plans and hence providing a further income stream)

If the above remains true or even near true the financial situation of the club will be a world removed from where it is now with every chance of a sustainable footing.
If that turns out to be the case, that will be excellent as the club should be self sufficient. I wasn’t aware that RM had made a commitment that the club will own the new stadium.

I'm not aware of these proposals, can you provide a link please?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any public footpaths linking Southend Airport station, via the rugby club through to Temple Farm. That's a bit of a shame as it's probably only about a 20 minute walk from there to the northern part of the ground

I'm not aware of these proposals, can you provide a link please?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any public footpaths linking Southend Airport station, via the rugby club through to Temple Farm. That's a bit of a shame as it's probably only about a 20 minute walk from there to the northern part of the ground

I don't have a link but when I went to the BL presentation at the Blues Lounge 4/5 years ago, I pointed out the obvious problem to solve the road access problem. The guy I was chatting with seemed very interested and had maps out etc.

I found it hard to believe they had not considered it so contacted my local councillor Ron Woodley. He said they had plans going back 20 odd years to continue Fossetts way to the Airport and link up with the Tesco roundabout. That would include rebuilding Warners Bridge.

The reason he gave me as to why it had not happened was that part of the scheme went onto Rochfords land so the two councils could not agree.

As Massimo says there is an unofficial path that leads past the rugby pitches. There is a good opportunity for Southend rugby club to put a better path in and open their bar for football fans when and if the stadium ever happens.

I have been to a decent pub in Shrewsbury a couple times that does a good pint and really nice food. You get a return coach for £2 to the ground. The ruby club could do the same. It would be easy to run a shuttle service up and down the industrial park. I'm sure many would get off the train at the Airport and make use of the club if it was available.

Yes there is public footpath rochford side of Warner’s bridge comes out at rugby club entrance only 10 minutes but would be no good for winter football on a cold January night

I don't have a link but when I went to the BL presentation at the Blues Lounge 4/5 years ago, I pointed out the obvious problem to solve the road access problem. The guy I was chatting with seemed very interested and had maps out etc.

I found it hard to believe they had not considered it so contacted my local councillor Ron Woodley. He said they had plans going back 20 odd years to continue Fossetts way to the Airport and link up with the Tesco roundabout. That would include rebuilding Warners Bridge.

The reason he gave me as to why it had not happened was that part of the scheme went onto Rochfords land so the two councils could not agree.

As Massimo says there is an unofficial path that leads past the rugby pitches. There is a good opportunity for Southend rugby club to put a better path in and open their bar for football fans when and if the stadium ever happens.

I have been to a decent pub in Shrewsbury a couple times that does a good pint and really nice food. You get a return coach for £2 to the ground. The ruby club could do the same. It would be easy to run a shuttle service up and down the industrial park. I'm sure many would get off the train at the Airport and make use of the club if it was available.

I think we briefly discussed this in this thread

Link

If that turns out to be the case, that will be excellent as the club should be self sufficient. I wasn’t aware that RM had made a commitment that the club will own the new stadium.

He also stated to an audience of around 40/50 people that he would write off any of the RH debt...... £17m at the time.

I’m coming round to the idea of it being built amoung a housing estate.

It represents an old-fashioned, salt-of-the-Earth, working man’s football club, which is far removed from the pomp and pageantry of an out-of-town soulless bowl, flanked by McDonald’s & crap bowling venues.

And on the plus side, when the big firms like Forest Green Rovers & Cheltenham roll into town, think of the fun we’ll have running them all over the estate.

He also stated to an audience of around 40/50 people that he would write off any of the RH debt...... £17m at the time.
Sounds encouraging. Hopefully RM will confirm this again either to The Echo or in a club statement. This would put my mind at rest that the club has a clear sustainable way forward.

I have read through and haven't seen but apologies if this is covered anywhere else.

Do we know the deal with where we train, is that to be affected by this?

Someone mentioned Ron donating some flats that overlooked the pitch - does this mean the stadium won't be the tallest build in the complex, picturing it in my head that feels weird, especially if a hotel is to be a part of it.

I only ever come to Southend for the football so can't picture the local geography but presumably it's a walk left from Prittlewell station now rather than right but similar distance?

Thanks all

Sounds encouraging. Hopefully RM will confirm this again either to The Echo or in a club statement. This would put my mind at rest that the club has a clear sustainable way forward.

The writing off the debt will only happen if the stadium happens. I dare say Ron himself wont believe it until work actually starts.

Be careful what you wish for re the club owning the new stadium - it’ll be the first thing the new owner sells...much better the council own it with an agreed 999 year lease at £1 a year

This was always the case, as long as FF happened. The question was always if and when. If Ron pulls this off, it’s kind of a “shut up and sit down” for a lot of people. Especially those predicting points deductions, non league football, end of SUFC etc. Still .... it’s an if and a when. Somehow this feels different though.

I have read through and haven't seen but apologies if this is covered anywhere else.

Do we know the deal with where we train, is that to be affected by this?

Someone mentioned Ron donating some flats that overlooked the pitch - does this mean the stadium won't be the tallest build in the complex, picturing it in my head that feels weird, especially if a hotel is to be a part of it.

I only ever come to Southend for the football so can't picture the local geography but presumably it's a walk left from Prittlewell station now rather than right but similar distance?

Thanks all
Other direction walking out of Prittlewell station yes, but a good 20-25 mins to the site.

This was always the case, as long as FF happened. The question was always if and when. If Ron pulls this off, it’s kind of a “shut up and sit down” for a lot of people. Especially those predicting points deductions, non league football, end of SUFC etc. Still .... it’s an if and a when. Somehow this feels different though.

I'd agree with that, as I've said earlier in this thread we have a real possibility of having a brand spanking new stadium and a team made up of some very good academy graduates, forget all the late wages and close calls, that will be Ron's legacy and it's far better than we could have had with other owners

Why do you think SBC will fail to approve their own plans? In the past it was someone else’s
simple I don't believe southend council really want the stadium to go forward , lets be honest would be easier for them if the club folded and ron sold them the land for houses. Sorry but never have believed SBC. Too many people in that council operating under their own agendas

Back