• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

Quite- so many people have bemoaned the moving of football grounds out of their original community settings, that most were originally in, to out of town and retail park locations. So many will indeed see this development as a good thing.

Long as the flats stay 100 yard away from the stadium, not too close, as we wouldn’t want to be like Brentford new stadium, whose their ground is limited with flats close by.

Well stated Pubey.
I am not anti the new plans for FF or Roots Hall, and affordable housing is certainly an area priority.
However I don't want that housing to be used by London Boroughs to house their undesirables, or indeed "normal" tenants over the needs of local folk. I would hope they will include a quota for council, NHS, other civil duty workers (as happened with new town corporations in 1950-1980 period).
I am very set against the ideas that this SBC has for Queensway, Town Centre and Seafront development; for me they are decades behind; and instead of try to catch up from such a backward start they should be recognising that High Street retail is yesteryears gone, and housing in stacked high or medium rise is not desirable living.

Reckless to the extreme, or spent 15 years juggling all the debtors and playing hmrc like a violin.

From what i can see ron is the master of robbing peter to pay paul.

He has been here 22 years
blimey it was pretty packed in there with the 32k-odd that did get in, not sure where another 3k would have squeezed in..

If I remember correct the Scousers returned several thousand tickets when the Saturday game was called off. They were due to have the whole of the north bank. We ended up with a gap in the middle and Southend fans had one side with some of the returned tickets. I seem to remember that that part of the ground had the most space

If I remember correct the Scousers returned several thousand tickets when the Saturday game was called off. They were due to have the whole of the north bank. We ended up with a gap in the middle and Southend fans had one side with some of the returned tickets. I seem to remember that that part of the ground had the most space

As well as printing the programme for the game, we also printed the tickets. We delivered them on the morning they went on sale, & had to drive through many fans queuing all round the car park. As we literally crawled along to the Main Office in the company small Bedford van, alongside crowds of fans, i wondered if they'd known what we had in the back, whether some would have attempted to open the door & nick a boxful!.
I cant recall the total amount we printed, but it definitely wasn't 35,000.

As well as printing the programme for the game, we also printed the tickets. We delivered them on the morning they went on sale, & had to drive through many fans queuing all round the car park. As we literally crawled along to the Main Office in the company small Bedford van, alongside crowds of fans, i wondered if they'd known what we had in the back, whether some would have attempted to open the door & nick a boxful!.
I cant recall the total amount we printed, but it definitely wasn't 35,000.
I still have a complete unused South Bank ticket for the Liverpool game. It wasn't my ticket but the person that gave it to me went to the game and after a while they got let in through the exit gates rather than the turnstiles.

He has been here 22 years

Correct Liverpool returned a few thousand Tickets

For Manchester City it was heavy rain throughout. Although a sell out there was plenty of room where I stood, bottom corner West Stand. Incidentally Bert Trautmen, one of the worlds great goalkeepers, said in his book, this was his finest game.
Yes,the paddock(east side) too — I don’t recall people jolting the stool I always had to stand on to see over the wall.
And yes,nobody who was there could ever forget Bernt Trautmann’s performance—it was even better than Paul Smith’s at Brentford !

Yes,the paddock(east side) too — I don’t recall people jolting the stool I always had to stand on to see over the wall.
And yes,nobody who was there could ever forget Bernt Trautmann’s performance—it was even better than Paul Smith’s at Brentford !
I was right behind the goal in the North stand leaning on the wall. I can still see his saves diving in all that mud.

For Manchester City it was heavy rain throughout. Although a sell out there was plenty of room where I stood, bottom corner West Stand. Incidentally Bert Trautmen, one of the worlds great goalkeepers, said in his book, this was his finest game.
Perhaps it was due to Trautmann's great performance the year earlier, that, IIRC, the billboards of a national paper around match day (was it the Evening News or The Star?), concentrated on Gil Merrick's views on the coming Birmingham City Cup clash with Southend United?

In my head now it's going to be Le Corbusier's utopia. Modernist 'towers in the park' a la unite d'habitation providing generously appointed social housing, blending effortlessly into a state of the art stadium, with one side banked by a forest area that as well as offering first-class views of the action for squirrels, provides opportunities for wholesome outdoor activities for a new breed of curious working-class children. Nature, society and modern architecture in harmony.

In my head now it's going to be Le Corbusier's utopia. Modernist 'towers in the park' a la unite d'habitation providing generously appointed social housing, blending effortlessly into a state of the art stadium, with one side banked by a forest area that as well as offering first-class views of the action for squirrels, provides opportunities for wholesome outdoor activities for a new breed of curious working-class children. Nature, society and modern architecture in harmony.

RIBA award for 2022 sorted then? :Hilarious:

Yep, he was on fire that day. :Winking:

In the literally thousands of matches I have seen, it's hard to recall a better performance than Paul Smith's at Brentford. Trevor Roberts ran him close at, I think, Exeter one year.

I haven't read it, but apparently in Bert Trautman's autobiography he says that's the best game he ever played.

Yep, he was on fire that day. :Winking:

In the literally thousands of matches I have seen, it's hard to recall a better performance than Paul Smith's at Brentford. Trevor Roberts ran him close at, I think, Exeter one year.
Yep—misspelt by me-his actual name : Bernd: is pronounced bearnt and is of course Bernard in English, not Bert,which is short for Albert—Albrecht in German.

Back