• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

It does mention 26,000 houses over the next 20 years. That surely makes the latest FF plan as safe as......houses

On the other hand if we went bust you could build another 1000 where the stadium was going to go....Then the domes and over the road to where the academy and 'green' parking would have gone.
Seeing that the borough is developed virtually to its borders,can't see other than upwards or Victoria Avenue conversions that figure can be met.
Also where are the jobs for all these new people?When you think of all the jobs gone from Victoria Avenue and companies like Access ,Ekco etc ....there are no major employers left apart from Keymed

Seeing as this is no longer about additional revenue streams that were previously deemed the big reason to leave roots hall, would it not be better to just build an extra 500 homes at Fossetts and stay at roots hall with a full rebuild?

I mean the whole point of Fossetts was revenue streams. There is no longer the revenue streams there.

I'd rather stay at the hall and build the stadium there.

Obviously this won't happen but it is a bit **** that we are moving there just for the sake of a new stadium now. And potentially a 3 sided one at that!

Then we would have to ground share for 18 months/two years. A new build is about 30% cheaper than a rebuild and there are different VAT rules on materials.

No one has said the hotel has been cancelled and there is far more room to move around a new stadium as opposed to RH. More room to park, next to the training ground and what about the domes.

It would be easier to hold say a music event at FF.

Seeing that the borough is developed virtually to its borders,can't see other than upwards or Victoria Avenue conversions that figure can be met.
Also where are the jobs for all these new people?When you think of all the jobs gone from Victoria Avenue and companies like Access ,Ekco etc ....there are no major employers left apart from Keymed
With the way golf playing numbers are falling I would not be surprised to see the Thorpe Bay GC project resurrected, room for 1000 homes on that site, and at very good prices, commutable etc. And then the M o D land that is left at Shoeburyness too, a larger site.

Is the new training ground still going ahead .Along with that giant jigsaw puzzle that sitting all around boots and laces at the moment .

Seeing as this is no longer about additional revenue streams that were previously deemed the big reason to leave roots hall, would it not be better to just build an extra 500 homes at Fossetts and stay at roots hall with a full rebuild?

I mean the whole point of Fossetts was revenue streams. There is no longer the revenue streams there.

I'd rather stay at the hall and build the stadium there.

Obviously this won't happen but it is a bit **** that we are moving there just for the sake of a new stadium now. And potentially a 3 sided one at that!

Those revenue streams were never for SUFC. They were for Ron and family. They still are. Instead of commercial it's now residential.

Those revenue streams were never for SUFC. They were for Ron and family. They still are. Instead of commercial it's now residential.

That just leaves a 21,000 seat brand new stadium to pay for......Oh and a state of the art cat 2 academy.....Then there's the 2 domes and extra parking next too the academy......Ok he will have to build some roads and a viaduct but apart from that what will Ron ever do for us.

That just leaves a 21,000 seat brand new stadium to pay for......Oh and a state of the art cat 2 academy.....Then there's the 2 domes and extra parking next too the academy......Ok he will have to build some roads and a viaduct but apart from that what will Ron ever do for us.

I think we can safely say that the dome which is stored over at boots and laces is completely ruined now. It's been sat there for years. Must be rusty and unsafe.

If you look at the Borough boundaries you will be surprised how much land to the east of Fossets down towards Wakering is 'Southend' land.
Rochford Council are indicating much more development from Wakering towards Shoebury and the Southend boundaries.
In the not too distant future I can see Southend/Shoebury and Wakering becoming one large connurbation.
The Government have already said that if Southend can't build out then it should build upwards, 8 storeys is regarded as OK, lack of land is not seen by the Government as an excuse for not hitting the 20k+ target. Flats and apartments are very intensive use of land area...

You only have to look at OS maps from around 1967 up to 1980 for the Shoebury area to see just how much housing can happen. The 'two Shoeburys' became one and merged with the Bournes Green area within a matter of little more than 10 years.
In 1968 I knew most of the people in Shoebury Village, by the time I moved away in 1978 I knew a small percentage of the population of Shoebury. In the 60's when I went with my parents at Sunday lunchtime to the local club I knew virtually everyone there by 1978 I knew only a small number in that same club. The whole feel of Shoebury changed...

I think we can safely say that the dome which is stored over at boots and laces is completely ruined now. It's been sat there for years. Must be rusty and unsafe.

why would storing something made of steel that is designed to be erected outside, outside make it less safe and more rusty than if it was erected?

If you look at the Borough boundaries you will be surprised how much land to the east of Fossets down towards Wakering is 'Southend' land.
Rochford Council are indicating much more development from Wakering towards Shoebury and the Southend boundaries.
In the not too distant future I can see Southend/Shoebury and Wakering becoming one large connurbation.
The Government have already said that if Southend can't build out then it should build upwards, 8 storeys is regarded as OK, lack of land is not seen by the Government as an excuse for not hitting the 20k+ target. Flats and apartments are very intensive use of land area...

You only have to look at OS maps from around 1967 up to 1980 for the Shoebury area to see just how much housing can happen. The 'two Shoeburys' became one and merged with the Bournes Green area within a matter of little more than 10 years.
In 1968 I knew most of the people in Shoebury Village, by the time I moved away in 1978 I knew a small percentage of the population of Shoebury. In the 60's when I went with my parents at Sunday lunchtime to the local club I knew virtually everyone there by 1978 I knew only a small number in that same club. The whole feel of Shoebury changed...

That's all well and good, but the road infrastructure will HAVE to be improved, there will have to be more schools, surgerys and probably a bigger hospital. We are a grid lock town already.

With the way golf playing numbers are falling I would not be surprised to see the Thorpe Bay GC project resurrected, room for 1000 homes on that site, and at very good prices, commutable etc. And then the M o D land that is left at Shoeburyness too, a larger site.

Can add to that the land North of Bournes Green Chase, to the East of Thorpe Hall School all the way along to Star Lane. Wakering and Barling fall under Rochford Counci’s jurisdiction which coverS a massive area in comparison to SBC.

Can add to that the land North of Bournes Green Chase, to the East of Thorpe Hall School all the way along to Star Lane. Wakering and Barling fall under Rochford Counci’s jurisdiction which coverS a massive area in comparison to SBC.

The land to the north of Bournes Greens Chase, east of Thorpe Hall School and across to Star Lane are actually in Southend Borough. Rochford are potentially aiming to build up to Star Lane from Wakering and down to the Borough boundary at Shoebury.

Yep, I know, as was inferred In my text.

Unfortunately RDC are a law unto themselves when it comes to planning / housing with very little interest in improving transport links In conjunction with new developments.

From what I can see when I drive past it's got a bit of rust, but it looks like it's made of stainless steel, so it's probably in better nick than people think.

From what I can see when I drive past it's got a bit of rust, but it looks like it's made of stainless steel, so it's probably in better nick than people think.
I doubt it is in condition from which it can not be assembled, it will be industrial grade steel and anti corrosion treated. Now the dome cover and fire burnt parts are another thing but they may have been covered by insurance? Hopefully!
My assumption is that the training facilities would be the first building area tackled after the necessary access and egress work, then the B &L site could be started and last would be Roots Hall?

Whilst I’m sure the work has continued behind the scenes since the announcement of the SBC/Citizen Housing/SBC deal, I can’t help but feel that Ron Martin has squandered a good opportunity to seize on the positive reaction to that particular piece of good news, and to further fuel that excitement/optimism with more details about what the next steps are and what the schedule/timescales are. But again, it’s announce a piece of positive news with as little detail attached as he can get away with, and then allow that initial burst of positivity in the wake of the announcement to dry up and fall off a cliff edge again with nothing but endless boring and unhelpful speculation amongst the fan base take its place. PR is really not his strength is it?

Yep, I know, as was inferred In my text.

Unfortunately RDC are a law unto themselves when it comes to planning / housing with very little interest in improving transport links In conjunction with new developments.

Yes, thought you were on the same track with regard to the land. :Thumbs up:

RDC have a bit of a history of doing their building right up at the edges of their area and building virtually no new infrastructure but using other area's, as they did with Cherry Orchard business park. Cherry Orchard Lane was upgraded but this gives access straight down to the Tesco roundabout and on to the A127 adding to the traffic coming out of the east of Southend which also includes any additional traffic from the growth of Wakering. A northern route out of the east of the Southend area will, inevitably, come; whether it will be in my lifetime is doubtful...

I doubt it is in condition from which it can not be assembled, it will be industrial grade steel and anti corrosion treated. Now the dome cover and fire burnt parts are another thing but they may have been covered by insurance? Hopefully!
My assumption is that the training facilities would be the first building area tackled after the necessary access and egress work, then the B &L site could be started and last would be Roots Hall?
It would be interesting to get Icespeedway's thoughts on this.

Looking at the previous plan for the site, I think we can assume that the land in red (which interestingly is shown as in the ownership of the Council, even though that's the training ground) will be subject to a new plan with housing on it.

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 13.21.29.png

Given the current land use is as below:

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 13.04.27.png

I think the first 3 sides of the stadium might get built first in order to free up Roots Hall, maybe even that and the training ground will be built together and then all the land for new housing is freed up.

I see that Homes England have put in a planning application for 145 homes on the site next to the stadium too (20/00337/OUTM | Erect 145 residential units with associated car parking, landscaping and ancillary works at land on Fossetts Way (Outline Application) | Land At Fossetts Farm Sutton Road Southend-On-Sea Essex) - not sure if this has been reported elsewhere.

Yes, thought you were on the same track with regard to the land. :Thumbs up:

RDC have a bit of a history of doing their building right up at the edges of their area and building virtually no new infrastructure but using other area's, as they did with Cherry Orchard business park. Cherry Orchard Lane was upgraded but this gives access straight down to the Tesco roundabout and on to the A127 adding to the traffic coming out of the east of Southend which also includes any additional traffic from the growth of Wakering. A northern route out of the east of the Southend area will, inevitably, come; whether it will be in my lifetime is doubtful...

Way back in the early 70's this was proposed as part of the Maplin airport plan. It would have run along the back of Hullbridge Sports FC.

If it had of happened it would have saved hours of commuting time for so many shrimpers. You never know uncle Vic may have already moved the club to somewhere like Hockley.

Back