• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

Can anyone explain scoping and when we can realistically expect a green light?

I'm told that whilst some routes were very profitable, notably Amsterdam and Malaga, others were more marginal and not as profitable as the same routes flown by easyJet from Luton and Gatwick. It's a business decision but a craven one. What is surprising is their decision to not continue flying their few highly profitable routes into SEN from other bases when they initially said that they would. Maybe Ryanair will pick up some of the routes?

Whatever happens it is certain that there will be less demand for hotel accommodation for the next few years with inevitable consequences for Fossett's Farm........

It's all bollocks anyway. I've given up with this new stadium rubbish and Martin.This has been going on for years now, I had hair when this all started.

I'll be pushing up the daisies, as most on this site will be, before this ever happens and that will be never under this charlerton.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a local authority worker, I can say that scoping requests and Environmental Impact Assessments can take a while.

However, once scoping is done, it shouldn't be far off a final decision. A lot of big decisions tend to pivot on the environmental impact so let's cross our fingers.

Southend Council are just as desperate as most councils when it comes to housing, so as long as the environmental impact isn't substantial, I think they'll pass the plans to boost their housing stock.

TBF nothing to do with Chris- he can't help that the people who post on it are the most negative people on earth and accordingly devalue any debate.

Never said it was anything to do with Chris.

As I said earlier in this thread:

As it happens I agree that the council now want to get a move on, but I still don't think we're likely to get planning permission before the new year. IIRC Ron expects to sumbit the plans in September but when has he ever done anything on time? So let's assume plans are submitted in October. The council still have to do a lot of work via their planning department. The planning committee then need to approve and then so does the full council. With the best will in the world that will take 6-8 weeks which takes us up to the middle of December. All it needs is a small delay like the planning inspectors asking for more details (which has happened numerous times before) and you're in to Christmas.

The likelihood is that planning permission won't be granted until early next year. However, that won't really delay things if work isn't expected to start until spring.

As a local authority worker, I can say that scoping requests and Environmental Impact Assessments can take a while.

However, once scoping is done, it shouldn't be far off a final decision. A lot of big decisions tend to pivot on the environmental impact so let's cross our fingers.

Southend Council are just as desperate as most councils when it comes to housing, so as long as the environmental impact isn't substantial, I think they'll pass the plans to boost their housing stock.
You would hope that a lot of the work that went into previous Environmental Impact reports are still valid.

Hopefully, this won't take long but of course what we need to see is either amendments made to the existing application, or a new full planning application, because scoping opinions are, as others have pointed out, really just asking the council what the applicants need to do with regards to completing just one of the reports in a full application.

Ok, just for a bit of light relief....

So Fossetts has been built. In the fan courtyard they have placed three plinth's for statues to commemorate our history. Who would you have occupy those 3 plinth's?

I would go for:

1. Steve Tilson - Led us during some exciting times and a great player and servant to the club.
2. Stan Collymore - In my opinion one of the best players to don the blue of Southend.
3. Oliver Trigg - The man who started it all, without his vision of creating a professional team we wouldn't be here now

So who would you pick? You can knock down my statues and replace them with your own. Each person in turn can remove and replace statues of the previous poster.

Well I'd keep Trigg obviously. I'd also throw these up for selection

William Sutherland - WW1 casualty, after leaving Southend was caretaker at Cecil Jones, before enlisting
Archie Wilson - WW1 casualty, helped us win promotion in 1913
Sandy Anderson- record number of league games
Arthur Williamson - record consecutive appearances
Jimmy Evans - first cap whilst playing for the club and leading goalscorer whilst defender
Jimmy Shankly - record number of goals in one season
Dave Robinson - player/trainer/staff member, 60 years at club in total
George MacKenzie - most caps whilst at club
Roy Hollis - 135 goals, highest number of goals for the club

personally, I'd have Trigg, Robinson and Webby

Ok, just for a bit of light relief....

So Fossetts has been built. In the fan courtyard they have placed three plinth's for statues to commemorate our history. Who would you have occupy those 3 plinth's?

I would go for:

1. Steve Tilson - Led us during some exciting times and a great player and servant to the club.
2. Stan Collymore - In my opinion one of the best players to don the blue of Southend.
3. Oliver Trigg - The man who started it all, without his vision of creating a professional team we wouldn't be here now

So who would you pick? You can knock down my statues and replace them with your own. Each person in turn can remove and replace statues of the previous poster.
I'd replace your Stan Collymore with Sid Broomfield. Reminding us of the legacy of Roots Hall and his amazing efforts to build a real football stadium

David Webb, and make it with a right scowl on his visage as if he is chewing a swarm of bees.

Ricki Otto with a football on his toes and a bible in his hands.

Paul Clark, in a norse helmet and dressed to go viking.

Back