• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

Speaking as someone who has no understanding of any of anything relating to big building projects, when are we realistically likely to reach a point when someone somewhere with the power to do so actually says yes, you can start building? It seems that every time we get 'good news' its followed by months and years of red tape that has to be dealt with first, then more good news, then more red tape etc etc etc etc. I mean how does anyone ever get a stadium built, let alone when its attached to either housing or retail or whatever? How can the likes of Brentford and Wimbledon manage to get stadiums designed, approved and built in tight spaces inside the M25 in a fraction of the time we seem able to?

They probably have local authorities and local councils that actually want to help there local football club.

Lots of anti development, anti Ron, anti stadium, anti SUFC comments in that echo article comments section.

Just read through a handful of them and had a chuckle to myself. The amount of people who are concerned about the town getting rid of all of its “green space” when right next door to the area you have St memorial and the other space across the road. Madness.

Is the new stadium and SUFC becoming irrelevant and will we see both sites becoming just housing estates?

Now we don't have games for a few weeks I imagine we could redeploy some players to start digging up FF....

For those interested,here is the revised planning application. Not exactly easy reading but no doubt essential.

Having received a letter from the council yesterday, any comments on the planning merits of the application should be sent to the council by Jan 8th 2021. No doubt the NIMBYs will be putting their case forward.

Given the above, I can only assume that it means that the application will not be before the Development Control Committee until 3rd Feb at the earliest.

I've received a letter as well, which is a bit weird seeing as I don't live in Southend.

Says that Planning has been requested....

I've received a letter as well, which is a bit weird seeing as I don't live in Southend.

Says that Planning has been requested....

I have received a letter from both Southend and Rochford Councils. It is because I have sent in comments on previous applications by the football club. Hopefully many Shrimpers will respond with comments favourable to the applications. I think we have about three weeks to respond.

It's the request for planning permission. The club had not done this. It should mean all systems go and that the club and more importantly the Council officers feel that the issues raised in the scoping have been satisfactorily dealt with so that the council after due process and consultation can make a decision. No point in applying if the chances are that the decision is no.

It's the request for planning permission. The club had not done this. It should mean all systems go and that the club and more importantly the Council officers feel that the issues raised in the scoping have been satisfactorily dealt with so that the council after due process and consultation can make a decision. No point in applying if the chances are that the decision is no.

Received my letter today. Will be submitting comments in favour. It'll be the third time I've done it, but you can be sure the NIMBYs will be out in force.

I've just had a look at the new stuff the club have submitted. It looks to be around 1,000 pages. Could we find a planner on SZ who does not work for SBC to run their expert eye over the new stuff. My inclination not having the will power to read it all is that it is all good stuff and will deal with each and every issue that could be raised. The amount of consultation is amazing. An issue for example that caught my eye was the police saying it could be a target for terrorism and they would be liaising with counter terrorism. This is NOT a simple application as we all know.

Southend borough council will be treating the Fossetts Farm development and Queensway development together in tandom. This will no doubt be down to the traffic problems it will cause and the desire to get a new bypass built.

Just skip read one of the additional documents. It's over 60 pages long. The proposal won't be stopped or agreed with by NIMBYs or supporters although I agree we should make representations but by whether it meets planning law and regulations. I think the issue of the roads will come up but is not crucial. The plans have cpious reports on the traffic management around the ground and with the flats. Frankly we'd be mad to all try to drive there on matchday and that is not what the plans suggest we will do. Southend BC has no responsibility of the outer ring road ie. the proposed road from Shoebury via Hullbridge/Hockley joining the A130 although they might think this is a good idea. They could extend Sumpters Way to the Warners Bridge roundabout which Ron Woodley has supported. This would as far as I'm aware be something Southend could do. I don't think the decision would be delayed by Queensway decisions but am happy to be put right if that is the case. Let's get this thing done.

Could we find a planner on SZ who does not work for SBC to run their expert eye over the new stuff.
I've got an MA in Town and Country Planning, used to be a Chartered Town Planner (until I let it lapse due to not working in planning for about 20 years now!). Do I count?

There's a hell of a lot of stuff to go through and I just haven't got time at the moment. If you don't want to wade through everything, I suggest just going through the non-technical summary (30 pages) which gives a good overview. Only just flicked through, but it looks like Ron's proposing a 3-sided stadium for at least a couple of seasons (until Spring 2024).

I tried to upload it but the file is too big. You'll find it on Page 8 of the documents, it was submitted on 24/11/20 if this link doesn't work. http://publicedrms.southend.gov.uk/...j.pdf?DocNo=10547657&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

Yes I got it too. No doubt having commented previously I am an "interested party"
The reason all this has taken so long is that Ron wasn't going to submit until all was agreed upfront as much as possible. With the councils support it should go through as quickly as something of this size can. Very good news I would say.

I see hotel is still there, and actually in addition to food outlets, bar, restaurant, conference facilities theres a sizeable number of housing units in the stadium complex as well.

For those who still can't believe that Fossetts will generate more income to the football than RH it might be persuasive. Notwithstanding clarity regarding how income flows will be split.

I've got an MA in Town and Country Planning, used to be a Chartered Town Planner (until I let it lapse due to not working in planning for about 20 years now!). Do I count?

There's a hell of a lot of stuff to go through and I just haven't got time at the moment. If you don't want to wade through everything, I suggest just going through the non-technical summary (30 pages) which gives a good overview. Only just flicked through, but it looks like Ron's proposing a 3-sided stadium for at least a couple of seasons (until Spring 2024).

I tried to upload it but the file is too big. You'll find it on Page 8 of the documents, it was submitted on 24/11/20 if this link doesn't work. http://publicedrms.southend.gov.uk/...j.pdf?DocNo=10547657&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

Garry you're our man. Happy reading. :Smile:

3 sides to be started Spring 2021, and finished in Summer 2022.

4th Side (including 107 room Hotel and Conference Facilities) to be started Spring 2022 and finished Spring 2024

Back