• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

Ron certainly won’t be pulling out. He says it’s more important to make sure every thing is in place and there is no reason it could be refused.

Whilst the date is important, apparently it’s not top of the list.

Does beg the question. Why for a project this big can’t they have a separate meeting when the time is right. Rather than say second on the list behind Mrs Smiths single story kitchen extension.

Totally agree. I can see this dragging out until spring TBH

As Ron has said, 'It's a huge project' and I'm sure he wants to get it through asap given the Seaway project is very much on the horizon.

See copy of Ron's Q&A with the Shrimpers Trust in Nov 2018:

http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/home.asp?page_id=814

I believe that all the documents have now been given to the council planning officers dealing with the application. Once they have gone through all of them, they will then recommend the project for either, approval (with or without conditions) or refusal. Prior to any Development Control Committee meeting, site visits may be required by councillors on the committee to assess the visual impact of the application or address any other considerations they may have. A DCC meeting will then be arranged and its agenda uploaded onto the council's website 7 days before. This meeting will include planning officers and about 17 elected members of the council who will discuss the application in full. At the meeting, there is an opportunity for those for and against to speak for 3 mins but this is subject to certain conditions. During any discussions, planning law will obviously prevail.

From the few instances where we've had feedback from Ron, I believe he is leaving no stone unturned in trying to satisfy the planning officers so that when it gets to the DCC stage, hopefully in Jan or Feb next year there will be good reason for optimism in the fact that everything the officers have flagged up, he has addressed to their satisfaction.

I'm sure due to the magnitude of the project members of the DCC will want to give it much discussion. In my opinion the pro's far outweigh the cons and on balance the town will reap huge benefits from the project.

I write this with no previous planning knowledge or direct involvement in the application apart from my letter of support. I write this purely from what I read from online sources and do this because I, like many supporters, have followed this for many years and have a huge desire to see it come to fruition.

Let's hope the cogs keep turning and finally we get to create a new chapter in the story of our great club.

You're doing a Ron there. You sensibly don't say which Spring.

I left that part out on purpose as I do not have the information available and failed to see why people's hopes should be inflated if I got the actual year incorrect

Here is a story from Radio Essex re the new stadium

https://www.radioessex.com/2018/12/11/236006/

Listening to that, I think "South East Essex Friends of the Earth" are recommending Southend United look to build their new stadium more centrally so people can walk there rather than use their cars to Fossetts Farm.

I think the Seaway Car Park may be available, or they could pull down some of the empty shops down the High Street and pop it there? :Smile:

Listening to that, I think "South East Essex Friends of the Earth" are recommending Southend United look to build their new stadium more centrally so people can walk there rather than use their cars to Fossetts Farm.

I think the Seaway Car Park may be available, or they could pull down some of the empty shops down the High Street and pop it there? :Smile:

Shame JJB went from the high street and the football pitch that was up there, that would have solved everything!

Last edited:
A new document was uploaded to the Council planning portal yesterday - a letter from the Council to the architects extending the determination deadline to 31 March 2019, from 31 December 2018.

The letter refers to types of documents that may be required to determine the application - but it reads like a standard letter rather than an assertion that these documents are all missing, I think. It is possibly a Council-led effort to buy time (cue conspiracy theories) so it will be interesting to note whether there is a response from the club in the coming days when they receive the letter...

A new document was uploaded to the Council planning portal yesterday - a letter from the Council to the architects extending the determination deadline to 31 March 2019, from 31 December 2018.

The letter refers to types of documents that may be required to determine the application - but it reads like a standard letter rather than an assertion that these documents are all missing, I think. It is possibly a Council-led effort to buy time (cue conspiracy theories) so it will be interesting to note whether there is a response from the club in the coming days when they receive the letter...

SBC sent the letter to Ron's architects PowerHaus Consultancy on the 7th December requesting an extension to the date from 31st Dec 2018 which was the target date for determination of application to the 31st March 2019. Mary Power of PowerHaus Consultancy signed that document on the 10th December accepting the extension and the new date of 31st March 2019 for the determination of the Fossetts Farm application.

Conspiracy theories? Seaway Leisure (Turnstone Estates) submitted their plans to SBC also on the 7th December, the SBC original deadline for them submitting their plans and getting them approved was also on 10th Dec 2018 .

Coincidence?

Here is a story from Radio Essex re the new stadium

https://www.radioessex.com/2018/12/11/236006/

The last time I went to the Southend swimming pool there were regular busses. So I don't know what he means by saying you can only get there by car. Also, with the size of the Fossetts development, I think it's a given that busses will go to and from there. He just sounds like a local that doesn't want the development to go ahead.

The last time I went to the Southend swimming pool there were regular busses. So I don't know what he means by saying you can only get there by car. Also, with the size of the Fossetts development, I think it's a given that busses will go to and from there. He just sounds like a local that doesn't want the development to go ahead.

Buses also run along Sutton road so you only have to walk from the roundabout on eastern avenue. Another NIMBY protest

I heard somewhere that they want to extend CrossRail to Southend Airport and then on to Fossetts Farm? Do not know if it is true, but I bet South East Essex Friends of the Earth would be against that as well. :Smile:

SBC sent the letter to Ron's architects PowerHaus Consultancy on the 7th December requesting an extension to the date from 31st Dec 2018 which was the target date for determination of application to the 31st March 2019. Mary Power of PowerHaus Consultancy signed that document on the 10th December accepting the extension and the new date of 31st March 2019 for the determination of the Fossetts Farm application.

Conspiracy theories? Seaway Leisure (Turnstone Estates) submitted their plans to SBC also on the 7th December, the SBC original deadline for them submitting their plans and getting them approved was also on 10th Dec 2018 .

Coincidence?

I am with you on this SBC have delayed this ever since the Cinema on the car park idea was first mooted...

9th Jan but surprise surprise we’re not on the agenda. What is on the agenda and recommended for approval is the resiting of a supermarket next to the Saxon King. The planning officers are suggesting its approval even though all customers from whatever direction will have to enter the site fro the cuckoo corner roundabout and conversely all customers leaving the site will have to exit towards Sutton Road thereby increasing journey times and traffic congestion even more than needs be. I can only think it’s for safety reasons.

The next DCC meeting is on 6th Feb, and its agenda is uploaded on council website 1 week prior.

in conversation with a Club employee regarding the 'letters' I believe the Club were thinking it might have been on the 9th Jan agenda. Roll on 6th Feb!

Back