• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

Looked like more borehole tests being undertaken on the north side of Fossetts Way this morning where one of the residential blocks is proposed.

Don't recall Waitrose, B+Q, The Wellesley etc going though procedures to the nth degree before gaining permission for construction.

Looks like Luton are ahead of us in the new Stadium front

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46898086

Really frustrating that we have such a backwards and corrupt local council.

I see this as being (if anything) helpful. Luton’s overall development is comparable to our proposition and it has been backed by their council. Ron and others will be sure to let this be known to our councillors one way or another. It will make any rejection of our plans much harder to do - particularly given all the time and effort that has been put into squaring off any possible objection the planners could come up with.

I understand from a Luton fan that this new stadium is being financed by the potential sale of a development at nearby Stockwood Park and that needs planning permission which may or may not be granted. Therefore nothing is certain yet. At least they are nearer achieving their new dream, makes our position really frustrating. Our planning committee haven't even got it on their agenda yet.

I understand from a Luton fan that this new stadium is being financed by the potential sale of a development at nearby Stockwood Park and that needs planning permission which may or may not be granted. Therefore nothing is certain yet. At least they are nearer achieving their new dream, makes our position really frustrating. Our planning committee haven't even got it on their agenda yet.

Was speaking to a Luton supporting mate and he reckons it’s still 3 years away.

I was 9 years old when i first heard about a new stadium , I'm almost 30 now. I fear I wont even be here to see it at this rate.

I reckon there's a lot more infrastructure needed and a lot more money that needs to be spent, which the council aren't keen to do.

It's a pity that we aren't told what the issues are,hopefully Ron will say something but not holding my breath..

I wouldn't mind betting that @fbm is bang on the money here. The Council have plenty of previous for requiring investors in the town to fund substantial infrastructure improvements - up to and beyond what the proposed developments might need - before they sign on the dotted line. I doubt that the issues are with the development per se, but just that the Council want a lot more bang for them from Ron's bucks before they will agree to pass the plans.

I wouldn't mind betting that @fbm is bang on the money here. The Council have plenty of previous for requiring investors in the town to fund substantial infrastructure improvements - up to and beyond what the proposed developments might need - before they sign on the dotted line. I doubt that the issues are with the development per se, but just that the Council want a lot more bang for them from Ron's bucks before they will agree to pass the plans.

Section 106 payments are commonplace with developments countrywide and not something just used by our council to thwart new football grounds.

Ron's bucks ? Therein lies the problem.

Section 106 payments are commonplace with developments countrywide and not something just used by our council to thwart new football grounds.

Ron's bucks ? Therein lies the problem.

Oh indeed they are Mick. But there is still a question of degrees: some Councils move heaven and earth to help whereas others do the opposite. Either way, today's Echo statement is all part of the phoney war that we will have to endure until the plans are voted on.

Last edited:
SBC bent over backwards after the breach by the Seaway developers, who had several years to submit plans in order to get the vastly reduced price on the land then missed it.
Coincidence that they then throw a load more delays into the “rival” plan.

The council don’t appear to want FF to succeed, not that they will say it, so that some of the objections to Seaway, two multiplexes etc, will not need to be raised.

I wonder how much the Section 106 will be for the proposed Seaways Project the council wants and is backing?

They may have to provide enough money to replace all the lost parking places? Or it could just be similar to the £1.00 they "sold" the lease of the Seaways Car Park to Seaway Leisure (Turnstone Estates)?

Back