• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadium vs Signings

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
It's a sticky situation.
Do we save money for the stadium or do we use money on players?
Personally I believe you need a stable squad playing at a good enough level to warrant a new stadium, after all what's the point of having a new stadium if we can't sign the players we want and get relegated as a consequence, Tillys unhappy and leaves and we are back to League 2 football we won't be filling 23,000 seats a week.
Or do we go for the stadium option meaning that once it's built in a few years we should be making more money giving us a better chance of signing the players we need to make it to a higher level.
So while signing players is sustainable in the short term the stadium is sustainable in the long term, we can all slag Ron off as much as we like but it's a very tough decision he's had to make but we won't see if it was right for a few years yet.

It's very easy in the short term to get annoyed about our lack of signings, which I like everyone else am. However if in the long run the stadium does come about then we will all look back at this as a neccesary step. Although at this rate we will still be in Roots Hall for many years yet.

On the other hand Wigan moved to the DW, Swansea the Liberty and Reading the Madjeski and look what happened to them. It's always a gamble, just look at Darlington, but if we can end up like a Bolton I'd take the frustration at the moment.

the epitome of a double edged sword, love roots hall, but we will always be league one/two,
so a new stadium is the way to go..but its shocking when you watch the football league show on tv how many 70% empty stadiums there are.

without success and the "floating fair weather" supporters, unfortunately we will be in that position!
anyway.....i'd take two seasons of no signings and mid table if we get into the new stadium, i think its worth the gamble. (although the thought of not having roots hall makes me:'( . )

I don't think it's as simple as saying that we're struggling now because we're trying to build a stadium. The underlying problem is clear from the accounts - when we went up to the Championship our income went up but so did out outgoings (mainly on wages and transfer fees).

When we got relegated, our income bottomed out but our outgoings remained high so we lost a lot of money. Two years in a row of losing £2m has brought us to this. Not the stadium.

If anything, our current struggles show why if we're ever going to establish ourselves in the second tier a new ground (and new income streams) isn't only desirable, it's completely necessary.

I don't think it's as simple as saying that we're struggling now because we're trying to build a stadium. The underlying problem is clear from the accounts - when we went up to the Championship our income went up but so did out outgoings (mainly on wages and transfer fees).

When we got relegated, our income bottomed out but our outgoings remained high so we lost a lot of money. Two years in a row of losing £2m has brought us to this. Not the stadium.

Spot on... but when we were in the CCC we were, along with Luton (remember them?) and Col U one of the three stand out unfashionable "don't belong here" clubs in that league. Consequently attracting players became difficult.

With a new stadium and facilities we will be able to compete at a higher level.

We needed to splash out to survive in the CCC and we ended up with who was left on the bottom of the pile. Look at Rory Fallon - turned us down at the last minute and is STILL a CCC striker with Plymouth.

This is n essential rebuilding period for the club and it will last a few years. However I'm sue that in 10 years or so we will be a bigger club and will look back on this as a necessary evil and be better off for it.

This is n essential rebuilding period for the club and it will last a few years. However I'm sue that in 10 years or so we will be a bigger club and will look back on this as a necessary evil and be better off for it.

I hope we look back on it as an example on how not to deal with promotion. I'm no expert on player contracts and transfer negotiations but it seems to me that considering that we were one of the three smallest clubs at that level and therefore were always going to be in danger of getting relegated, we should have been writing pay-cuts into contracts which would kick in if we went down. The fact that the likes of Richie Foran and Peter Clarke have been earning CCC money in L1 is what has been the main driving force behind the losses.

On the other hand Wigan moved to the DW, Swansea the Liberty and Reading the Madjeski and look what happened to them. It's always a gamble, just look at Darlington, but if we can end up like a Bolton I'd take the frustration at the moment.

Darlington got screwed though, totally different situation.

In the cold light of day I think the new stadium would be the death knell of the club. We could never attract 20K every week, we're too close to London and the pull of the Premiership clubs.

Why dont we just buy darlos ground and dismantle it and have it moved down south. Got to be cheaper than buying ours from scratch and they can have roots hall which will suit them better lol

Why dont we just buy darlos ground and dismantle it and have it moved down south. Got to be cheaper than buying ours from scratch and they can have roots hall which will suit them better lol

Did you see Darlingtons crowd last night was 880 in a 25,000 capacity ground, how have they managed to keep going?

Actually thinking about it Southend's lowest 1st team crowd was approx 670 for a FLT game & that was in a 35,000 capacity ground. That was a long time ago & I'm sure 800 in an all seater ground must look far worse than 670 in a ground that at the time was mostly terrace.

I'm still all for the stadium, and don't think it matters if we start off with in league two when we get it (of course I'd rather not be there), Hull started off down there of course.

There will always be cases of clubs going either way, on the positive side we have Bolton, Hull, Reading, Swansea, Wigan, even MK Dons & Plymouth are positive examples. On the otherhand you have the likes of Darlington, Oxford, York City.

In terms of can we attract the fan numbers, I believe that we can, we may be close to london but we are in a densely populated area and would be a much cheaper alternative for people rather than the costs of travelling up to london and then premiership prices on top of that. A new stadium with good facilities will attract more of the casual football fans who we can then make into proper Blues fans.

Whether we can afford to do this is of course another issue and one I don't know the answer to, not being possesion of the facts.

There are alot of people on here who seem to think we ought to be in the Championship, but we will never be able to compete in that division at our current home not without sending ourselves into deep deep debt.

So the question is do you want Championship football with a new stadium or would you be happy staying where we are and giving up on the staduim?

So the question is do you want Championship football with a new stadium or would you be happy staying where we are and giving up on the staduim?

I think it's more the point of having a club to support in a small ground than chasing a pipe dream that seems to be coming to a bitter end.

The golden years of Tilson, of beating Man Utd and competing in the Championship seems to be coming to a rattling end. As it stands we'll be lucky to be in League 1 next season, and the very worst case scenario is we'll do a Luton.

Stadium aint gonna happen, its just another garden path Ron has led us up to get more money!

League 2 is a great excuse for Ron not to build the stadium and thats where Ron is guiding this to club at the moment

Stadium aint gonna happen, its just another garden path Ron has led us up to get more money!

League 2 is a great excuse for Ron not to build the stadium and thats where Ron is guiding this to club at the moment

How is he gonna get more money if isn't built?

Back