• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Staggering news !

Ok, I may have been a touch incendiary with my post, but it wasn’t rude or defamatory. I just don’t know the geezer and said so. Is that so wrong?
I’m with you mate. It’s a shame this guy isn’t going to the game. But do I care? Not really.

I reckon the whole essence of this thread was that a very long term Southend supporter was missing the next game. The OP thought that was worth mentioning as some on here know him. Quite simply the poor sod didn't ask for the news to be broadcast so there is probably no need to challenge his circumstances, and, if you didn't know the guy then read and move on, or don't bother with it and move on. A bit like every thing on here, some things interest, others don't.

i remember a young Phil starting his run. I only got to seven years without missing a game home and away but i was single without kids. Soon after I was married with kids and away games became a thing of the past. Over the years there have been many unsung fans who have been consistent with their travelling and there are those of us that have our brief flirtation with it. All in all Phil has had a good innings.

Thank you for the nice comments and perhaps not for not so nice ones.
As Lord Football said I have my reasons for not going anymore, am I not going to bore anyone with them, as most of you wouldn't care anyway!!!
And no that wasn't me in the 1970's.

As Lord Football said I have my reasons for not going anymore, am I not going to bore anyone with them, as most of you wouldn't care anyway!!!
Well done Phil for your tremendous effort of reaching 1,600 approx unbroken sequence of attending Southend United games home and away.

:Clap::LoyalSupporter::Clap::LoyalSupporter:

You don’t need to explain reasons and some posters just like to be ignorant and one rule for one and one rule for another
Just think the fun starting from match one again Phil

"A Fantastic Achievement Phil" to do that for almost 30 years is quite remarkable especially when you consider the costs that it involves such as coach/train/car etc then match ticket's and that is without food and drink. When I left school back in 1965 I went to just a few local away matches which I always throughly enjoyed, apart from Millwall, however after we were relegated back in 1966 to the Fourth Division all I wanted to do was go to as many away matches as possible and between 1966 & 1971 I did manage to attend every first team match in league & cup for about 5 years stopping at the end of the 1970-71 season due to saving up to get married(MUG, in previous season's I only had a short term relationship in the cricket season). It wasn't just going to the matches back then it was often the people that you were travelling with (see many of them around Roots Hall to this day) be it by coach, car or train as well as the many times we hitch-hiked it really was an adventure, although back then it could be a little bit hairy/scary to say the least. Apart from that only a few supporters would travel to away matches unlike today when our support can sometimes be anything between 500 & 1,000 as was at the recent matches at CoventryCity (St.Andrews, Birmingham) & today's encounter against Lincoln City at Sincil Bank. In those days some of us would be given complimentary tickets by the players so the bond between both players and supporters was formed and the friendship that we had back them still lasts for me today some 50 years later. Once again "Congratulations & very well done Phil" the like of which we may never see again?

You sir are a glutton for punishment! You deserve a medal for putting up with 1600 odd games! I take my hat off to you and am also jealous you’ve been able to do it. Keeping a season ticket was hard enough.

Back