• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Staggering news !

Thank you for the nice comments and perhaps not for not so nice ones.
As Lord Football said I have my reasons for not going anymore, am I not going to bore anyone with them, as most of you wouldn't care anyway!!!
And no that wasn't me in the 1970's.

And you are on Shrimperzone now... you are a real fan after all ?

Last edited:
Some people’s attitude to people as well as players on this forum really is ‘orrrrible. Poisonous place to be. Littttle bulllly boys. It’s almost as if you have nothing better to do than slag people off on the internet I’m so glad that I.... oh ****

Some people’s attitude to people as well as players on this forum really is ‘orrrrible. Poisonous place to be. Littttle bulllly boys. It’s almost as if you have nothing better to do than slag people off on the internet I’m so glad that I.... oh ****

If you're talking about this thread specifically... well spaceman spiffs post was perhaps a bit strong, but really?! You only seem to pop up when we're playing badly to slag off those who dare to criticise? Who are you.. Onion bag Christ?

If you're talking about this thread specifically... well spaceman spiffs post was perhaps a bit strong, but really?! You only seem to pop up when we're playing badly to slag off those who dare to criticise? Who are you.. Onion bag Christ?

I’m talking about just in general. On every thread. At every game. Everything so black and white to some of you. “Oxley you’re a **** Oxley Oxley you’re ****”, booooooing 10 minutes into the first game at home. “Excuse of a footballer”, “waste of space”.

Sure you can have an opinion. But the lack of respect for a fellow human is a ****ing embarrassment. Absolutely embarrassing. Grown men acting like ****ing children. I’m absolutely sick of it. You can’t even pass it off as banter or anything close to it.

It puts me off going to watch the team I love.

I feel like I need to add a bit of a counter argument at times yeah because it can read so badly and I feel like I’ve got a duty to just put a message on the internet to stand up for people in general. I’m not specifically singling out the negative messages on this post.

They just sum it up. Someone put something about their mate and it gets shouted down.

I’m not asking for a lovey dovey hippy utopia (even though I’d like that every now and then). I just think it’s good to add a bit of balance to some of the filth spouted across the internet about our team. There’s only a few of us in the world so I just feel it would be more constructive to not act like a **** at every opportunity.

I don’t mind a debate, that’s different. Differing opinion is great.

It genuinely gets to me as you can probably tell. So I’ll keep the onion bag Christ act up it ya don’t mind!!!!! ?

Thank you for the nice comments and perhaps not for not so nice ones.
As Lord Football said I have my reasons for not going anymore, am I not going to bore anyone with them, as most of you wouldn't care anyway!!!
And no that wasn't me in the 1970's.

Fantastic achievement. I feel priveliged to have been on the TZ coach a few times with you

Firstly, who is Phil Cox, and secondly who gives an amoeba’s excretion hole?

Oh dear, oh dear.

As biologically inaccurate as it is inappropriate. The amoeba excretes its waste materials by the process of diffusion through the general body surface.

Anyway, a sterling effort, Phil in getting to all those games !

I’m talking about just in general. On every thread. At every game. Everything so black and white to some of you. “Oxley you’re a **** Oxley Oxley you’re ****”, booooooing 10 minutes into the first game at home. “Excuse of a footballer”, “waste of space”.

Sure you can have an opinion. But the lack of respect for a fellow human is a ****ing embarrassment. Absolutely embarrassing. Grown men acting like ****ing children. I’m absolutely sick of it. You can’t even pass it off as banter or anything close to it.

It puts me off going to watch the team I love.

I feel like I need to add a bit of a counter argument at times yeah because it can read so badly and I feel like I’ve got a duty to just put a message on the internet to stand up for people in general. I’m not specifically singling out the negative messages on this post.

They just sum it up. Someone put something about their mate and it gets shouted down.

I’m not asking for a lovey dovey hippy utopia (even though I’d like that every now and then). I just think it’s good to add a bit of balance to some of the filth spouted across the internet about our team. There’s only a few of us in the world so I just feel it would be more constructive to not act like a **** at every opportunity.

I don’t mind a debate, that’s different. Differing opinion is great.

It genuinely gets to me as you can probably tell. So I’ll keep the onion bag Christ act up it ya don’t mind!!!!! ?

Sorry if I wound you up. I get your point about general negativity and I don't condone indescriminate abuse. However surely we've got a right to be concerned after the last two league capitulations? Some of the reaction might be OTT, but it's much the same when we win. I don't recall you appealing for moderation of opinion after the Sunderland game?

Anyway, we've diverted off topic. Congrats on your run of games Phil. You picked a good one to miss.

Well done Phil Cox. Ignore Spaceman's comments. A fantastic achievement. The cost, the time, the planning and the loyalty needed, especially in those seasons when we had a really bad team, or mid table with nothing to play for. Those are the times it's hard to motivate yourself to travel hundreds of miles up North, usually to see us beaten again. I think it will be a nice release for you now the chain is broken, as you can now pick and choose your games like the rest of us.

Well done Phil great effort. The best bit you did it with a smile on your face and never moaned.
For those that don't know Phil he is a real nice bloke and very knowledgeable on the game. Not just some stat collecting ground hopper to be sneered at.
So enjoy your 'retirement' and i'm sure you will still be a regular at the Hall.

By the way Lee Venus is claiming he must be the only one to have been at Grimsby back in 89 and at Lincoln yesterday.

Lee Venus is the only one to try to persuade me not to give up the aways. I am not sure on his claim, thou, about Grimsby & Lincoln!! The rest just agreed, it was a good idea or didn't believe me. "I don't blame you" was the general opinion.
Staggering news it was not!

Lee Venus is the only one to try to persuade me not to give up the aways. I am not sure on his claim, thou, about Grimsby & Lincoln!! The rest just agreed, it was a good idea or didn't believe me. "I don't blame you" was the general opinion.
Staggering news it was not!

He was definitely at Lincoln yesterday. One of the 644 who can now say they have been to a game that you haven't.
He says there were only 19 away fans at that night game in Grimsby.

Actually, I think Dave made a very good point, as did the original poster and as have many on this thread already.

Phil Cox's achievements are something to behold. And "Amoeba-gate" was hardly Spiffy's best piece of work. He knows it and he's put his hand up to it both in private and on this thread. As moderators we will continue to make errors of judgement. We're all human and I cringe with embarrassment weekly at some of the posts and decisions I've made on this forum over the years.

But, away from that, the wider lack of respect for other people's opinions seems to be at an all time low. No surprise that it coincides with us struggling on the pitch, but it still doesn't make it acceptable. Just cos it's horrible on the pitch shouldn't mean it needs to be a horrible place to be on here. So please, let's cut out the throwaway insults and abuse and stick to arguing the details in the posts.

You would......If it was donation time.

This one really cut me in half though and is genuinely making me reconsider my time, efforts and position on this forum. I wouldn't have thought we needed to make it clear how any donations asked for are to keep ShrimperZone alive as a Southend United discussion forum for all of us. Seriously, it might now be time for someone else to take up the reigns and keep this place going. But that’s got nothing to do with this thread.

Phil Cox is clearly an exceptional Southend United fan who deserves ALL of our respect and best wishes. We live and we learn, and now we move on. Let's all raise our game on the debates. And the very best wishes to Phil and, hopefully, a long time of supporting the club to come!

Last edited:
Well done Phil great effort. The best bit you did it with a smile on your face and never moaned.
For those that don't know Phil he is a real nice bloke and very knowledgeable on the game. Not just some stat collecting ground hopper to be sneered at.
So enjoy your 'retirement' and i'm sure you will still be a regular at the Hall.

By the way Lee Venus is claiming he must be the only one to have been at Grimsby back in 89 and at Lincoln yesterday.

I was at Grimsby in89 and at Lincoln I known lee venus for many years I know hes getting old now hes probably forgot also phil have known him for along time congralate him on getting to all those games all the best to you look forward to seeing you at some away games in the future

This one really cut me in half though and is genuinely making me reconsider my time, efforts and position on this forum. I wouldn't have thought we needed to make it clear how any donations asked for are to keep ShrimperZone alive as a Southend United discussion forum for all of us. Seriously, it might now be time for someone else to take up the reigns and keep this place going. But that’s got nothing to do with this thread.

A very important point this and one which many members would do well to fully take on board.

Firstly, this is - I understand - one of the most respected and active fans websites in the EFL outside the "big" clubs. It is run entirely by volunteers who do not get paid. Now I love our club, as we all do, and when I first encountered the then owners back in 2007-ish I think, I discovered that for the sake of a few hundred quid a year that they were considering closing it.

Back then I had my own business and was more than happy to sponsor the site, something which continued right up until a couple of years ago. I now only personally financially contribute on a monthly basis, nowhere near as much as I used to and probably not as much as others. But I still wouldn't be without Shrimpermoan, sorry, zone. Zone.

And there's the rub. It's not called Shrimpermoan for nothing. Moaning about our team is commonplace, even when doing well for some, but what so many fail to grasp is that the owners of the site are legally responsible for what goes on here. So when moans become arguments, the temperature rises and the risks increase. When someone posts something libellous, it's a huge risk and has to be taken down. When potential hate speech is spouted, it has to be removed, otherwise the owners will face legal action. They are responsible for our behaviour.

Therefore the site has to be moderated. There are several moderators, all of whom do this FOR NO PERSONAL PAYMENT OR REWARD. They give up their time and have to, between them, read EVERY post on EVERY thread to make sure that every post stays within the rules.

Being a mod does not mean they can do what they want. Well, actually it does, but they don't. If they did the site would die. Over the years there have been several well respected and knowledgeable posters who have simply gone away due to what happens on the boards which is a real shame. We only have something to discuss because people post the stuff on the boards and then BECAUSE the mods are there to keep things on an even keel.

Riggers comment about the donations - whilst it may be the case in his eyes - is about as sensitive as Spaceman Spiffs one re Phil Cox and one that wasn't really needed or warranted.

Amoeba-gate is now done and dusted, let's move on. But next time people feel like having a dig at the mods on the boards, just remember, they are giving up their time for your benefit and the last thing we want is for them, pretty much like our team at the moment, to "down tools".

So when someone's post gets deleted, bear in mind there will be a reason for it and consider your own words and behaviour before lashing out at the people trying to make sure you still have a platform to vent on.

Good post fbm and a reminder to some of us why we even have the zone.

Firstly can I fully apologise to Hank as the last thing anyone would want is to upset him.

I had a shocker of a day in so many ways on Saturday, including some drunk getting punchy at Liverpool street on the way home. He couldn't accept the friendly advice from another Shrimper that the train wasn't going to Folkestone.

I don't normally post in anger and obviously overreacted with that one....Certainly not my best moment and I know full well that is not Spacemans style either......I would say we are all feeling the August heat but Friday night I was helping someone with their leaky roof rather than up the pub for another friends birthday.

Anyway I am hoping for some very good news this afternoon and even better news for us all tonight.

Love and best wishes to all you Zoners the place is still a great education for men of the world like myself......Not least of all..... Lets smash the two bob mugs

Last edited:
Back