• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan Collymore "Lifting the Lid" Interview

Exactly what it says on the tin Lenny, working from home and a cracking listen, apart from you were playing for us at Notts County Stan, not Palace.

But I'll forgive you that game, cos we lost 4-0 and Sammy got sent off for taking the ball at their strikers feet and was victim to one of the dodgiest decisions I have seen involving a keeper.

Who says they get too much protection lol.

Just heard Phil Brown's latest interview on iFollow.After hearing that can't say I think there's too much chance of Stan (or anyone else other than Ricky Duncan perhaps) getting offered a Director of Football job with SUFC.

Overall in general .But logically the parts where he specifically mentioned Ricy Duncan as his preferred choice for DOF and his seeming lack of enthusiasism for working with Stan (or anyone who'd come between him talking directly with the Chairman.Who knows? I could well be wrong.
Do you think Ron has approached ricky as dof?

Do you think Ron has approached ricky as dof?
I hope not ! What has ricky duncan done for the first team? Hes record as caretaker manager is very poor ! I think he should be left to manage the academy and leave the first team to more experienced people like stan.

I hope not ! What has ricky duncan done for the first team? Hes record as caretaker manager is very poor ! I think he should be left to manage the academy and leave the first team to more experienced people like stan.

Your post shows a complete lack of respect for a man who has done a magnificent job for this club over many, many years. There are several other people far better qualified than me to decide whether Ricky Duncan is a good choice for DoF - he may be, he may not be - but I felt the need to reply because he deserves to be held in much higher regard by the supporters (and I believe he is, certainly by the vast majority who can recognise the players he’s developed and the excellent results he’s achieved with the Academy teams).

I honestly hope Stan is given an official role, not only did he impress me on the pitch as a kid (and boy did he impress me!) he’s also really impressed me by how passionately he’s spoken about the club and - more importantly - how intelligently he speaks on all matters football from top to bottom. So much sense and in our current predicament Stan is IMHO someone we really do need our club to be associated with in some role (along with a CEO of course). Would I be happy if Ron offered Stan a DoF role? Yes, absolutely. But we have to trust that the right decisions will be made. Whether that’s Stan, Ricky Duncan or A. N. Other we need to get behind them regardless because coming together as a fan base and as a club will be the only way to turn our fortunes around and get back to where we should be.

Last edited:
FWIW I would also want RD as head if the academy still, doing what he does best. If we really want to move forward then Stan in some role for me makes total sense and that doesn't have to block PB having direct contact with RM.

As Stan said his title means nothing and could be whatever, but it is a meaningful role he is hankering for and with what he has to offer, we would be mad or rather RM would be mad to turn it down imo.

I think Ron and Phil will be scared of bringing in a bigger name who, if things go well, may take alot of the credit.

I think Ron and Phil will be scared of bringing in a bigger name who, if things go well, may take alot of the credit.
Why would they if they are part of the team that actually got SUFC back to the championship? I have always tried to surround myself with people that can do the things that I just can’t do.

Overall in general .But logically the parts where he specifically mentioned Ricy Duncan as his preferred choice for DOF and his seeming lack of enthusiasism for working with Stan (or anyone who'd come between him talking directly with the Chairman.Who knows? I could well be wrong.

Nobody says that SC coming in means somebody being in between him and Ron, and it doesn't have to mean the manager gets overruled or pushed out of the decision-making process. I don't think SC would want to work in that way either. What him coming in more likely means is bringing several people around the table who have many different things to offer. Stan's contacts list and the prep work he's already to get players/clubs/agents potentially interested in doing business with SUFC again is not to be sniffed at. I'm well pleased to have Phil back here but this isn't the Phil Brown show. This is about doing what's best for SUFC. And although I can only go by what SC has said, I think that he is worth bringing on board and involving seriously for the work he's done so far alone.

Why would they if they are part of the team that actually got SUFC back to the championship? I have always tried to surround myself with people that can do the things that I just can’t do.
Because of their ego's / characters, some people like being the top dog, it's only a hunch. Is it the Ron and Phil show or the Ron, Phil and Stan show?

Back