• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan Collymore Statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it was significant towards the end of that recent zoom meeting ,despite his much vaunted record of seeing us play every match home and away for the last 23 years, that the Chairman clearly didn't appreciate the affection that Stan was held in by SUFC fans.This was an accident always waiting to happen,IMO.Sadly.
Not true, surprise, surprise.

The vast majority are disappointed by Stan's withdrawal from his involvement with the Club.

We don't know for certain why, after shaking hands with Stan, Ron Martin has had second thoughts. What we do know is, that instead of picking up the phone and speaking to Stan on a man-to-man basis, Ron Martin decided to inform him via email.

That for me is totally unacceptable.

I totally agree a handshake is a handshake, but also the way Stans route into communication and feather ruffling has been done so publicly, hardly surprises me this has happened.

Stan you said you would help the club. You didn’t want a job, a job title or anything you just wanted to help?Actually except for a CEO which I will bet my house on won’t get the job due to the link to you... what have you done?

The vast majority are disappointed by Stan's withdrawal from his involvement with the Club.

We don't know for certain why, after shaking hands with Stan, Ron Martin has had second thoughts. What we do know is, that instead of picking up the phone and speaking to Stan on a man-to-man basis, Ron Martin decided to inform him via email.

Will be very interesting to read any statement from Ron on the subject. He’ll naturally want to spin it in a way that puts him completely not at fault, as he normally does. But I imagine any bull**** or poetic licence from Ron will be immediately jumped on and corrected by Stan.

No doubt it’ll be a brief couple of lines from Ron about how he would’ve loved to work with Stan, but things move quickly in football and unfortunately it just wasn’t possible to get a deal done that suited everyone blah blah blah.

The Email was the cowards way out for Ron, so unprofessional !

Will be very interesting to read any statement from Ron on the subject. He’ll naturally want to spin it in a way that puts him completely not at fault, as he normally does. But I imagine any bull**** or poetic licence from Ron will be immediately jumped on and corrected by Stan.

No doubt it’ll be a brief couple of lines from Ron about how he would’ve loved to work with Stan, but things move quickly in football and unfortunately it just wasn’t possible to get a deal done that suited everyone blah blah blah.
I thought some from the supporters groups were trying to understand what had happened and to see if there was a way all parties could move forward?

I thought some from the supporters groups were trying to understand what had happened and to see if there was a way all parties could move forward?
I believe that was SoS's stance. No sign of what the Trust think.

I still hope that’s the case, but SOS’s most recent statement about the waters being muddied read as if they’d spoken to Stan and it was all definitely off.

@TrueBlue are there still some efforts ongoing to try and salvage something?

Playing devils advocate, how do we know the email didn't say something along the lines of

......Sorry Stan, had a bit of a re-think, listed below are my latest thoughts have a read and let me know what you think and we will catch up tomorrow to discuss......

The thing is we don't know what has gone on other than:
  1. there appeared to have be an agreement last Thursday
  2. something has caused a change to the apparent agreement which was communicated to Stan via email on Sunday (late evening given the time of Stan's post on here?)
  3. Stan has walked away as a result of this change
I'm sure this will be played out fairly publically, but what I do fear is that as a result of whatever has happened our reputation will have been damaged even further that it already is....which is a major concern

All a bit sad but inevitable really.

Three very strong individuals into the melting pot doesn't go.

Stan has already been a galvanising force over the last few weeks and if nothing else comes of this then we can at least be grateful for that.

He also doesn't need any sort of official involvement to put in a good word about the club to others on the periphery, although that might not hold much weight if he is not involved to hold people to account.

This was always the likely outcome and although I'm disappointed with the in/out nature of his involvement he will still be remembered by me as the best ever player I've seen in a Southend shirt and someone who has recently added some positive attitude to the fan base.

@stan collymore , don't stay away too long.........

The Email was the cowards way out for Ron, so unprofessional !

Problem is with this we'll never know the full facts.

If agreed on a handshake does that mean there was nothing in writing on Thursday? You can't employ someone with a formal role within the club without nothing in writing so Ron's email could well be confirming what they shook on. That's not unprofessional.

However it seems what was agreed verbally may changed, Stan didn't agree so chose not to take the offer of the role

Don't think we'll ever know the full truth of this to be honest.

Reactions: fbm
Im sure Ron isnt a coward but he is a bit of an ego infested workaholic nincompoop who struggles to let go of key aspects of the football side at times and likes to fight the wrong battles and gets key decisions wrong on a consistent basis. He came close to an apology for the numerous errors but can he really learn to correct his own worst, natural instincts

I still hope that’s the case, but SOS’s most recent statement about the waters being muddied read as if they’d spoken to Stan and it was all definitely off.

@TrueBlue are there still some efforts ongoing to try and salvage something?
Yeah efforts continue, expecting an update from Stan at some point

unt

Until the football side is completely separated as a company from the many property and associated/linked other businesses, nothing will change. He owns the whole thing and can pretty much do whatever he wants. I think the only way he would even consider relinquishing control of the football side is if there was something in it for him financially.
Football clubs are an ideal financial loss making vehicle that suit a businessmen with 50+ linked companies down to the ground. Let it just about tick over, just about survive and write off as much as possible.
Its the equivalent of a life support machine. No soul, no functioning, no progression, no betterment, no development. no curing.
Just about alive.

Depressing, but almost certainly accurate.

Was this always going to happen? Quite probably. Is it a huge loss? Yes.

Stan had energised the fans, given us something to hope for in our moment of real gloom, and offered real action, we only need to look at what he did (with seemingly just a social media message or two) for the Trust's social inclusion project to see what a difference he could have made.

I have no idea but suspect it was all about the scope of his role and/or personalities involved.

A huge missed opportunity for all involved. Putting to one side all of the positives on club structure and morale, the financial opportunity loss (which would have then helped re player recruitment etc) on this is huge, I'm sure that whatever Ron would have paid Stan would have been recouped many times over in terms of using his contacts for all sorts of things from pre-season friendlies to player options to sponsorship and so on

Just such a huge shame :Sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back