• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

bomma77

Youth Team
"This is purely down to money. The Premier League want more money from global advertising rights. As a player, the league schedule is as congested as it ever has been. The notion that teams could go through a hectic December and January with one then going off to play in Cairo and another in Los Angeles - with all the travelling and commitments - is absolute nonsense."
Former Liverpool striker Stan Collymore

Shame the people who run the game and the premiership club chairman aren't as wise.

Whats next, premium rate phone votes to evict players from the teams. Football Franchises, so that the town of Southend can bid to have the Man U team to play it home games in Southend.

If I was a supporter of one of these clubs I would seriously consider boycotting the next home game to send a message to the Premier League.

To me they've totally lost the plot about loyalty and what makes football special.

Lets treat the fans as consumers, is that what it's coming to?

"This is purely down to money. The Premier League want more money from global advertising rights. As a player, the league schedule is as congested as it ever has been. The notion that teams could go through a hectic December and January with one then going off to play in Cairo and another in Los Angeles - with all the travelling and commitments - is absolute nonsense."
Former Liverpool striker Stan Collymore

Shame the people who run the game and the premiership club chairman aren't as wise.

Whats next, premium rate phone votes to evict players from the teams. Football Franchises, so that the town of Southend can bid to have the Man U team to play it home games in Southend.

If I was a supporter of one of these clubs I would seriously consider boycotting the next home game to send a message to the Premier League.

To me they've totally lost the plot about loyalty and what makes football special.

Lets treat the fans as consumers, is that what it's coming to?

Were did you get this quote from mate??

I heard this on Five Live earlier, must admit that Sir Stanley is taking to his new radio role very well. Thoughtful, verbose and logical.

This is a stupid idea, and will further the gap between the Premier Leauge and the Football leauges in terms of revenue. How are the football leauge clubs going cope with this change. I hope there would be a plan to pass down some of this money to help clubs such as bornemouth going into finaical problems, you could answer that it's bournemouths fault, but how are team going to be able to get into the division when things like this kick off, theys simpley cant.

Secondly, wouldnt you be ****ed off if your team was in a relegation battle for eg Fulham was on 38 points, and reading 38 points, and it come down the this final 39th game had decided your relegation. Say Fulham got Man Utd in there "extra game" and Reading for an easier tie say "Derby" it would be deemed unfair

Secondly, wouldnt you be ****ed off if your team was in a relegation battle for eg Fulham was on 38 points, and reading 38 points, and it come down the this final 39th game had decided your relegation. Say Fulham got Man Utd in there "extra game" and Reading for an easier tie say "Derby" it would be deemed unfair

Apart from the fact they have already gone some way to solving this by having the "abroad" game in January, therefore not being strictly decisive to the last day positions. However, you're right though, if Fulham got a top 4 team and Reading got a relegation cert it wouldn't be fair if that was either teams 39th game.

An utterly stupid idea by the PL & one I hope will hasten the end of such cash-cow driven football administration!

I think they are saying the extra game would be played in January some time, playing it on the last day of the season would not work with all the different time zones involved.

I agree with Glasgow, keeping the top 4 teams apart when the games are drawn at random merely serves to give Man United etc a "banker" game against Wigan in Bangkok.

Last edited:
this is an a rediculous idea, the top teams and old men at the FA just want more revenue and see it as a way of tapping into the, for example, japanise fans. However im not totally sure, are they saying each team to play each team three times with one at home game for each team and one in another country (absurd). or are they saying to play one extra game in another country against a random team?

Let's say you're a Wigan fan for example. Your last game is in Leningrad v. Bolton. Can't go up, can't go down.

Would you go?

It is the logical and inevitable conclusion of capitalism. "Globalisation" is merely a phrase for describing when one successful business within one particular market wishes to replicate that success in different markets in other locations.

In exactly the same way that Starbucks wants to sell coffee in Singapore as well as Seattle, so Manchester United wants to sell football in Singapore as well as Salford. And so, you have to take the product to your market - and the real product, not simply the ersatz, out-of-season kickabout product. You have to take real Premiership matches overseas.

When football clubs - and the Premiership in particular - stopped being sporting associations representing a community and became instead multinational corporations floated on stock exchanges and leveraged assets accountable to banks and shareholders first, and fans second - then the phenomenon of games being played overseas became totally inevitable.

I'm just surprised it has taken them this long to cotton on to the idea.

Matt

Let's say you're a Wigan fan for example. Your last game is in Leningrad v. Bolton. Can't go up, can't go down.

Would you go?
That would be a dilemma for Wigan fans even if it was at the JJB!

It is the logical and inevitable conclusion of capitalism. "Globalisation" is merely a phrase for describing when one successful business within one particular market wishes to replicate that success in different markets in other locations.

In exactly the same way that Starbucks wants to sell coffee in Singapore as well as Seattle, so Manchester United wants to sell football in Singapore as well as Salford. And so, you have to take the product to your market - and the real product, not simply the ersatz, out-of-season kickabout product. You have to take real Premiership matches overseas.

When football clubs - and the Premiership in particular - stopped being sporting associations representing a community and became instead multinational corporations floated on stock exchanges and leveraged assets accountable to banks and shareholders first, and fans second - then the phenomenon of games being played overseas became totally inevitable.

I'm just surprised it has taken them this long to cotton on to the idea.

Matt

However, Starbucks wasn't really putting themselves at risk by setting up shops in Singapore the same way that the EPL could be risking themselves. The outrage over this seems to be widespread, and rightly so in my opinion. This is a calculated risk and I'm left wondering if it is one worth taking. If English soccer fans are able to organize if this idea because reality, the EPL could see their money making plan ruin them. If people decide to boycott, especially if they go about do so by refusing to watch televised games, the EPL will end losing money in future television rights negotiations. The big clubs, and therefore the EPL as a whole, will still have global appeal, but will weaken in stature in England. Even in this era of globalization, a professional sports league will not survive if it is weak domestically, regardless of how strong it may be internationally.

Would you go?

If it was the last game of the season it would be meaningless, hence the plan is to play these games in January when teams are less likely to field a weakened team.

However, Starbucks wasn't really putting themselves at risk by setting up shops in Singapore the same way that the EPL could be risking themselves. The outrage over this seems to be widespread, and rightly so in my opinion. This is a calculated risk and I'm left wondering if it is one worth taking. If English soccer fans are able to organize if this idea because reality, the EPL could see their money making plan ruin them. If people decide to boycott, especially if they go about do so by refusing to watch televised games, the EPL will end losing money in future television rights negotiations. The big clubs, and therefore the EPL as a whole, will still have global appeal, but will weaken in stature in England. Even in this era of globalization, a professional sports league will not survive if it is weak domestically, regardless of how strong it may be internationally.

Chaco, there may be outrage but unfortunately I can't see the vast majority of fans seriously contemplating a boycott.

TBH with the potential earnings from a globalised brand and the TV revenues some clubs could concievably run successfully and profitably without any paying customers in the stadium.

As much as I don't like the idea I would hope it would be good for a club like Southend. Hopefully this will just disenfranchise even more fans so that they give up supporting these teams that will happily hold home games so far from home that their fans can't make it, and support teams like us.

A friend of mine took a Spurs supporting colleague to the game against Barnsley a few weeks ago. The next day he heard his colleague on the phone to the ticket office discussing season tickets for next season. If this leads to even more of the same then so be it!

I love the way, when asked if the Prem would consider letting the fans vote to voice their opinion, Richard Paymemore replied with a flat 'no' (as it's just not the way they do things!!!).

Afraid of what the result would be?

Not interested in what the fans hasve to say?

Both of the above?

Just shows how fans are not considered important to the powers that be and are only seen a a cash cow.

'Scuse me for mentioning it but hasn't every 'big' club been gnashing their teeth over the previous few years wailing on about how 38 games is already too many and wanting to reduce the Megabucks league to 19 or 18 teams and have a 2 week winter break?!?!?!

NOW (surprisingly with many more Megabucks on offer) they're fit and raring to go traipsing all over the world to ADD extra games to the schedule!!!!!

'Scuse me for mentioning it but hasn't every 'big' club been gnashing their teeth over the previous few years wailing on about how 38 games is already too many and wanting to reduce the Megabucks league to 19 or 18 teams and have a 2 week winter break?!?!?!

NOW (surprisingly with many more Megabucks on offer) they're fit and raring to go traipsing all over the world to ADD extra games to the schedule!!!!!

money talks, why would any club turn down £5 mill for one ****ing game? Its a joke IMO and the PL can go **** itself as far as i'm concerned!

Back