• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan's games:

21 Sat 21-Nov Notts County H D1 22nd 3 1 Collymore(2) Brown -10 3,219
22 Sat 28-Nov Sunderland H D1 22nd 0 1 -11 4,584
23 Sat 5-Dec Millwall A D1 24th 1 1 Collymore -11 7,928
24 Sat 12-Dec West Ham United A D1 24th 0 2 -13 15,739
25 Sat 19-Dec Barnsley H D1 24th 3 0 Collymore(2) Powell -10 3,629
26 Sat 26-Dec Watford H D1 24th 1 2 Sussex(pen) -11 5,769
27 Mon 28-Dec Bristol Rovers A D1 21st 2 0 Brown Collymore -9 7,707
28 Sat 9-Jan Portsmouth A D1 23rd 0 2 -11 9,717
29 Wed 13-Jan Millwall H FAC3 1 0 Collymore 8,028
30 Sat 16-Jan Derby County H D1 23rd 0 0 -11 4,243 R
31 Wed 20-Jan Newcastle United H D1 22nd 1 1 Sussex(pen) -11 8,246
32 Sat 23-Jan Huddersfield Town A FAC4 2 1 Collymore(2) 7,961
33 Wed 27-Jan Birmingham City H D1 20th 4 0 Sussex Collymore Tilson Scully -7 4,065
34 Sat 30-Jan Peterborough Utd A D1 22nd 0 1 -8 6,180
35 Wed 10-Feb Bristol City H D1 23rd 1 1 Collymore -8 3,836
36 Sat 13-Feb Sheffield Wednesday A FAC5 0 2 26,446
37 Sun 21-Feb Brentford H D1 21st 3 0 Jones Collymore Ansah -5 4,123
38 Sat 27-Feb Wolverhampton W. A D1 22nd 1 1 Ansah -5 11,563
39 Sat 6-Mar Charlton Athletic H D1 23rd 0 2 -7 5,804
40 Wed 10-Mar Swindon Town H D1 22nd 1 1 Scully -7 4,371
41 Sat 13-Mar Oxford Utd A D1 22nd 1 0 Collymore -6 4,576
42 Sat 20-Mar Millwall H D1 23rd 3 3 Tilson(2) Collymore -6 3,840 D
43 Tue 23-Mar Notts County A D1 23rd 0 4 -10 6,109
44 Fri 26-Mar Tranmere Rovers H D1 23rd 1 2 Ansah -11 4,147
45 Sat 3-Apr Sunderland A D1 23rd 4 2 Collymore Scully Ansah Angell -9 15,701
46 Wed 7-Apr West Ham United H D1 23rd 1 0 Angell -8 12,813
47 Sat 10-Apr Watford A D1 22nd 0 0 -8 7,198
48 Wed 14-Apr Bristol Rovers H D1 18th 3 0 Collymore(2) Angell -5 6,154
49 Sat 17-Apr Barnsley A D1 19th 1 3 Collymore -7 3,855
50 Tue 20-Apr Leicester City A D1 20th 1 4 Angell -10 18,003
51 Fri 23-Apr Grimsby Town H D1 18th 1 0 Collymore -9 5,807
52 Sat 1-May Cambridge United A D1 19th 1 3 Collymore -11 7,137
53 Sat 8-May Luton Town H D1 18th 2 1 Sussex Angell -10 11,042

Back in the early 90s fellow zoners SUFCEssex and shrimptank were a major part of "United On The Road" the travel group of the day .. it was a few days before our 5th Round cup tie at Hillsborough (5000 Blues on the Leppings Lane end at H'boro, what an amazing amazing sight) anyway we were in the Far Post bar taking coach bookings and having a beer when in wanders Stan .. ordered himself a drink (coke i think, definately not booze) and strolled over and challenged me to a game .. he paid, i won, we shook hands and off he went .. i could hardly grip the cue i was like a star struck teenage girl :blush:

Years later when Stan did his book signing at RH before the Northampton game (Oct 2004) we were queued up in the Shrimpers to get some pictures (i'd got my book signed in town in the morning) when we reached the front Daniel bounded up to Stan (he was 4 at the time) and announced "your my dads favourite you are .. he has a massive poster of you on the wall at home"

I have 2 stand out memories 1 at Sheffield Wednesday when we all thought he had scored, the blues faithful went mental and I was launched 4 rows forward only for the goal to be disallowed.

The 2nd was against Luton when we avoided relegation and there was a pitch invasion, Stan was practically stripped naked and carried on everyone's shoulders. He lent down to me and I gave him my SUFC bucket hat which he wore . The legend had given me many gifts over the short period he was here and that was mine in return.

Everytime he got the ball there was real anticipation as he was that good

Welcome back and as TB says there's no need to be a stranger. I know what it is like to be exiled in the frozen North. Which neatly brings me to my abiding memory of Stan. I was exiled in Yorkshire in thos pre internet and SZ days, and kept hearing the reports of this incredible player we had signed.

I managed to see a couple of home games and was amazed that we had signed a player of such ability but also as why the heck Palace had let him go. In those days because of our division 1 status we entered the FA Cup at the 3rd round stage. We drew Huddersfield away in the 4th Round, (we had beaten Millwall in Round 3)It was a short journey for me then, and it must have been at the McAlpine (Galpharm as it is today), a cold wet day and a muddy pitch. Southend IIRC playing in yellow, Stan collected the ball in our half, looked up and set of on a mazy run, where I swear he beat all the Huddersfield players before planting the ball in the net past a stunned keeper. He scored the 2nd in a 2-1 win.

What a player. Billy Best is my all time favourite Blues player, but Stan.....probably the best player in a Southend shirt I've seen, he had the lot and was obviously destined to play much higher level than we could offer.
I was at that game too. It was at Huddersfields old ground, London Road in 1993. I remember he was a nightmare for the Huddersfield defence all match and had another mazy half the pitch run ending in a one on one with their keeper but that time , I think the keeper managed to claw it away or smother it. We turned out in numbers filling a large part of the open terrace behind the goal and about a quarter of the all seater side stand. At the end a few hundred of us got on the pitch and carried Stan around shoulder high. Next round (5th) we lost 0-2 away at Sheffield Wednesday.

I was at that game too. It was at Huddersfields old ground, London Road in 1993. I remember he was a nightmare for the Huddersfield defence all match and had another mazy half the pitch run ending in a one on one with their keeper but that time , I think the keeper managed to claw it away or smother it. We turned out in numbers filling a large part of the open terrace behind the goal and about a quarter of the all seater side stand. At the end a few hundred of us got on the pitch and carried Stan around shoulder high. Next round (5th) we lost 0-2 away at Sheffield Wednesday.
I correct myself. It was Leeds Road, not, London Road.

Definitely Leeds Road. London Road's in Westcliff.

ps I was on the side stand - far too cold for the open terrace!

You definitely should see this if you've not got it Slip .. its on DVD for the more modern thinking among us :winking:

Ah but has it got the interviews where Vic, Barry and Colin all take credit for his performances?

:smile:

He has the technical ability of Michael Harford

I'm pretty sure I'd read on teletext that we'd signed him, but when he was announced in the line-up for the Notts County game everyone (myself included), instinctively went "who?"

That's the only time I can remember doing that.

But we knew soon enough who he was.....

I'm pretty sure I'd read on teletext that we'd signed him, but when he was announced in the line-up for the Notts County game everyone (myself included), instinctively went "who?"

That's the only time I can remember doing that.

But we knew soon enough who he was.....

It was definitely in the Echo that night as well before the game.

Watching Stan play was amazing -- fast, strong, could hit the ball with either foot strong in the air. If you were to build the perfect striker from scratch with all the key attributes you would end up with Stan Collymore. When he played for us he knew he was going to get the ball, the other team knew he was going to get the ball, the entire crowd knew he was going to get the ball, yet he was unstoppable when he had it.

I swear there were games he used to win balls in the air to flick on to himself. Its just a shame i can only watch him score goals for Liverpool on Youtube.... Naps... time to upload that collection

you will not find a bigger david crown fan than me but stan was much much much better (trust me david crown is an idol of mine so hard for me to say that)

Stan had the skill, the pace and the strength, but in a decade dominated by violently grotesque haircuts, David Crown lent the mullet a graceful respectability under difficult circumstances. And that's all that matters in my book.

Back