• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan here ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you bring this down to a single, understandable overall strategic goal, we might start to get somewhere.

"Southend United fans want a successful football league club that will be financially sustainable for future generations."

There are several other sub-goals too, not listed as i am between meetings!!

The point is, Rons goal may be similar, creating a common starting point. Ad you get into detail, you start to uncover the common ground and the conflicts. When you know these, you can start to build an overall strategic plan for change based on clearly defined points and a negotiated position that will give all parties something to work with.

Hey everyone, long time no speak.

Firstly, hope everyone is staying safe and healthy in these extraordinary times, that trumps everything, including football.

Ive read a few posts on here a number of times, mostly football based on my short but wonderful time at Southend, and some who are rude, misinformed, rake up irrelevant jibes from 25 years ago. Friend or foe, that's fine with me.

But I'll tell you two facts. Absolute facts about me in 2021.

First is that I can afford to pay my milk bill so I don't need to chase around looking to do anything that I don't want to do. I've left broadcasters, harangued them over issues that ironically have proved me right in the last 48 hours ( Super League), taken some to court and won for illegality ( phone hacking) and stood alone at times in speaking out about many issues involved in our sport. So please, don't think for a minute that attaching myself in any way, shape or form to Southend United has any material benefit to me whatsoever. I do fine as I am, and am very happy as I am.

Uncouth? Yes.
Shouty? Yes
Blunt? Yes

Why? Because sometimes, again as we've seen in the last 48 hours, maintaining the status quo tends to see clubs eat themselves willingly, so I decide to crack the odd nut with a sledgehammer to make my points heard.

Secondly, the contacts I have in business and football get me immediately in front of the top 1% of people in global football. Just because you don't see me or hear me on the circuit of nodding pundits, again please don't think that I am not active. I see, speak and am regularly contacted by the biggest, and I mean biggest administrators, ex players and football business investors around.

In 2018 I was asked by RT ( Russian TV news channel/propaganda outlet/ tick as you like) to make a TV programme about the 2018 World Cup. Carter Blanche to contact people I knew, stories I wanted to cover, counties to visit.

These are the people I contacted directly, from my contacts book, with zero outside help ( I put a small team together to produce and help). Now I'll be modest, bit if you can find anyone bar Lineker, Neville and perhaps a very small handful of people in the sport who can call someone in Madrid at 4pm then sit down with them in the Real Madrid complex at 8pm, then please, please invite them into discuss Southend United as they will simply be able to dump an extraordinary amount of leads for you to give your club the best chance of survival, then progression.

This is purely for those who look ate as some kind of mouthy cartoon character. ??

All joined me for free, for hours, from Zico and Lineker's home to the run of Hagi's academy to Ramos and Carlos at Madrid football complex to Fatima Samoura, the most powerful woman in our sport, to the inside of the FA, Brazilian FA, Icelandic FA and beyond.

So all I'd ask, is that you park your "Collymore is a loud mouth, dogging wifebeater ", as only the loud mouth is relevant in 2021. You don't get access to these people easily unless you have some clout.

So I can afford to pay my milk bill and I can access a huge repository of potential support for a forward thinking project which would see stability, immediate fan representation ( i make zero apology for supporting 50+1 over 2 decades now) in the club structure and a guarantee of Football League football in future seasons.

That's it. That's the totality of an offer to Ron, Southend United and it's supporters. As I've offered several times in person to Ron over a decade ago, in a message to the club a week or more ago abd a number of times directly to you, the people who matter.

You all have a choice. Continue to maintain the status quo with Ron in Non League, hope that the culture of the club goes from abject and utter failure to Salford City-esque investment and bloody minded ladder climbing or open hearts and minds to anyone who wants the best for the club.

I proved my worth in the Championship at Southend, for 6 months only, granted, but the club were down and out before I arrived, the club got £3 million in the bank, a shiny stand and a solid platform to build from. These are facts.

Ive also gone on record a number of times, with zero benefit other than the truth, to say how proud and happy I was at Southend United in those 6 months and how the kindness and support I received helped not only my career on the pitch but my mental health in my darkest hours. Southend mattered, the support mattered.

If I never visit the Hall again, I'll be sad but I'll live.

If Southend United end up in Tier 8, I'll be sad but I'll live.

But the offer of only tangible, real time experience of a 30 year industry professional with Grade A contacts, genuine warmth and love for a club and it's support could only ever be scoffed at by an idiot or a billionaire.

If the club need me, for anything, without prejudice, they know where I am. As do you.

Stay safe.

Stanley Victor Collymore

I can contribute a fiver if you need.

Joking aside, that's good to hear but I fear RM simply won't listen. Unless someone is prepared to pay him the tens of millions he stands to make from the new stadium development (and the redevelopment of Roots Hall) then I can't see him even paying attention, let alone responding.

Ideally any deal would also have to involve buying back the stadium and any anything attached.

Last edited:
I don't think lack of experience running a club matters as much as you may initially think. In theory Stan could bring in the right people who do have that experience to support him and the club.

Surround yourself with smart + passionate people and it makes things a lot easier. It'd be nice to have an ownership that we know for sure have the club's best interests at heart. Unfortunately I can't see Ron selling up.

Love you Stan and seeing you pop up on here again has given me a rare SUFC related smile this month. You were and indeed are the Man.

The problem we have is that SUFC is worth more to Ron than it is to all the outside investors you can muster up. Without SUFC Ron goes bust (and without Ron SUFC goes bust). SUFC just isn't worth the investment required to pay off all the debts. I'll support any project that can move SUFC forward but it's going to be tough as realistically investors wouldn't be getting a return so why would they invest?

in a nutshell this is the problem....

BUT the club is the supporters and if the supporters have a "viable entity" the "viable entity" is very attractive to the football authorities, to the local authorities, to the wider community, to other investors etc etc.

If there is an operational alternative to a RM owned SUFC things get very, very difficult for RM.

If the alternative to RM has the full support of the fan base he has sweet FA apart from a terrible reputation and some player registrations and membership of the NL -

Chicken and egg situation - at the moment the fans have nothing so RM is unopposed and we are dependent on him.

If the fans had an alternative RM has very little of real value except for the trouble of trying to run a non league football club. We can do that for him and give him tuppence to eff off.
The new owners don't have to take on the debt.

Right now SUFC is going to as cheap as it ever will be ... easy pickings for a fan led initiative.

Firstly, hope everyone is staying safe and healthy in these extraordinary times, that trumps everything, including football.

Ive read a few posts on here a number of times, mostly football based on my short but wonderful time at Southend, and some who are rude, misinformed, rake up irrelevant jibes from 25 years ago. Friend or foe, that's fine with me.

First is that I can afford to pay my milk bill so I don't need to chase around looking to do anything that I don't want to do. I've left broadcasters, harangued them over issues that ironically have proved me right in the last 48 hours ( Super League), taken some to court and won for illegality ( phone hacking) and stood alone at times in speaking out about many issues involved in our sport. So please, don't think for a minute that attaching myself in any way, shape or form to Southend United has any material benefit to me whatsoever. I do fine as I am, and am very happy as I am.

Uncouth? Yes.
Shouty? Yes
Blunt? Yes

Why? Because sometimes, again as we've seen in the last 48 hours, maintaining the status quo tends to see clubs eat themselves willingly, so I decide to crack the odd nut with a sledgehammer to make my points heard.

Secondly, the contacts I have in business and football get me immediately in front of the top 1% of people in global football. Just because you don't see me or hear me on the circuit of nodding pundits, again please don't think that I am not active. I see, speak and am regularly contacted by the biggest, and I mean biggest administrators, ex players and football business investors around.

In 2018 I was asked by RT ( Russian TV news channel/propaganda outlet/ tick as you like) to make a TV programme about the 2018 World Cup. Carter Blanche to contact people I knew, stories I wanted to cover, counties to visit.

These are the people I contacted directly, from my contacts book, with zero outside help ( I put a small team together to produce and help). Now I'll be modest, bit if you can find anyone bar Lineker, Neville and perhaps a very small handful of people in the sport who can call someone in Madrid at 4pm then sit down with them in the Real Madrid complex at 8pm, then please, please invite them into discuss Southend United as they will simply be able to dump an extraordinary amount of leads for you to give your club the best chance of survival, then progression.

This is purely for those who look ate as some kind of mouthy cartoon character. ??

All joined me for free, for hours, from Zico and Lineker's home to the run of Hagi's academy to Ramos and Carlos at Madrid football complex to Fatima Samoura, the most powerful woman in our sport, to the inside of the FA, Brazilian FA, Icelandic FA and beyond.

So all I'd ask, is that you park your "Collymore is a loud mouth, dogging wifebeater ", as only the loud mouth is relevant in 2021. You don't get access to these people easily unless you have some clout.

So I can afford to pay my milk bill and I can access a huge repository of potential support for a forward thinking project which would see stability, immediate fan representation ( i make zero apology for supporting 50+1 over 2 decades now) in the club structure and a guarantee of Football League football in future seasons.

That's it. That's the totality of an offer to Ron, Southend United and it's supporters. As I've offered several times in person to Ron over a decade ago, in a message to the club a week or more ago abd a number of times directly to you, the people who matter.

You all have a choice. Continue to maintain the status quo with Ron in Non League, hope that the culture of the club goes from abject and utter failure to Salford City-esque investment and bloody minded ladder climbing or open hearts and minds to anyone who wants the best for the club.

I proved my worth in the Championship at Southend, for 6 months only, granted, but the club were down and out before I arrived, the club got £3 million in the bank, a shiny stand and a solid platform to build from. These are facts.

Ive also gone on record a number of times, with zero benefit other than the truth, to say how proud and happy I was at Southend United in those 6 months and how the kindness and support I received helped not only my career on the pitch but my mental health in my darkest hours. Southend mattered, the support mattered.

But the offer of only tangible, real time experience of a 30 year industry professional with Grade A contacts, genuine warmth and love for a club and it's support could only ever be scoffed at by an idiot or a billionaire.

If the club need me, for anything, without prejudice, they know where I am. As do you.

Stay safe.

Stanley Victor Collymore

Dear Stan.

Thank you for caring, we may ask for no more than that, but you are clearly willing to do a lot more. You write about pride in getting your opportunity in the wonderful game, and that is a reminder to me that Southend's role has always been where we have existed to set up and work with youngsters that have had great careers, of which you are one shining example. Why do we love our Club, it is so many factors, friendship, love, reaching out to others who are struggling and by our past, creating opportunities for those that might not have a bright future. The youth set up by Ricky Duncan epitomises that and the fear we might lose our way there is a huge worry. We are small pieces in a much larger jigsaw and I truly hope out of this darkness, we rebuild from the base up an put in place a Club and business, we may be proud off. If this week has not shown the true value of football in our culture, it never will. I look forward to reading more and for what it is worth, which is not a huge amount, I'm with you!

Last edited:
Just the fact that at this moment in time there is an embryonic alternative to sailing along on an unchanging course on the RMS Ron Martin has cheered me up this afternoon.

I would concur with every voice aired that getting RM to sell up, without a return on his not inconsiderable investments AND returns on the potential redevelopment of Roots Hall is not going to be easy.

In fact, although I have no insight, I would suggest it is similar, obviously not exactly the same situation or scale, as Chelsea were in, when Mathew Harding got involved and Ron Bates was made an acceptable offer to move on to pastures new. Now the sums of money involved may not be the same, but they are far from insignificant and shows the size that any successful venture would need to be. Therefore meaning that outside involvement from the town would probably need to be involved, though not for definite.

That is why it would be imperative to have someone involved who could be a focal point and an influencer within the game and have financial contacts to bring any such scheme into fruition.

Carrying the fans with them, again, as Mathew Harding did from memory, is also highly important.

Therefore, if there are any legs whatsoever in what Stan is proposing, I am in, in whatever small capacity I can assist in whatsoever and I would recommend the same to anyone else if this shows any signs at all in getting off of the ground. Shrimpers Trust, Save Our Southend and any other fan groups must be included in any dialogue so a united front can be assembled and after the last twenty odd years, clarity and transparency is a must.

For the offer and at this hugely early stage of a possible alternative, Stan - Thank you!

If the finances are there to persuade Ron to sell even with his stadium dreams then make it happen Stan, I think the majority of the fans would be behind to hopefully see some happier times as a Southend United Football Club supporter!

You know what, I actually feel honoured as a fan that someone who played a small part in our history, an unfashionable Essex football team feels the passion to want help us and I for one would be delighted to have the help of Stan and real football people.

Ron is a businessman first and foremost and we have simply been a commodity to him, yes we got lucky with a plucky team and a superb striker in Eastwood to get to the championship for a season but we never kicked on, were never likely to kick on because the business plan has always been get the stadium, get the money, get rid. The delay after delay after delay has meant Ron has had to hang on to us longer than he would of wanted and we have had to deal with the rot for a long time and enough is enough! Some say well what does Stan know about running a football club? What did Ron know about running a football club and yet we accepted him and every other crook who's owned us in the last 50 years.

Stan, you're a real football man and I think its time for us to embrace something new so if you could help us out I and thousands of other fans both now and future would be eternally grateful

some fans need to form some sort of organisation - a company with shareholders would do - and try and take over ...

the articles of association of the company can be structured to align with the aims of the organisation (running a successful football operation) and democratic structure

the goodwill of all of our supporters in the world of football can be transmitted

1/ by buying shares
2/ offering expertise
3/ sitting on the board ..

the initial relevant skill sets - legal etc - are probably available from the Shrimperzone community.

the initial seed funding can be by shares bought by supporters -

2000 x GBP 500 = 1 million pounds - and go from there ..

just an idea from coffee break at work !!

We've done that one, many fans bought shares years ago and they're not worth toffies.

The problem is @stan collymore we don’t have a choice really, do we? We could all merrily decide now that we want a change of ownership and direction of the club (believe me it’s a constant wish for many) but we have no influence on Ron, we are just a bunch of moaners to him already I suspect.

You have your contacts and influence, but what can you do with them/it? More importantly what are you suggesting you will attempt to do? And what are you asking the supporters to do to assist?
There's one approach I can see working...

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 15.56.26.png

Does Ron own a horse?

Last edited:
Hi Stan. I saw your first game for Southend, and I saw your last game. When you came here no one had heard of you. We were expecting relegation. The performances were terrible. The crowds were getting smaller. Who's this Collymore bloke? He won't make much difference to this shower. Boy was we wrong. A lot of fans missed your debut as they were protesting about Vic Jobson outside the ground. Without doubt, you saved us from relegation. It was an absolute pleasure to see quality on the pitch. It very soon became obvious that you was far too good for us, but we would enjoy the ride while it lasted. I have posted you debut goals below. Thank you for the memories. Thank you for saving us that season. The people at Southend, and those that worked at the club really took to you, and you responded. It was a perfect fit, as we're down to earth people, and so are you. I know you got genuinely emotional on paying a visit to Roots Hall a few years back, and walking on the pitch. You said it was your happiest time in football. Thank you for still showing the love, and that you care about our club. I think most on here would love you and a team or consortium come in and take over. Inject some cash and get the best players we can pay and attract, to see us back in League Two, and hopefully rise even further. But It's a situation where the Chairman has so far lost Millions. He only gets those Millions back and more, once the Fossetts Farm development happens. I bet he can't wait to bugger off. He will sell or rent out the flats, Hotel, shops, apartments, houses or whatever(keeps changing with the economic climate and the Council) and build a 3 sided stadium for us, leaving the new owners to build the expensive main stand. So you see Stan, he is stuck, so we are stuck. Unless he gets his money back and the pot of gold, he won't sell or give away the club, as the football club and Fossetts development is hand in hand, and I don't think the Council will allow it to be separate. He also needs the development money probably in an advanced cash deal or loan, to build the 3 sides.
But yes Stan. If you can do anything to help save our club, it would be so appreciated. This club is losing money hand over fist every month to be honest Stan. It is in danger of going out of business. The players we have at present are more likely to take us down again, rather than straight back up. If Ron Martin would at least talk to you, to explain his predicament, or even accept any help you would be able to give him in any way. That would be brilliant in my eyes. Like you say, you have the contacts in the whole world of football. They meet and listen to you. Any help in any way, no matter how big or how small, would be appreciated. Obviously after speaking and agreeing with the Chairman.
Thanks Again Stan. And apologies for being one of that rowdy lot that lifted you up, then tried to take your kit from you on the pitch, when we avoided relegation, Lol. Take it as a compliment, as we didn't want the other players kit.

Good list of players, but I reckon none of them could do it on a cold Saturday in January away to Huddersfield like SVC could.....

Pele

Zico

Maradona

Sergio Ramos

Jose Mourinho

Dani Carvajal

Roberto Carlos

Fabio Cannavaro

Rene Higuita

Roberto di Matteo

Patrick Viera

Patrick Kluivert

Gary Lineker

Michel

Gheorghe Hagi

Sadour Azmoun

Roman Neustadter

Hristo Stoichkov

Davor Suker

Savo Milosevic

Savio

Roberto Martinez

Roberto Ayala

Peter Crouch

Les Ferdinand

Marcelo Gallardo

Saido Mane

Lukas Podolski

Nuno Gomes

Luis Figo

Luis Suarez

Andrea Pirlo

David Villa

Teofillo Cubillas

Alexei Lalas

Peter Shilton

Andrei Shevchenko

Rinat Dassaev

Frank Leboeuf

Gica Popescu

Paul Parker

Michel Salgado

David Trezeguet

David James

Pierre Van Hooijdonk

Lars Bohinen

Stanislav Cherchesov

Gareth Southgate

Antonio Rattin

Fernando Caceres

Juan Pablo Angel

Andres Guardado

Risa Durmisi

Heidur Halgrimsson

Gudni Bergsson

Leon Balogun

Robert Pires

Jermaine Jenas

Eric Dier

Kevin Kilbane

Kasper Schmeichel

Niklas Bendtner

Clarke Carlisle

Bob Bradley

Paolo Wanchope

Oliver Bierhoff

Roman Pavlyuchenko

Graeme Souness

Sol Campbell

Martin Dahlin

Freddie Llungberg

Mikel Silvestre

Ian Rush

John Barnes

Ruben Sosa

Iago Aspas

Jay Bothroyd

Dan Petrescu

Last edited:
YB, I agree with you on this - we seem screwed either way. so what do you think would be our (barely) realistic best case scenario?

it seems to me that anyone buying us on a commercial basis would simply do similar to Ron Martin - the value is in the land and we need to be rehoused for someone to unlock that. With the struggle of retail/commercial there seems economic benefit in building anything other that a basic stadium.

So is the only solution someone paying over the odds through passion to take control of the clubs, or we go bust and start again somewhere?

Love you Stan and seeing you pop up on here again has given me a rare SUFC related smile this month. You were and indeed are the Man.

The problem we have is that SUFC is worth more to Ron than it is to all the outside investors you can muster up. Without SUFC Ron goes bust (and without Ron SUFC goes bust). SUFC just isn't worth the investment required to pay off all the debts. I'll support any project that can move SUFC forward but it's going to be tough as realistically investors wouldn't be getting a return so why would they invest?

Firstly, Stan is a club legend with a genuine desire and the contacts to help. That has to be a good thing.

Secondly, our club seems to be fundamentally broken, and has appeared that way for a number of years now. It is absolutely screaming out for a total over haul starting with a change in ownership.

Thirdly, Who is to say that Ron wouldn’t walk away from the club? He seems focused only on the development, and that now has very little to do with the club itself, other than providing us with a three sided stadium, in the middle of a housing estate (that it sounds as if we will not own, and it appears would generate very little, if any, revenue for the club).

If Ron sold up, New owners could concentrate on running the club and creating a sustainable business with appropriate investment.
Ron could concentrate on making his millions developing Roots Hall and Fossetts Farm.

I fear that as other posters have stated above, the debt may be too much to make any investment attractive, in a club that seemingly has no assets, and shortly no league status, but this type offer to help should surely be actively encouraged?

What does Southend own? vs what does Ron Marton own?

Does the club actually own anything or would Stan have to buy everything off of Ron?

Also Stan .... I'd love for you to buy the club

Stan, whatever comes of this thread, I’m sure amongst the doom and gloom supporters welcome being able to reminisce about happier times - those six month- the debut goals, Huddersfield away and having one of our players on goal of the month, the assist for Angell against West Ham, destroying Colin Cooper on TV, toying With the Bristol Rovers Defence, safety secured against Luton........will stay with us fans and they certainly brought more memories in a short time than we have had in the last 4 years.

Regarding your post - whatever negative comments have been made, I doubt there is a shrimper who on a like for like basis would prefer what we have rather than you involved. However, the fans are jaded and think Ron Martin has us over a barrel. Tangibly, what incentive do you see Ron has for wanting to sell to you......because the way we see it a relegation will cause him some hurt pride but the prize for him is moving the club and developing Roots Hall- relegation isn’t going to change that.........

Uncouth? Yes.
Shouty? Yes
Blunt? Yes

Stay safe.

Stanley Victor Collymore

But 99.9 percent of us knew that when purchasing

Agreed, but it's not how investing in shares work, you want a return (dividend payment) at least, as well as a say in how the club is run from your financial investment. Neither of those have materialised therefore, I can't see any supporters giving Ron anymore money in the future.

Agreed, but it's not how investing in shares work, you want a return (dividend payment) at least, as well as a say in how the club is run from your financial investment. Neither of those have materialised therefore, I can't see any supporters giving Ron anymore money in the future.
Actually you get to go to the AGM. You can say what you like there. Shares don't always give a monetary return anyway. Have you never read the small print. I've had lots of shares at one time and I can't remember the last time the bosses at Astrazeneca wanted my opinion.

Not in this case. I knew full well I'd never see a return on that money, but was happy to purchase some shares with a bit of spare cash so that I could say I own a bit of my football club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back