• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan

........ indeed they are - as the saying goes :

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.

Stan - you are providing hope where there was none.

I don't know you as a person so can't comment on you as a person but I loved you as a player, I loved your journalistic style, I love what you are trying to achieve for us, and I love the enthusiasm that you bring to your zoom calls.

Please stick with us as we need you and your help.

Hadenoughblue is frustrated as are many and I also know that my style as a sports broadcaster or journalist is combative.

Add that to a spectacular loss of way 25 years ago and it's easy to make a simple picture.

But aged 50, happy and productive, I'm in a position of "take it or leave it" not "I'm begging you".

That affords a degree of honesty that many aren't used to, especially in football which is often smoke and mirrors ( as you all know too well!).

So being liked isn't any issue for me. Being respected for what I do not say, is.

If given a role, by the end of this week the relevant people will have significantly more options than if I'm not. That's not over confidence , that's measurable fact ( which I've set out a number of times).

But Ron or Phil or Patrick or Ricky or anyone at the club may think like Hadenoughblue and feel there's enough stench still attached to me from long ago to have a knee jerk negative reaction.

That's fine.

My answer to that? Ask anyone in the sport about my work ethic, contacts, delivery of promises and obsession with doing a good job. Or due diligence as it's called!

Does Ron know the consequences of going onto an unknown League with an experienced manager but little else? I don't know.

So let's give both men as many options as possible which just happen to be from an ex player who loves the club and has one of the best contacts book in the game, plenty of energy for the tasks ahead and motivation to see the club where I left it.

Championship with a few quid in the bank. Simple.

Hi Stan, one question and just a statement I feel weird in making.

I have read all your posts and watched all the video links, into the early hours where necessary and what you say makes total sense.

Here's the weird bit, lol.....why do I feel so much more positive about facing a season as a non-league club for the first time in my lifetime having supported the Blues for over 45 years?

I will tell you and SZ why, because it is what you are potentially bringing to the table. I tried to dissect the last meeting into categories, and it was just so positive. So good luck tomorrow and I hope Ron has the sense to take this all in and bring you, meaningfully, onboard.

For me personally, just one BIG THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for what you are prepared to do for the best club in the world in my opinion!

Now the question:

• Why would you want to stop in the Championship, if the example you gave of Romanian Gheorghe Hagi's team beating Steau Bucharest to win the Romanian league, why would you not want to see if we could make the top table, if we made the Championship with your involvement ?

Some people on here seem to have taken a dislike to Stan for reasons I struggle to understand.Stan has offered to help the club and its supporters because he wants to he hasn't been asked.I believe that he was helped on his journey in his playing career by joining us and the rest is history.I dont see any other explayers lining up to help so we should be highly grateful Stan for the offer.

Southend should be like Peterboro who appear to well run they buy players from local teams and sell on for a profit.I have no knowledge of how Peterboro works but they have just got into the Championship something I remember very well that we achieved and hopefully we will achieve again.

@stan collymore, here's a question for you. Perhaps better suited to the CEO/Finance guys, but I'd love to hear your take on what you think would be a realistic price for season cards next season? Obviously bearing in mind we are now NL, but trying to provide the club with a "warchest" as Ron would say, to try and bounce-back immediately. But at the same time, not fleecing the fans or risking further financial turmoil...

To keep it simple lets stick to Adult prices only. FYI this season gone was £370 Adult (with some discounts available for covid interruption etc) https://www.southendunited.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/

What is your take?...

Me personally, I would like to see £299 (max) and perhaps a slightly cheaper option made available in the North Bank to get it packed out and provide that 12th man atmosphere at the Hall :Smile:

It takes time to rebuild burnt bridges.

All I can prove is the willingness of people at clubs who wouldn't touch Southend to now work with me and as a consequence, Southend United.

I can prove it ( potential CEO is one!) which is why I can say it aloud without anyone here or elsewhere being able to contradict it.

I've built relationships in the game over 30 years, and turbo charged in the last 20. You simply can't get names I have worked with in projects I've created without trust. You just can't!

Southend United don't have that anywhere in the club, today as we speak.

I'm bringing a banquet table of contacts and goodwill to the table at a time when the table in the boardroom has crumbs on it.

If a proper structure is in place due to these contacts and goodwill, Southend United will fly.

Or find someone else with those contacts, and there will be a few. See how many will give Southend a second glance.

The saviour of the club won't be any manager or CEO or player or owner. It'll be the structure that allows all of them to work on their role efficiently, and my worry is that a fan base so used to "great XXX has come in, happy days ahead " is like an addict. Needing a next hit rather than living a healthy and sustainable lifestyle.

Doing things right means behavioural change. Nobody knows that more than me.

So little things, like announcing managers? Do it on official club channels rather radio stations. Why? Because the only people you owe is those who put their hard earned into the club, who support the club day in, day out. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

It may not seem a big thing but lots of little things done well create trust, momentum and success.
Hiya Stan. Thank you so much for leading and pushing the change needed in our club. It is fantastic that you care so much. You are somebody we needed years ago. A breath of fresh air from the stink we have had from RM.

As much as I feel you are exactly what SUFC needs can I urge an element of caution in your updates to fans and how the media can put a spin on things.

IMO headlines such as '6 areas Stan Collymore has sorted in a bid to help Southend United' will only alienate RM. Whilst it is correct what you have and are doing I feel RM's ego will need to take a lot of credit for turning SUFC round. I can see you not being given a role in the club if you take too much of the credit for our upcoming success. (even though you should) Ron has to be the big cheese. It has to be him.

We all know in reality it is you. But we need you in the club and RM will not want to be the understudy. Careful with your own self-promotion.

I am not in any way having a dig at your Stan. I cannot thank you enough for starting this. I just want you to be here when success starts. Once that happens we can make you a saint and have your statue outside wherever our new ground will be.

Keep pushing for us Stan you are an immortal blue. UTB

It's great to see Stan pushing for a modern approach to club management with all the right structures in place for the club to succeed. Too often teams chase short-term success by throwing money around they can't afford. We need to look at the bigger picture. I can only hope that Ron listens! Keep fighting the good fight

Stan, love and admire your honesty, knowledge and enthusiasm for the club.
anyone else getting concerned that If Ron takes a step back and accepts the offer of help the fans will soon run out of things to moan about

@stan collymore, here's a question for you. Perhaps better suited to the CEO/Finance guys, but I'd love to hear your take on what you think would be a realistic price for season cards next season? Obviously bearing in mind we are now NL, but trying to provide the club with a "warchest" as Ron would say, to try and bounce-back immediately. But at the same time, not fleecing the fans or risking further financial turmoil...

To keep it simple lets stick to Adult prices only. FYI this season gone was £370 Adult (with some discounts available for covid interruption etc) https://www.southendunited.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/

What is your take?...

Me personally, I would like to see £299 (max) and perhaps a slightly cheaper option made available in the North Bank to get it packed out and provide that 12th man atmosphere at the Hall :Smile:

Really important issue this, Smiffy. I think £299 would be great, and I also think reductions in single ticket prices too.

One of the most important things for me this coming season, possibly more important than ever before given just how shocking our home record has been, is turning Roots Hall into a fortress and making it an intimidating cauldron for away teams. A really difficult place to come to.

Drop season and match day ticket prices. Get an average of 6, maybe 7,000 in the VNL. Make up some shortfall in ticket revenue by getting more bums in seats and increasing secondary spend.

And, most importantly, rebuild loyalty between fans/community and club again.

Lincoln is the model. Relegated out of the EFL with average attendances of 5,000. First season back in L2, average attendance of nearly 9,000.

Southend United has been relegated the Football League after 101 years following two of the most horrendous seasons in the Club's history. Ron Martin by his own admission has struggled to cope with running the Football Club and attempting to relocate from a delapidated Roots Hall to a new stadium at Fossetts Farm. We can all bang on about countless HMRC winding-up petitions and transfer embargoes and the like, but what's done is done.

I have sat back these past few weeks and watched the present situation unfold. I know that a few on here would not welcome any response from an out of touch "Exile" but here goes.

I am astonished at some of the negative comments I read aimed in the direction of Phil Brown and Stan "the man" Collymore. They have emerged from the darkest tunnel of doom and despair to offer their help to this beleagured Club.

To those doubters, please think again and consider what other options are available. You may come to the conclusion as I have, that not only are there none, but what's on offer is manna from Heaven given the current situation.

Thank you.

Hi Jimsdad

My original conversation with The Chairman was to put ducks in a row and do things properly in line with how the modern football industry works rather than being left behind on and off the pitch.

My reasoning for transparency all along with you guys was simple. You can see a timeline of changes and events rather than guess.

So as I said to the supporter groups on zoom, early decisions on key staff, early back to pre season, early player scouting and recruitment were all clearly set out by me as matters of urgency, because the club have been left wanting in many ways in and off the pitch for a number of years.

So although I'm meeting the Chairman tomorrow where we may or may not agree anything regarding a role for me moving forward ( as I've said, it has to have teeth, not interested in cheerleading, I can do that anyway), the important penny drop moments for the Chairman and Phil seem to have at least lead to immediate action.

1. Players know now they have a tough 6 week pre season, back earlier than others, as I suggested should happen.

2. Manager signed up ( my preference is always to have a number of candidates for a job with a CEO/DoF leading an interview process, but Ron wanted Phil so that's his right before other roles have been filled) so that players know wjo they are working with.

3. Key roles to be interviewed and decided quickly. For similar reasons to a manager being signed up. Certainty.

4. Chairman allowing industry professionals to do their job when employed. We'll see if this comes to fruition. The Chairman knows my thoughts on how a proper football structure should work and unless it's allowed to work, the club will be paying the price for sometime to come.

So I'm happy that some of the early issues that I flagged up with the Chairman have been put into practice, fans now at least know the aim is to have a coherent plan to release, sign and line up a group in early July to be ready for the toughest season this club will have faced for a while, even with the two relegations.

For me, as reiterated clearly to supporters and Chairman, the easiest way for success and stability is to let the club structure of industry professionals work its course.

Then if any manager doesn't deliver or decides to go elsewhere, today, tomorrow or 10 years time, like the most successful clubs there are fewer bumps in the road, less damaging changes and more consistency.

Owner employs CEO to run the club.
DoF makes sure club has a comprehensive strategy
Any manager works within the strategy
That avoids excessive or unknown cost implications
That avoids mates, friends of any future manager to be employed by the club on anything other than merit.

My personal view ( i'm not employed by the club) is that a CEO should have been appointed first, a DoF second and then sitting down with Phil as incumbent with a wealth of experience and knowledge of the club putting him in the driving seat but to make sure Southend United at least explored other avenues.

That's not being disrespectful to Phil, someone I know, get on great with and respect. That's just common sense.

I believe the Chairman is meeting 2 potential CEO'S today and I'm meeting him tomorrow.

If I get any role ( which I set out on 2 zoom calls to general supporters and the Trust aside from Ron) it will Insist on doing things properly in every way, every day. Or the Chairman is free of course to go whichever path he wishes.

Talk is cheap. Gestures are cheap.

Action time. ?

Keep up the great work Stan. 99% of us appreciate the situation the club finds itself in and the fabulous opportunity that you present.

One of the few disappointments that I have is that I only saw you play the once and didn't get to witness a Collymore goal first hand.

I can help the club get back into the Football League, Pronto.

Beyond that

I've asked Chris Phillips at the Echo as a courtesy to my transparency on this forum and to supporters groups to only post threads that I've started rather than other threads that I get involved in.

Why? The 6 points weren't for publication on their own they were in context of a discussion with you guys.

So I made my position clear to Chris. Please feel free to post statements on here ( threads I start) but not ones that are a consequence of a conversation.

That may be naive but it needn't be. Transparency, opinions, conversations and statements can all live alongside one another as long as there's a healthy respect, which Chris and I have.

So I was clear with Chris that I'd hope statements started by me rather than open conversations with you guys are used in the Echo or sadly of stop posting here which would be anti transparency!

As for Ron and Phil, big characters who as successful men will always back their own judgement, my mantra is unwavering.

The sum total of this wonderful football club is greater than any of its individual parts.

And I'm very comfy with that approach.
As I said, not a dig Stan. I have supported Blues for 55 years now and I can see a good future ahead with you involved. Like many hurt supporters we have had happiness snatched from us and I do not want what you started not to continue without you.

Hiya Stan. Thank you so much for leading and pushing the change needed in our club. It is fantastic that you care so much. You are somebody we needed years ago. A breath of fresh air from the stink we have had from RM.

As much as I feel you are exactly what SUFC needs can I urge an element of caution in your updates to fans and how the media can put a spin on things.

IMO headlines such as '6 areas Stan Collymore has sorted in a bid to help Southend United' will only alienate RM. Whilst it is correct what you have and are doing I feel RM's ego will need to take a lot of credit for turning SUFC round. I can see you not being given a role in the club if you take too much of the credit for our upcoming success. (even though you should) Ron has to be the big cheese. It has to be him.

We all know in reality it is you. But we need you in the club and RM will not want to be the understudy. Careful with your own self-promotion.

I am not in any way having a dig at your Stan. I cannot thank you enough for starting this. I just want you to be here when success starts. Once that happens we can make you a saint and have your statue outside wherever our new ground will be.

Keep pushing for us Stan you are an immortal blue. UTB
I've asked Chris Phillips at the Echo as a courtesy to my transparency on this forum and to supporters groups to only post threads that I've started rather than other threads that I get involved in.

Why? The 6 points weren't for publication on their own they were in context of a discussion with you guys.

So I made my position clear to Chris. Please feel free to post statements on here ( threads I start) but not ones that are a consequence of a conversation.

That may be naive but it needn't be. Transparency, opinions, conversations and statements can all live alongside one another as long as there's a healthy respect, which Chris and I have.

So I was clear with Chris that I'd hope statements started by me rather than open conversations with you guys are used in the Echo or sadly of stop posting here which would be anti transparency!

As for Ron and Phil, big characters who as successful men will always back their own judgement, my mantra is unwavering.

The sum total of this wonderful football club is greater than any of its individual parts.

And I'm very comfy with that approach.

Stan could go and help any club he wanted or he could decide to focus on his media career and show no interest in any club

His choice is to do everything he can to set Southend United on a positive path and to try keep us on it..

I cannot thank Stan enough for his input, transparency and perseverance so far. His continued support, drive and guidance are are going to be of upmost importance in the seasons ahead. Without Stan's input, God knows where would end up but I think I can guess.

As for Ron, the fact he is meeting and listening to Stan speaks volumes

Stan, thank you. Really, thank you from the bottom of my and my sons hearts.
Ron, if you’re reading/listening, Stans serious involvement in the revitalisation of this football club, will completely negate my desire to get a heartfelt and meaningful apology from you for the breaking of the promise you made to me outside the Liberty Stadium at Swansea, all those years ago.
To all who think I don’t like Mr Brown very much, I don’t. It’s my personal opinion, one that I am entitled to and one that I do not intend to elaborate on here. You have your opinions, I have mine. End of. Really.

Stan,

I just so hope that you get the role with the club and are able to follow up on actioning all of the points you have highlighted, it's hard to disagree with any of them. In fact, they are all what we are crying out for, and to be given the opportunity to tap in to what you can do is just great. As others have alluded to, it seems strange at the moment with the club having just reached its lowest point ever to now have some real hope.

I just have two things nagging away at me which might mean that it doesn't come off (and I hope I'm wrong):

1. That there needs to be a clear line in the team manager decision process, ie. Phil has final say on who to bring it/get rid of (subject to Ron on finance front), you presenting all of these contacts etc is just great (really great) but I just hope Phil doesn't see it as 'interference' and instead sees it as help which he then has the final say on and so he then succeeds or falls on the sword re that player selection

2. I hope that Ron doesn't take offence by all this transparency re your views. We as fans love it, but will Ron be so keen at being told what to do in the public forum?

Good luck tomorrow, I'm aiming to get the Shrimpers Trust Retro Shirt range extended to include the Elonex one in hope that you get the role you are seeking!

Cheers, Andy (the ex players group organiser)

Hadenoughblue is frustrated as are many and I also know that my style as a sports broadcaster or journalist is combative.

Add that to a spectacular loss of way 25 years ago and it's easy to make a simple picture.

But aged 50, happy and productive, I'm in a position of "take it or leave it" not "I'm begging you".

That affords a degree of honesty that many aren't used to, especially in football which is often smoke and mirrors ( as you all know too well!).

So being liked isn't any issue for me. Being respected for what I do not say, is.

If given a role, by the end of this week the relevant people will have significantly more options than if I'm not. That's not over confidence , that's measurable fact ( which I've set out a number of times).

But Ron or Phil or Patrick or Ricky or anyone at the club may think like Hadenoughblue and feel there's enough stench still attached to me from long ago to have a knee jerk negative reaction.

That's fine.

My answer to that? Ask anyone in the sport about my work ethic, contacts, delivery of promises and obsession with doing a good job. Or due diligence as it's called!

Does Ron know the consequences of going onto an unknown League with an experienced manager but little else? I don't know.

So let's give both men as many options as possible which just happen to be from an ex player who loves the club and has one of the best contacts book in the game, plenty of energy for the tasks ahead and motivation to see the club where I left it.

Championship with a few quid in the bank. Simple.

I understand your enthusiasm but I think you're over selling yourself, If getting into the Championship was simple, every club would be there.

My fear is your pitch of that promise land which in all honestly could take many years and in the mean time, leaving people disappionted that it didn't happen sooner than what was expected.

@stan collymore you are an real breath of fresh airs in the past 3 week, I feel I have an hope for the new season in conference, rather than feeling down after the last 3 seasons.

I remember my first ever SUFC Vs **** Ham on 7th of April 1993 as an child when you set up an winner, plus I have an habit of signing you on Championship Manager/SWOS games between 1994 to 1999 for Southend to give me an chances of glory in Premiership!

Back