• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan

Championship manager what a game that was :Clap:

What a team we had, as I took over as Southend on my first ever Championship Manager in 1994, as the team still there was under Barry Fry era, I just added couple of defenders and an attacking midfielder and a striker to complete the team & I ended up winning promotion via play off Vs Derby County & made the league cup final Vs Arsenal and won it ? (I signed Stan Collymore for 7.5 millions from Forest to ensure I stayed up in Premiership, but ended up finishing 5th and won UEFA Cup!).

Thank you for your service!

My Grandad served in Ypres, King's Shropshire Light Infantry, shot in the arm during the Hooge battle, went back to Blighty, recovered and went back to the Somme. Came back and worked 20 years down the pit in Cannock to top off a life I can't imagine.

My 2 Uncles were Canada Run for the merchant navy and Desert Rat in the North Africa campaign.

So to step into the uniform does indeed take something special so you should be very proud of your achievements.

I disagree on my comments being self promotion, I've jumped into a situation where many only know tabloid headlines, urban myths and in some cases complete cobblers, so it's important that I back up what I'm offering with as many facts that you guys can put to the test and hold me to.

Do I believe I can be a great asset to the club? Absolutely.

Did I need to give you names, clubs, jobs and information to give you guys reassurance that I'm not all talk? Yes.

Like you said, you don't like me, that's fine. I try to only reserve judgement on people who I've met a number of times rather than from tabloid newspapers which I'm comfortable with. Job at the club or not, I invite you to meet me a number of times when I'm your way, ask any questions you like, look into the whites of my eyes and make your mind up, as I'm sure you did in the Armed forces.

The key for me is respect. You respect my motives, I respect your right to question them. Simple ??

I did write a long reply but was deleted for some reason.

I also thank your family for it's service to our Country.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I apprecate the chat though.

What a team we had, as I took over as Southend on my first ever Championship Manager in 1994, as the team still there was under Barry Fry era, I just added couple of defenders and an attacking midfielder and a striker to complete the team & I ended up winning promotion via play off Vs Derby County & made the league cup final Vs Arsenal and won it ? (I signed Stan Collymore for 7.5 millions from Forest to ensure I stayed up in Premiership, but ended up finishing 5th and won UEFA Cup!).
That's pretty decent. I was sufc on championship manager 01/02. Iv done nearly 30 season and won countless of trophies! When I last played it, just won the Premier league for 20th time in a row and won champions league over 10 times. Proper addictive game :Thumbs up:

That's pretty decent. I was sufc on championship manager 01/02. Iv done nearly 30 season and won countless of trophies! When I last played it, just won the Premier league for 20th time in a row and won champions league over 10 times. Proper addictive game :Thumbs up:

Always the best version. This thread may be of interest to you:

It wasn't actually a personal dig at you, I think you've jumped on this post. I was replying to the original post that seemed to indicate they wanted you to come in and be on Browns case, therefore, I was just pointing out that a manager with 20 years experience wouldn't like someone (anyone) who hasn't managed a football team treading on his or her toes. I apolagise It really wasn't a personal dig.

I don't partiularly like you as a person, I make no apolagies for that, we all like and dislike people in life...

Again, it wasn't a dig at all.

just out on interest how well do you know Stan? You say you don’t like him as a person. Is this based on personal experience of Stan? Of course Stan has made mistakes which he has paid a price for, but that has no bearing on what he is trying to do for our football club. In the past two or three weeks he has changed the mood of the fan base and somehow managed to get Ron to listen and as a result implement (we hope) changes to the running of the football club and again hopefully stability for the future

thank you for your service by the way, have you seen the new Southend services Facebook page?

Last edited:
Good luck today @stan collymore looking forward to some positive news within the next 24 hours!
Probably wishful thinking on my part but I'm hoping that by close of play tomorrow, we'll have our new football structure fully in place and our retained/released list made public. Then the work can really begin next Monday.

I really don't understand why @hadenoughblue feels it's important to make this a referendum on Stan's character and outlook. I'm sure I disagree with him about a number of key issues, as I disagree with just about every other Southend fan on one thing or another. I've been guilty of lashing out at fellow Blues fans as these last two wretched seasons have unfolded, but at some point we have to stand together and FFS, maybe support the most gifted player we ever had in using his contacts and profile to help get us out of this mess. If we do this right, then next season could be truly special. I'm reminded of the first game against Forest after Stan left, and seeing the enthusiasm of their fans who treated a season in the second tier as a one-off adventure where they expected to get promoted (I recall 'On Loan to the Championship/Div 1' t-shirts, can't remember what it was called then). I would love for us to approach this coming season with the same optimism and excitement, and the early signs are incredibly positive.
I agree, It would be nice to be in a position to approach this season with optimism and excitement; I must admit to already looking forward to August 21st.
But please, NO "on loan to the National League" tee-shirts.
Talk about setting yourself up for a fall. Not only that, my understanding is that generally the relationship with opposition fans is far more friendly in the NL (non-segregation at some grounds), and it would be nice to keep it that way.

What we don't want is for Southend fans to be perceived as arrogant and superior. Let's face it, we haven't got off to a great start with our bleating about the integrity of the NL in order to wriggle out of relegation.
We need to do it the right way next season, on the pitch.
Remember, actions speak way louder than words.

As for Ron, the fact he is meeting and listening to Stan speaks volumes

Not trying to P on Stans bonfire but the biggest step is not meeting or listening but acting on that advice. Which of course Ron may not agree on some of it or even most of it.

Ron Stan and PB thats big triangle for the NL. Even with different levels of fan support for each of the 3 sides, I'm sure 90% of us want the best outcome. I wish them all a good summer but cant help thinking there will be tears before bedtime.

Reactions: GBJ
I really don't understand why @hadenoughblue feels it's important to make this a referendum on Stan's character and outlook. I'm sure I disagree with him about a number of key issues, as I disagree with just about every other Southend fan on one thing or another. I've been guilty of lashing out at fellow Blues fans as these last two wretched seasons have unfolded, but at some point we have to stand together and FFS, maybe support the most gifted player we ever had in using his contacts and profile to help get us out of this mess. If we do this right, then next season could be truly special. I'm reminded of the first game against Forest after Stan left, and seeing the enthusiasm of their fans who treated a season in the second tier as a one-off adventure where they expected to get promoted (I recall 'On Loan to the Championship/Div 1' t-shirts, can't remember what it was called then). I would love for us to approach this coming season with the same optimism and excitement, and the early signs are incredibly positive.

Agreed, but there's also a fine line between optimism and unrealistic expectation. If we expect to be promoted at the end of the season then there could be a huge amount of anger and knee-jerk reactions if it doesn't happen.

As people have pointed out, it's very rare that a team comes straight back up. Moreover, look at Salford and the amount of money they have and see how many seasons it took them to get promoted. It's not a certainty. The only way to deal with this is to get our heads round the situation, build a proper structure at the club, sort out the finances and then hold our nerve, because it might take more than one season.

Agreed, but there's also a fine line between optimism and unrealistic expectation. If we expect to be promoted at the end of the season then there could be a huge amount of anger and knee-jerk reactions if it doesn't happen.

As people have pointed out, it's very rare that a team comes straight back up. Moreover, look at Salford and the amount of money they have and see how many seasons it took them to get promoted. It's not a certainty. The only way to deal with this is to get our heads round the situation, build a proper structure at the club, sort out the finances and then hold our nerve, because it might take more than one season.
Don't forget some expect that promotion having signed a number of under-nourished waifs from the National League N & S and lower. Hidden gems no-one yet knows about. Assembling the right squad and getting the right balance will be very tough- and the chances of those signings meeting the various expectations on here vanishingly small.

Hopefully we will at least break with tradition and see how they perform before writing them off...

Back