• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Orlando)

We've pushed ours out until Aug '21! Fingers crossed!

You might be ok with the parks out there but the flights!!!!! Have you pre-booked much?
Best of luck though
Thank you. Sorry you had to postpone yours too but will be good for 50th anniversary of Disney!

Im not hopeful. We wont be able to go if the 14 day quarantine is still ahead due to work commitments and looking at the States, the deaths are still hight.

We know Disney are not at the moment soing meet and greets and fireworks but we have done that before. We only really care about the rides.

We were going to go Kennedy Space Center, All the Disney Parks and staying on site at Universal and doing them three parks. Possibly Busch Gardens and Disovery Cove if they have tickets back on sale soon

We're booked to go at Easter 2021 and have been for 18 months now.

Virgin are being scumbags and won't refund us the deposit as we don't want to/can't go. The borders are shut and most of the tickets we prebooked are unavailable now, also they have changed our flight from Gatwick to Heathrow and changed the flight times.

All this apparently doesn't constitute a significant change to our booking so they don't want to know. We can defer for another year and pay the difference (how nice of them) of which the prices are already looking another £3-4k extra for the same thing we've already got booked.

My advice is to stay well clear intil all this is over.

Absolutely brilliant. Disney's creators are called "Imagineers" for a reason. I worked in WDW for a year and the company and place are close to my heart so I may always be biased, but nobody creates the level of immersive theming that Disney does (maybe Universal a close 2nd).

Galaxy's Edge is amazing. It looks incredible. Smuggler's Run was a good ride, very innovative and great going on as a family as you can all play different roles in the cockpit. Gives it real re-ride value too. Last time I was out there Rise of the Resistance opened that week but we didn't get the chance to do it. Advance Fast Passes weren't even a thing for it and there were insane queues outside the front of Hollywood Studios from 5 or 6am every day, with the capacity allocation disappearing very quickly. Heard great things but it's a little unreliable and seemed to break down quite a lot at first. Guess that's what happens when you push the boundaries as much as they have with that attraction.

We don't have anything booked but hoping to go out in November 2021, although will be leaving it very late to book anything if we do. Been out there every year since I finished my year working there in 2014. All this Corona crap has made me miss Orlando even more.

Its a tough one, we're due to go for 3 weeks in August, spending 2 weeks in a Villa @ Davenport (paid $300 deposit) and then a week at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal (for the fast passes and quick boat enterance meaning its great value for £)

If we do go in '21, will be a mad rush to book tickets i.e. Discovery Cove and flights etc, thinking maybe flying to Tampa or Miami and driving from there to save some pennies, have you done that ?

Last went in '18, so been to Volcano Bay but havent seen the starwars world yet, cant wait but I have a horrible feeling it wont be like it once was!!!

Its a tough one, we're due to go for 3 weeks in August, spending 2 weeks in a Villa @ Davenport (paid $300 deposit) and then a week at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal (for the fast passes and quick boat enterance meaning its great value for £)

If we do go in '21, will be a mad rush to book tickets i.e. Discovery Cove and flights etc, thinking maybe flying to Tampa or Miami and driving from there to save some pennies, have you done that ?

Last went in '18, so been to Volcano Bay but havent seen the starwars world yet, cant wait but I have a horrible feeling it wont be like it once was!!!

When we went we were advised (by friends who go every year) to fly into Tampa. We did. The airport is huge and completely empty. It was fantastic, and really stress free.

I've looked into flying into Miami, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale loads of times but whenever I've looked flight prices have been barely different to MCO and when you then add in the drive, I might as well not bother. To be fair though I never go during "peak" season (if there is such a thing anymore), namely school holidays. Perhaps you might see bigger benefits with lower fares and crowds by flying into somewhere else during those times.

Never stayed in a Universal Deluxe. Did the new value one, Surfside Inn, which is where Wet n Wild used to be. Pretty good to be fair. Heard great things about Portofino Bay though. I've never stayed in a villa myself but my other half did when she used to go out there with her family as a kid and I can see the benefits of one. But we have so many friends out there now that I think we'd be staying with people if we decided not to do a hotel.

I do think it'll take a while to return to what it was before but who knows? I'm keeping faith that it might resemble my happy place at its best if I manage to get out there Oct/Nov '21!

I've looked into flying into Miami, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale loads of times but whenever I've looked flight prices have been barely different to MCO and when you then add in the drive, I might as well not bother. To be fair though I never go during "peak" season (if there is such a thing anymore), namely school holidays. Perhaps you might see bigger benefits with lower fares and crowds by flying into somewhere else during those times.

Never stayed in a Universal Deluxe. Did the new value one, Surfside Inn, which is where Wet n Wild used to be. Pretty good to be fair. Heard great things about Portofino Bay though. I've never stayed in a villa myself but my other half did when she used to go out there with her family as a kid and I can see the benefits of one. But we have so many friends out there now that I think we'd be staying with people if we decided not to do a hotel.

I do think it'll take a while to return to what it was before but who knows? I'm keeping faith that it might resemble my happy place at its best if I manage to get out there Oct/Nov '21!

We flew into Tampa and picked up our hire car from there. Because there is simply no-one at the airport we walked straight to the front of the Avis queue and 15 minutes later we were driving out of the airport.

We also rented a villa about 20 minutes from Disney World. (When I say 20 minutes, that's the longest the journey ever took us even in rush hour.) The complex had a gym, a games room and a pool. We only really used the pool though. For 10 nights the place cost us $800. Even if you add food, the car hire and parking charges (don't forget you pay once a day however many times you leave and return, so you can park hop to your heart's content) we saved an fortune.

Next time we want to stay in the Galaxy Edge hotel whatever it's called.

I've flown into Miama - we spent a few days in Miami beach area before picking up a hire car from a local Avis. Drove to the parks. Then drove back to Miami airport and left car there.

Was Easter school hols - was quite abit cheaper. Drive was pretty easy

We stayed in the Portofino Bay for two weeks in 2015, lovely hotel and highly recommended, really handy with the Fast Passes and early access to Harry Potter as well. It's a short boat ride to Universal CityWalk or you can walk there through the gardens in no time at all either. You can eat in a different restaurant every night in CityWalk or head to International Drive which isn't far.

I was supposed to be heading to California for a few days in September before travelling on to Hawaii and was going to check out Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland, hoping to re-book to go out next year instead.

Back