• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

STAR WARS thread - for those who have seen it and want an outlet to talk about it!

Medway Blue

Living on the Island of Relevancy ⭐
SPOILER ALERT!!

Not in this post per se, but definitely in the thread.

I've seen it, I loved it. I knew I was a SW geek but didn't realise the film would have this effect on me. I've been grinning like the Cheshire Cat ever since 2.45am yesterday when I finished watching it. My head is spinning with questions and musings about what I saw, almost all overwhelmingly positive but of course I had a couple of teeny tiny issues with it.

What did everyone else think? Let's talk about it!

SPOILER ALERT!!

Not in this post per se, but definitely in the thread.

I've seen it, I loved it. I knew I was a SW geek but didn't realise the film would have this effect on me. I've been grinning like the Cheshire Cat ever since 2.45am yesterday when I finished watching it. My head is spinning with questions and musings about what I saw, almost all overwhelmingly positive but of course I had a couple of teeny tiny issues with it.

What did everyone else think? Let's talk about it!

Same, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved all the nods to the original, I loved I guessed the plot twist wrong, although sadly I was right in guessing the major death.

It felt like a Star Wars films, the difference props and sets make over CGI is massive.

That said, it did feel a little bit too much of a reboot at times, and there were a few too many convenient plot points, but these are minor. Also Rey's assent from scavenger to Jedi was way way too quick and felt wrong. But other than that I loved it.

Through unashamed SW bias, 9/10 for me.

Er, I mean, it was alright, like.

Same, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved all the nods to the original, I loved I guessed the plot twist wrong, although sadly I was right in guessing the major death.

It felt like a Star Wars films, the difference props and sets make over CGI is massive.

That said, it did feel a little bit too much of a reboot at times, and there were a few too many convenient plot points, but these are minor. Also Rey's assent from scavenger to Jedi was way way too quick and felt wrong. But other than that I loved it.

Through unashamed SW bias, 9/10 for me.

Er, I mean, it was alright, like.

Yeah I guessed the death too, but only because I'd read years ago that the actor begged for his character to be killed off in the original trilogy, and he isn't a fan of the character. Would make sense that his condition for coming back was for the character to finally be killed off. I absolutely loved the way it was done though.

I always had a fear that the film would be too fast-paced, as most Abrams films (Star Trek!) are at breakneck speed. He did well to keep it canned a little for The Force Awakens - it was well-paced for an Abrams movie but still a bit too quick for a Star Wars one. I didn't mind Rey's quick ascent mind you - the whole idea of the film, IMO, is that the Force awakens, as the title says....i.e. Force sensitives who didn't know they were Force sensitives and had the Force lying dormant within them, suddenly had it awaken. Which to me is enough to explain her quick rise to being able to do certain things. And it's not like she's suddenly a Jedi Grandmaster - she's powerful but clearly not in control of it and will need training.

How is she related to Ren though? She's MUST be a Skywalker in some form!

Star Wars films have always had huge coincidences running through them, many of which can be explained away by "well it's the will of The Force I guess" (Han said in Episode IV "there's no mysterious energy field that controls my destiny" when pretty clearly there was) but this one took it to another level. A weapon big enough to house a star and the one vulnerable spot is guarded by five Stormtroopers and also happens to be the exact same spot that they took Rey to. Hmmmm.

Really enjoyable film though. I grinned most of the way through it.

Last edited:
Star Wars films have always had huge coincidences running through them, many of which can be explained away by "well it's the will of The Force I guess" "Han said in Episode IV "there's no mysterious energy field that controls my destiny" when pretty clearly there was) but this one took it to another level. A weapon big enough to house a star and the one vulnerable spot is guarded by five Stormtroopers and also happens to be the exact same spot that they took Rey to. Hmmmm.

Really enjoyable film though. I grinned most of the way through it.

That for me was the only thing that I didn't much like - I was happy with a lot of the nostalgic parallels to the first Star Wars, including the Death Star-like structure and the trench runs from the X-Wings to blow it up. But the idea of draining the power of the sun to power a planet-destroying beam wasn't Star Wars IMO, and belonged more in Star Trek.

The only other 2 plot points which had me thinking were:

1) How was Finn (a nervous rookie Stormtrooper) able to hold off Kylo Ren (an uncontrolled but powerful dark jedi) with a lightsabre? Is it because he's Force sensitive too? If so, there was no real allusion made to it like there was with Rey......if not, then how did he do it? He shouldn't really have been able to.

2) What was the ship that took in the Millennium Falcon when Rey and Finn were on it? Whose ship was it? Why were Han and Chewie there, how did they get there and how long had they been on it? What were the 2 gangs who were chasing Han and Chewie and how did THEY get on the ship/know he was there? That was a big plot hole for me.

Thos were the only real gripes though, nothing major at all. Still a 9/10 for me.

What did people think of Kylo Ren?

That for me was the only thing that I didn't much like - I was happy with a lot of the nostalgic parallels to the first Star Wars, including the Death Star-like structure and the trench runs from the X-Wings to blow it up. But the idea of draining the power of the sun to power a planet-destroying beam wasn't Star Wars IMO, and belonged more in Star Trek.

The only other 2 plot points which had me thinking were:

1) How was Finn (a nervous rookie Stormtrooper) able to hold off Kylo Ren (an uncontrolled but powerful dark jedi) with a lightsabre? Is it because he's Force sensitive too? If so, there was no real allusion made to it like there was with Rey......if not, then how did he do it? He shouldn't really have been able to.

2) What was the ship that took in the Millennium Falcon when Rey and Finn were on it? Whose ship was it? Why were Han and Chewie there, how did they get there and how long had they been on it? What were the 2 gangs who were chasing Han and Chewie and how did THEY get on the ship/know he was there? That was a big plot hole for me.

Thos were the only real gripes though, nothing major at all. Still a 9/10 for me.

What did people think of Kylo Ren?

I just took it as the new smuggling ship that Han was using having had the Falcon stolen, and up to his usual tricks was once again in trouble with his employers. Didn't really have any issue with that part. Them finding the Falcon immediatley after Rey took off with it, and agree, them then being immediately found by the gangs was one of the many too coincedental things that happened during the film for me though.

I loved Ren. He was perfect. Angry, scared, hurt, bitter, conflicted. He looked right as well, with and without the mask. That fact he was Ben Solo as well, worked really and was the most effective believable part of the plot.

Loved seeing a few of the old b characters resurrected as well, Ackbar and Nien Nunb for example.

I thought Oscar Isaacs was excellent as Poe Dameron. Some of his lines were brilliant as well. 'Whose gonna speak first, how does this work, is it me, do I speak first'.

I have never emoted that much in the cinema. And yes, I too loved it. The plot was a Star Wars one, unlike the prequels, the characters were awesome in their own ways, and yes, I, in my not a fanboy way did come THIS close to screaming like Luke did.

However, god almighty does Kylo need some anger management classes. And don't be surprised if it turns out he killed Jacen and/Anakin Solo, seeing as it was Jacen that went Sith in the now-Legends line and Anakin died with Chewie. Anakin was the decent Jedi (both in that he wasn't a dick and was a good but not greatly skilled Jedi).

(And, speaking as a resident of Near-Puzzlewood, where the finale lightsabre fight was shot, booyah!)

ETA is it bad that my friend FBd me with "I'M NOT OK, VERY MUCH NOT OK!" And I laughed because I knew exactly why?

Last edited:
I have never emoted that much in the cinema. And yes, I too loved it. The plot was a Star Wars one, unlike the prequels, the characters were awesome in their own ways, and yes, I, in my not a fanboy way did come THIS close to screaming like Luke did.

However, god almighty does Kylo need some anger management classes. And don't be surprised if it turns out he killed Jacen and/Anakin Solo, seeing as it was Jacen that went Sith in the now-Legends line and Anakin died with Chewie. Anakin was the decent Jedi (both in that he wasn't a dick and was a good but not greatly skilled Jedi).

(And, speaking as a resident of Near-Puzzlewood, where the finale lightsabre fight was shot, booyah!)

ETA is it bad that my friend FBd me with "I'M NOT OK, VERY MUCH NOT OK!" And I laughed because I knew exactly why?

No spoilers in that post then.

Thanks Sonic, as always comprehensive and succinct.

I felt it paid just a little too much homage to the original trilogy, but it was nevertheless a highly enjoyable and fast paced film with some brilliant CGI stuff woven in. Great to see Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher back in business again, but I think it was time that he got his, as he did look seriously moth eared. Some great throw away one liners again by the way. If I'm being ultra critical, I think that the way that Rey and Fin morphed from novices to Jedi proficient knights was a bit rushed, especially when you remember how long Luke took to get up to the mark. When we left the cinema we both felt that this was the start of many more SW films. All that said I wouldn't have missed it on the big screen for the world.

To be fair, it seemed fairly obvious to me that a, Finn was never meant to be a Jedi, he was just forced to use the damn thing or get his head chopped off, and b, Rey was lucky and knew how to **** Kylo off enough to GTFO alive.

And no, there's no spoilers in my original post. I just said that I know where the final duel what shot because I live there. Also, this is the spoiler thread, so if you've not seen it and have scrolled down far enough to read it, that's not my problem. The stuff I talked about was from the old EU, which this seems to be taking ideas from, and I'm speculating. Now, I've not done that online much in about a decade, but I think I'm allowed.

To be fair, it seemed fairly obvious to me that a, Finn was never meant to be a Jedi, he was just forced to use the damn thong or get his head chopped off, and b, Rey was lucky and knew how to **** Kylo off enough to GTFO alive.

It's too near Xmas to get my head chopped off so I'm off to put my thong on now, thanks for the tip Sonic.

Absolutely loved it. One of my favourite nods to the original films was 'Mos Eisley Cantina MK II', would love to have a session down there.

Agree with some of the above comments about Fin and Rey (what a fantastic female hero!) getting up to speed so quickly but this is Star Wars. Things like that can just be waved through.

Solid 9/10 and I shall leave the final word to my five year old son....

"Amazing"

Last edited:
Another big thumbs up here. Absolutely loved it, was nearly in tears every 10 minutes. Looks and feels just right, big props to Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac who are all fantastic in it (sooooooo much better than Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman). Can't wait to see it again already.

Absolutely loved it. One of my favourite nods to the original films was 'Mos Eisley Cantina MK II', would love to have session down there.
Loved the fact that the house band were playing a kind of weird reggae, rather than a rehash of The Modal Nodes.

Just seen it. Sadly underwhelmed - secret in a cheeky robot, superpowerful weapon that destroys planets, a hero that doesn't realise their force, son killing father. Christ, is it too hard to think of something new?

Back