• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Still doesn't for me....though I've realised that some things that appear fine to yourself as the poster don't always to everyone else, so it'd be good to see if anyone else has the same problem I do!

Still doesn't for me....though I've realised that some things that appear fine to yourself as the poster don't always to everyone else, so it'd be good to see if anyone else has the same problem I do!

Yes, I only get a red cross as well.

But hey, this is a bit :off topic:

My take on it us that we could really do something if Ron would just back sturrock.

As we have seen this season when were down to the bare bones the board did nothing and im still not convinced that we were under embargo. 43 players turning us down ? I find that hard to beleive.

If thats the sort of thing that we have to face when building a new team for next term then what do we have to look foward to?

Personally im neither confident we can improve the squad given the finances neither am i confident we can hold on to the few decent players we have.

Im not renewing my season card because of the lack of support shown to the manager when he needed it most and also because the increase is unjustified given the level and quality of football.

OK, so here goes.......

The 'dross' and 'toilet' you refer to are the same players who got us to within striking distance of the play-offs, and but for injury and suspensions, may have still been in with a shout now. These are the players we signed when no one else wanted to play for us, and this is the team who at the start of August had 3 professional players signed to us. This is the team, who without Sturrock being at the helm, would have struggled to convince ANY player to join us given the previous goings on at the club, with our reputation in tatters.

They came because of him - No, not every player has been a success. I don't think any manager can claim to have a 100% hit rate when it comes to buying players, but if you take into consideration the time frame he had to work in, what exactly did you expect? I guess I can forgive him if he was unable to persuade Lionel Messi, Christiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney that their career would be better off at Roots Hall!!

At the time Sturrock said one of his main priorities was getting enough players so we had at least cover in every position - he did that, and then some. He then said he add quality as and when it was possible, and he was in no doubt that the squad would change in the fullness of time because of the speed in which it was put together. Yes, he said he wanted to be challenging for the play-offs, and he was for a time - Maybe he has high expectations of himself, or maybe he was warned exactly how suicidal it would be for him to admit anything less in front of our supporters!!

You say our squad has no potential - OK, so the likes of Mosni, Grant, Ferdinand, Hall, Sawyer, Barker and Corr are not talented then no? Interesting point of view to take really, especially when we turned down an offer from a Prem club for Mosni in the window... That's one of the dross that no one else wanted I suppose!! I'm sure you're going to argue that Corr is not talented, as many do, but 18 goals this season would suggest otherwise.

It's easy to take shots at Sturrock Junior isn't it? Again, I suspect you're not understanding how football works. He is a TARGET MAN and as such, does a very good job up top with Coor, and we look a much better team when he is playing - Ih and he chips in with the odd goal. I iamgine the biggest reason for criticising him is because he is the son of the manager - well if you thought nepatism was going on, he wouldn't often be the first player sacrificed if we're not playing well.

Finally, you have contradicted yourself - Ron has taken us to mid table League Two due to the unrealistic transfer budget we have - well if you believe what you say, then how can that be Sturrock's fault? It does not compute!!

If you can't handle the realities of supporting the Blues, then I'm afraid you're going to be in for a very miserable time unless you choose to follow someone else, as it's always been like this!

I would love to see the evidence of this. Maybe something that could be asked at the AGM?

My take on it us that we could really do something if Ron would just back sturrock.

As we have seen this season when were down to the bare bones the board did nothing and im still not convinced that we were under embargo. 43 players turning us down ? I find that hard to beleive.

If thats the sort of thing that we have to face when building a new team for next term then what do we have to look foward to?

Personally im neither confident we can improve the squad given the finances neither am i confident we can hold on to the few decent players we have.

Im not renewing my season card because of the lack of support shown to the manager when he needed it most and also because the increase is unjustified given the level and quality of football.

You're not renewing your season card because the club is not backing the manager. And how exactly is withdrawing your support going to help a cash strapped club?

You're not renewing your season card because the club is not backing the manager. And how exactly is withdrawing your support going to help a cash strapped club?

The current 'backing' doesn't seem to be doing a lot at the moment though.

As i've said before, Ron should swallow his pride, and ask for financial help from someone else. He won't though, because he doesn't want to lose another slice of his "profit pie".

A mass boycott may well hurt the club, but it may also jolt Martin into seeking outside investment. Currently the club and us, the fans, are being shat on from a great height, all because of one man's greed.

The current 'backing' doesn't seem to be doing a lot at the moment though.

As i've said before, Ron should swallow his pride, and ask for financial help from someone else. He won't though, because he doesn't want to lose another slice of his "profit pie".

A mass boycott may well hurt the club, but it may also jolt Martin into seeking outside investment. Currently the club and us, the fans, are being shat on from a great height, all because of one man's greed.

Without sounding rude here.

1. Who want's to work with him? Nobody.
2. Who want's to get involved in a football club? Nobody.

Until the first brick is laid nobody will want to get involved, and Ron won't want anyone else involved.
:sad:

A mass boycot wouldn't force Martin to do anything at all. I don't think he would care that much!

Without sounding rude here.

1. Who want's to work with him? Nobody.
2. Who want's to get involved in a football club? Nobody.

Until the first brick is laid nobody will want to get involved, and Ron won't want anyone else involved.
:sad:

A mass boycot wouldn't force Martin to do anything at all. I don't think he would care that much!

Somebody, somewhere would jump at the chance, if they stood to make a tidy profit from RonWorld. This is backed up by the fact we've heard many times about the consortium of 10+ people wanting to get involved. Do the majority of them want anything to do with the football club? No. But, they're willing to, if they see a nice return from the FF development. Does anyone want to work with Martin? Again, probably not, but this is business, not a social club.

This is my point, we don't know who is out there, and we may never know, because it's all down to Martin. Only he can decide to bring other people into the mix, but of course he won't want to lose any of that lovely profit, so that just won't happen. Our two options, would be to force him to seek help (if that is at all possible) or to roll over and let him carry on doing what he wants.

A mass boycott would force him to find extra money to keep the club going (you'd hope). You say he wouldn't care about a boycott, and I agree maybe he wouldn't, and maybe it won't do any good. But if there's a chance it would do some good, then maybe it's actually worth considering/doing, instead of mindlessly funding Martin's one-man demolition job.

Somebody, somewhere would jump at the chance, if they stood to make a tidy profit from RonWorld. This is backed up by the fact we've heard many times about the consortium of 10+ people wanting to get involved. Do the majority of them want anything to do with the football club? No. But, they're willing to, if they see a nice return from the FF development. Does anyone want to work with Martin? Again, probably not, but this is business, not a social club.

This is my point, we don't know who is out there, and we may never know, because it's all down to Martin. Only he can decide to bring other people into the mix, but of course he won't want to lose any of that lovely profit, so that just won't happen. Our two options, would be to force him to seek help (if that is at all possible) or to roll over and let him carry on doing what he wants.

A mass boycott would force him to find extra money to keep the club going (you'd hope). You say he wouldn't care about a boycott, and I agree maybe he wouldn't, and maybe it won't do any good. But if there's a chance it would do some good, then maybe it's actually worth considering/doing, instead of mindlessly funding Martin's one-man demolition job.

Possibly.
One thing I'm not clear on when it comes to the 'Blue Knights' is do they want to carry the FF development forward? Or do they want to stay at Roots Hall? I thought they wanted to stay at Roots Hall.
Next year I don't think the crowds will change that much, just because season ticket sales will go down doesn't mean we won't still get over 4,500 for the majority of our games.
Who knows, but let's hope nothing mental happens! Other than RonWorld coming true!

Possibly.
One thing I'm not clear on when it comes to the 'Blue Knights' is do they want to carry the FF development forward? Or do they want to stay at Roots Hall? I thought they wanted to stay at Roots Hall.
Next year I don't think the crowds will change that much, just because season ticket sales will go down doesn't mean we won't still get over 4,500 for the majority of our games.
Who knows, but let's hope nothing mental happens! Other than RonWorld coming true!

I'm not saying The Consortium were the way to go (neither am I saying they are a bad way to go), i'm stating that we know of at least one possible source of investment. I've no doubt there'd be more, if Martin announced publiclly he was looking for investors. Again though, he won't, because he'd have to offer another slice of the pie to someone.

Can't see crowds of 4,500 tbh. Maybe against Daggers if they come down, but other than that I expect attendences to drop to about 3000-4000 on a good day.

It makes me laugh when people start saying "it's my club and I won't let him take it from me" etc etc, well, you are?! By funding it, by showing up, you're letting him take it from you. WHY would Martin need to even consider looking for outside investment, when 4k-5k people are showing up week in week out and keeping us on/just below the bread line!? All we're doing is stumbling along, living week to week. There's no long-term plan. There's no contingency. Can't people see this is absolutely perfect for Martin? He concentrates on building his crackpot dream land, whilst us mugs have to put up with dross and crap, both on and off the pitch.

Something needs to change surely?

If you think things are bad now, just wait a few years until Martin has built us a 3-sided ground, and RonWorld is very quickly taking shape. That's when the **** will hit the fan, and people will maybe realise. But by then, it'll be too late. If things carry on the way they are now, we are ****ed. Make no mistake.

I'm not saying The Consortium were the way to go (neither am I saying they are a bad way to go), i'm stating that we know of at least one possible source of investment. I've no doubt there'd be more, if Martin announced publiclly he was looking for investors. Again though, he won't, because he'd have to offer another slice of the pie to someone.

Can't see crowds of 4,500 tbh. Maybe against Daggers if they come down, but other than that I expect attendences to drop to about 3000-4000 on a good day.

It makes me laugh when people start saying "it's my club and I won't let him take it from me" etc etc, well, you are?! By funding it, by showing up, you're letting him take it from you. WHY would Martin need to even consider looking for outside investment, when 4k-5k people are showing up week in week out and keeping us on/just below the bread line!? All we're doing is stumbling along, living week to week. There's no long-term plan. There's no contingency. Can't people see this is absolutely perfect for Martin? He concentrates on building his crackpot dream land, whilst us mugs have to put up with dross and crap, both on and off the pitch.

Something needs to change surely?

If you think things are bad now, just wait a few years until Martin has built us a 3-sided ground, and RonWorld is very quickly taking shape. That's when the **** will hit the fan, and people will maybe realise. But by then, it'll be too late. If things carry on the way they are now, we are ****ed. Make no mistake.

A lot of points there. All fair.
Don't really know what else to say.
Apart from I will defend the players, they are not all dross and crap as they have proved.

A lot of points there. All fair.
Don't really know what else to say.
Apart from I will defend the players, they are not all dross and crap as they have proved.

Ok, maybe I should elaborate on the crap/dross part.

Off the field in recent times, we've had players apparently not being paid, court battles with HMRC and players apparently not wanting to join us (43!!).

These 3 things, have allegedly happened more than once and seems a recurring theme. So by that notion, I can't believe Martin is keen to change the way it's working. And why would he? He has faced no comeback whatsoever, and aslong as he doesn't, I doubt things will change.

On the field, we've got a handful of players who have looked decent for this level, but we've also got some who are playing above their level. I wouldn't exactly say it's a promotion winning squad. We will have to put up with that, because investment in the playing staff will be quite small (if at all) i'd imagine. And again, why would Ron see the need to change that?

As long as SUFC continues to slowly chug along, without any major problems (i.e. fan revolt), Ron is left to concentrate on getting the FF development off the ground, whilst we, the fans, put up with the ongoing problems mentioned above

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I should elaborate on the crap/dross part.

Off the field in recent times, we've had players apparently not being paid, court battles with HMRC and players apparently not wanting to join us (43!!).

These 3 things, have allegedly happened more than once and seems a recurring theme. So by that notion, I can't believe Martin is keen to change the way it's working. And why would he? He has faced no comeback whatsoever, and aslong as he doesn't, I doubt things will change.

On the field, we've got a handful of players who have looked decent for this level, but we've also got some who are playing above their level. I wouldn't exactly say it's a promotion winning squad. We will have to put up with that, because investment in the playing staff will be quite small (if at all) i'd imagine. And again, why would Ron see the need to change that?

As long as SUFC continues to slowly chug along, without any major problems (i.e. fan revolt), Ron is left to concentrate on getting the FF development off the ground, whilst we, the fans, put up with the ongoing problems mentioned above

Would a fan revolt/boycott not reduce the amount of perspective investors though? (If Ron did take the bait following this course of action?). If attendence's drop further, the club would be in a worse financial state and in tandom with it's now further reduced and disgruntled fanbase, surely it would be a far less attractive proposition for any potential prospective investors we would be trying to force Ron to bring in? Especially when you consider the reputation this club has got, and the absolute mess Ron has made of the stadium .This could make the situation more perilous.

furthmore, would we need Sainsbury's to sign off any new partners should Ron be forced down this route? I'm not sure how far there influence runs with us now? Whether it stops at the purse strings or into business decisions?

I want him out as much as you do, but I don't know what the answer is, I just don't think this is it - sorry I know it's easy to criticise than to come up with something more contructive.

They wanted to move stadium and take the whole complex development project away from Martin thus how they would make money.

Would a fan revolt/boycott not reduce the amount of perspective investors though? (If Ron did take the bait following this course of action?). If attendence's drop further, the club would be in a worse financial state and in tandom with it's now further reduced and disgruntled fanbase, surely it would be a far less attractive proposition for any potential prospective investors we would be trying to force Ron to bring in? Especially when you consider the reputation this club has got, and the absolute mess Ron has made of the stadium .This could make the situation more perilous.

Of course, you could be right, but I'd say if outside investors were guarenteed to rake in a bit of cash from the FF development, i'd honestly doubt whether they'd care about fans revolting though. So, although to some potential investors, it might seem like a bad investment, to others it might not be. Truth is we just don't know.

furthmore, would we need Sainsbury's to sign off any new partners should Ron be forced down this route? I'm not sure how far there influence runs with us now? Whether it stops at the purse strings or into business decisions?

I must admit I'm not 100% sure. As far as i'm aware they had no say on Tara Brady getting involved, but I could be wrong.

Afterall, the only thing they're concerned about is Roots Hall. They're not getting anything from FF, so I'm not sure if they could, or even if they'd want to get involved in it?? In truth you never really know what's going on with this club half the time.

want him out as much as you do, but I don't know what the answer is, I just don't think this is it - sorry I know it's easy to criticise than to come up with something more contructive.

I way I see it, Ron's had an easy ride, and until that is disrupted, nothing will change. Fan power would be the only way IMHO

I way I see it, Ron's had an easy ride, and until that is disrupted, nothing will change. Fan power would be the only way IMHO

and the lack of effort from fans to disrupt Martin is what has been most disappointing

I never said i wouldnt be in attendance , i just said that i would not be renewing my season card. I will go but i will pick and choose the games i go to.

The same as buying a season ticket does. It makes bugger all difference as TefRon will spunk the money on anything but a tiny squad!

Back