• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Starting your Own Business

Has anyone had enough of working for someone else and started out on their own?
If so how much research did you do, did you move to something completely different, did it work out etc etc etc.

I am lucky in so much that I have been employed by my current employers for the past 13 years. I have been paying into the company pension scheme which is commonly known as one of the best out there. I also have the oppertunity to take up to a five year career break so always have something to fall back on.
Truth is I have had enough of doing what I do now. I will never be poor and it is a job for life but will never be rich either. i have a little idea which may or may not work but is far removed from what I do now.
Any help etc much appreciated.

I posted something similar before X-Mas, so it might be worth doing a search on the forum BS...

I am now self-employed as a web designer and it is great to be honest! Get a good accountant and register self-employed and away you go.

Its hard work though - as I work from home I never feel like I have a break as such and work from early morn to late night most days - where in a normal job, you would walk out at 5 or 6 whatever...

I say go for it!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Oct. 08 2004,14:29)]Has anyone had enough of working for someone else and started out on their own?
If so how much research did you do, did you move to something completely different, did it work out etc etc etc.

I am lucky in so much that I have been employed by my current employers for the past 13 years. I have been paying into the company pension scheme which is commonly known as one of the best out there. I also have the oppertunity to take up to a five year career break so always have something to fall back on.
Truth is I have had enough of doing what I do now. I will never be poor and it is a job for life but will never be rich either. i have a little idea which may or may not work but is far removed from what I do now.
I started my own business about 3 years ago and have never looked back

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Oct. 08 2004,15:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Oct. 08 2004,14:29)]Has anyone had enough of working for someone else and started out on their own?

I started my own business about 3 years ago and have never looked back
!Cockles in deeds run's a well oiled business!

tounge.gif

Something i hope to do in 3 or 4 years time.

I think I am the sort of boss I would like to work for.

Maybe start out by doin it part time in ur spare time alongside your normal job.

I've got a part time business as a DJ. It hasnt really taken off yet, but doesnt cost me anything, as i registered for low income blaa blaa, infact i cant wait for my tax return as i can claim back 25% on all CD's ive bought etc
biggrin.gif

If it ever took off, sure id jack in my day job, but for now, its good for the odd £100 here and there

Dave

Known a few family friends who started a business, and the trouble they had was they thought they had found something no one had done but discovered that it was being done. Do do your research and make sure you have a business plan, profit, outgoings etc. But life is about living so go for it and best of luck ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Oct. 08 2004,15:36)]infact i cant wait for my tax return as i can claim back 25% on all CD's ive bought etc  
biggrin.gif
Don't you just download all of your tunes from the internet like other DJ's?

I went to a wedding recently and the DJ had all of his music on a laptop. No CD's or anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Oct. 08 2004,15:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Oct. 08 2004,15:36)]infact i cant wait for my tax return as i can claim back 25% on all CD's ive bought etc  
biggrin.gif
Don't you just download all of your tunes from the internet like other DJ's?

I went to a wedding recently and the DJ had all of his music on a laptop. No CD's or anything.
You can do that, but as a business you are always open to inspections. I cant remember the name of the particular OFF..... (ofcom etc) that regualte DJ'in, copywrite etc, but a friend of mine was inspected. He always used copies of his CD's to save his originals gettin damaged while out gigging etc. In order to satisfy the Officials, he had to, within 28 days, prove that he owned the originals of all the songs they wrote down They litually stand there, and write down names of songs u have while ur tryin to work!). There were about 3 he couldnt find (out of some 100 they wrote down), and he got fined £100.

Dave

Back