• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Statement from Ron Martin (16/9/20)

I did try telling you all that this man wasn't of sound mind! He is so wrapped up in his own imaginary world he is unaware of reality.

There is more in the OS after last paragraph:

Some reading this will be saying 4-0 against Harrogate new boys, he is kidding himself. The team, due to injuries and recruitment negotiations continuing, had an average age of 22.3 years. I am told that is the youngest squad in a League match Southend have ever played in its history and I have no doubt contributed to last Saturday’s result. Minor injuries simply conspired against us on the day.

Maybe I am wrong about competing to get back to League One… however if I didn’t have an optimistic outlook on life for sure I would not be Chairman of a football club!

We have to accept with relegation comes changes and the changes to management I am very pleased with. I had time on my side for once. As I say earlier, I took the scalpel to the squad and to a lesser extent the backroom to make sure we can get Southend United back where we all want it to be as quick as possible. There is no point the club being a religion to most of us, when some of the players are not joining the congregation.

As Mark said early on “Rome wasn’t built in a day” with the senior pros of John White, Jason Demetriou, Timothee Dieng and shortly Harry Lennon too coupled with the new signings (x6) it will be a very different team in the coming weeks in terms of experience to that which we were forced to play Saturday.

I realise it is important in these times to keep supporters informed and the club will now do just that week by week.

No mention of Oxley among the senior players listed....

Cardnet, as the card acquirer, are fully liable in the event that the club goes bust. Season ticket holders who have paid on card would be able to claim their money back through a chargeback and they (Cardnet) would have to honour the claim.

As such they'll be holding onto all funds I'd imagine until games have been played and their risk has dropped.

As someone who has worked in risk management in that sector I'd be staggered if they released anything to SUFC whilst the threat of being wound up exists.
That makes sense but wouldn't the games not being played be covered by the ticket T's&C's?

Also it wouldn't be the club that cancels the games it would be the EFL so wouldn't Cardnets beef be with them.

Genuine questions, I'm just trying to figure out why a bank can legitimately hold on to someone's money

Surely our Chairman or someone at the club must have read the small print with Cardnet before they agreed to use them? All very strange........why are the bank adopting this stance with Southend?

I believe the Club have been with Cardnet for many, many years throughout our various financial ups and downs and regardless of Ron alluding in this statement that this is a new policy from Cardnet that has taken him by surprise I don't believe that's really the case.

That makes sense but wouldn't the games not being played be covered by the ticket T's&C's?

Also it wouldn't be the club that cancels the games it would be the EFL so wouldn't Cardnets beef be with them.

Genuine questions, I'm just trying to figure out why a bank can legitimately hold on to someone's money

Cardholders have been wide-reaching rights when they pay with a Visa or MasterCard. If you pay for a season ticket to 24 games and 24 games don't take place because the club has gone bust then you'll be able to claim via your bank and get your money back. The Acquirer has to pay that money and then get it back from their customer (SUFC) but if that customer has gone out of business then they just become another unsecured creditor....unless they never settled the cash in the first place.

It happens a lot with all sorts of businesses unfortunately.

I believe the Club have been with Cardnet for many, many years throughout our various financial ups and downs and regardless of Ron alluding in this statement that this is a new policy from Cardnet that has taken him by surprise I don't believe that's really the case.
A guess but... I think it'll be a post-covid policy for live events running the risk of not happening - whether he knew / was informed prior to re-using them is the question.

O

only 4 more as 2 made i assume
Maybe..........I think Ron can make numbers whatever you want them to be! I have to say that IMHO this is a rather cunning plan by Ron that I don't think any of us saw. So, one way or another (hopefully on loan), moving four or five of our younger players out so they can be replaced by more experienced players.................brilliant Ron!!!!

Cardnet, as the card acquirer, are fully liable in the event that the club goes bust. Season ticket holders who have paid on card would be able to claim their money back through a chargeback and they (Cardnet) would have to honour the claim.

As such they'll be holding onto all funds I'd imagine until games have been played and their risk has dropped.

As someone who has worked in risk management in that sector I'd be staggered if they released anything to SUFC whilst the threat of being wound up exists.
I’m sure as supporters we are delighted that the purchase of a season ticket is instead of helping the club helping Lloyds Bank
My wife is closing her Lloyd’s account tomorrow- good on her

I can picture it now, we will all think he's gonna loan out the youngsters to make room for experience ... but he's gonna announce someone like Dieng, Oxley or Lennon going out the door.

We're going down this season ... it's written on the wall ... this will be our last season in the EFL

I hate to be the pessimist, But I said the same last season when bond was in charge. The club has a really bad energy about it. its rotten to the core and Covid is sadly the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

If we exit this window with this squad, we will be 12 points adrift by Xmas.

Personally I saw that as a slight dig at SH more than MM, in suggesting that he didn’t want to be here... which is true of course.

I didn't have an issue with selling Humphrys and think it was the right decision but "equally it is not me that had to manage him" is absolutely placing the blame at the manager's door.

Otherwise he could have just said "we want players who want to be at the club and unfortunately Stephen didn't"

28 professional players? We have 22 listed on the club website in the first team. I guess that also includes some u23s such as Klass, Acquah (even with the club?), Howard, Callum Taylor, Benton and Stewart.

GK: Oxley, Seaden
DEF: Bwomono, Ralph, Hobson, Clifford, Taylor, Demetriou, Lennon, Kyprianou, Mitchell-Nelson, White
MID: Green, Dieng, Egbri, Gard, Phillips, Hutchinson, Kinali
FWD: Goodship, Rush, Kelman

If it is as simple as the squad numbers being capped at 23 players, then can't we drop players/loan them out to make space? Mitchell-Nelson has been playing for the u23s. Rush and Kinali can go out on loan to gain experience.

The u23s are professionals too.

Add in Howard, Osimeh, Benton, Stewart, Knock and Callum Taylor - the latter made a first team appearance last year as well.

I don't know whether loans out don't count against the 23 cap but if they do we should see a few go out this week as non-league starts Saturday for teams like Harlow. Was the Hullbridge game about putting certain players in the shop window?

BTW who were the four who were paid off last year: Ridgewell, Cox, Kiernan and who? Blackman would have just required notice.

Reactions: GBJ
Back