• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Statement from Ron Martin (16/9/20)

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
A STATEMENT from Southend United chairman Ron Martin
(Click here if you prefer to read with Echo clickbait! https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/18726064.statement-blues-chairman-ron-martin/ )

I perhaps should have made a statement in advance of now following the loss against Harrogate Town on Saturday; My apology for not doing so whilst my focus is on changing matters rather than empathising with people moaning about it.

Nevertheless it was a very miserable defeat.
We should not point the finger at Mark Molesley or indeed the young players that as a result of injury (four senior pros out) he was forced to play.

I think we can all agree that the performance against Gillingham the previous week, although having resulted in a 1-0 defeat, was a sound performance which we should have won and not least because two senior pros (John White and Timothee Dieng) that were missing from last Saturdays match.

Mark inherited a young squad as a consequence of me taking my scalpel to the squad throughout last year.I have said previous that we do not want any player at Southend United who does not want to be here and would if required run through brick walls for our football club.

There were many players last season (and the year before if the truth was known) who enjoyed big salaries but did not perform to either their ability or maybe our recruitment could be criticised too.
Throughout last year we negotiated the payoff of four players and the contract came to an end in June with others… a change around of some 13 personnel.
Changes needed to be made and this was a deliberate strategy to clear the decks for the new management team.

Nevertheless over the summer the continued support of the Academy witnessed an additional nine young players on the recommendation of Ricky Duncan, our long standing and high experienced Academy Manager.

As a result the Club has one of the largest squads in League Two of some 28 professional players.
However the squad is hugely imbalanced. Mark knew this of course during our detailed discussions before joining and I promised him that we would sign three or four perhaps even five players to not only strengthen but to ensure that the youngsters could continue to grow from the Under 23’s to supplement the First Team as required .

We are still in that process of re-building to be ready to build again.
Unwittingly Sol Campbell in his efforts to find a winning formula blooded a number of young players and now all of those count as part of our maximum squad size of 23.

Of course, some might argue, if we were not embargoed it would not matter how many professional players the club carried on its books… well it does.

It is important that there is a pathway through from the Academy for the Under 23’s into the First Team and the signing of two maybe three players year on year to come into the First Team squad is what we would ideally want.

Equally we do not want our young skilled players dropping off our books who might shine later for one of our competitors… it is a tricky balance.

The fact is we expected to discharge the HMRC debt before today’s Hearing.
We have reduced the balance, to HMRC, by a third but cashflow over the past six months has been very limited and we have had the carry the club costs through this difficult Covid period including paying off overpaid/underperforming players.

That cashflow has not been assisted by both the limited number of season cards that we could sell (I guess 50% of normal) and compounded by our card merchants, Cardnet, not releasing any funds to the club as a result of their change in policy.

As a consequence all season card monies are still held by Lloyds Bank.
The Club could in theory unblock those monies by asking supporters to pay by cash but as matters stand we would rather help where we can and carry the burden until matters improve, which they will.
I am in dialogue with the hierarchy at Cardnet and hopefully there will be some relaxation on their new policy to assist the club.

In the meantime with the squad numbers capped at 23 we are managing that strategy… protem until the embargo is lifted.

We have signed the initial two players that Mark has targeted and we are now in negotiations with four further players at this moment to strengthen the squad… six in total not the three or four or perhaps five, I discussed with Mark during the interview.

This will mean that vacancies will have to be made within the squad numbers.
The departure of Stephen Humphreys, who I personally did not want to leave the Club, but equally it is not me that had to manage him.

Again I repeat we do not want any player at the Club that does not want to be here.
Mark and his management team (we have brought in five of his colleagues with the sixth still needing to join) are here to quickly change the culture from which the Club has suffered over the past two seasons.
We now have an energetic and highly motivated Management Team who are all focused on improving the current squad and supplementing further players to ensure success.

I am asked “what are our ambitions for this year”… “are you happy to remain in League Two?”.
The answer is absolutely not.

As Chairman of your Club I shall never be satisfied with mediocracy.
We are here to compete and want to be back in League One next year.

I am asked “what are our ambitions for this year”… “are you happy to remain in League Two?”.
The answer is absolutely not.

As Chairman of your Club I shall never be satisfied with mediocracy.
We are here to compete and want to be back in League One next year.

He's absolutely deluded.

The departure of Stephen Humphreys, who I personally did not want to leave the Club, but equally it is not me that had to manage him.

Is this a joke? Attempting to redirect the blame to MM?

Unwittingly Sol Campbell in his efforts to find a winning formula blooded a number of young players and now all of those count as part of our maximum squad size of 23.

Well done, Ron. You've made Sol look like the good guy. And that's hard work.

I understand the financial difficulties we're under (and there seems to be some genuine reasons holding payments back a bit), however reading through all these I really felt a sense of arrogance coming through that rubs me up the wrong way.

It's understandable that people are 'moaning', it's a worrying situation! And I don't really buy the whole 'big squad' thing when half of them aren't ready for senior football yet, they should be in the academy. Sol only blooded them because he was given no choice and was lied to about players he could bring in.

The part about him not wanting Humphries to leave is a bit unprofessional, putting the blame on the manager. Then following up by saying he only wants players that want to be there... doesn't that contradict what he just said?

I hope the 4 players part is true, because boy do we need it. But we heard that one before with Sol and we ended up with... 0

Last edited:
He's absolutely deluded.

Is this a joke? Attempting to redirect the blame to MM?

Well done, Ron. You've made Sol look like the good guy. And that's hard work.
I took the bit about SH not to be any form of redirection at MM but that the player didnt want to be here and was had to manage due to that so MM made the choice to accept an offer and let him go. He (without defending him) has said since January they only want players who want to be here and will give 100% so if SH didnt want to be here then i guess he didnt fit that mantra.

just my take and not defending RM at all

I understand the financial difficulties we're under (and there seems to be some genuine reasons holding payments back a bit), however reading through all these I really felt a sense of arrogance coming through that rubs me up the wrong way.

It's understandable that people are 'moaning', it's a worrying situation! And I don't really buy the whole 'big squad' thing when half of them aren't ready for senior football yet, they should be in the academy. Sol only blooded them because he was given no choice and was lied to about players he could bring in.

The part about him not wanting Humphries to leave is a bit unprofessional, putting the blame on the manager. Then following up by saying he only wants players that want to be there... doesn't that contradict what he just said?

I hope the 4 players part is true, because boy do we need it.
Need to free up space as we only have one space right now, which means selling players, loaning players or releasing them as sue to SC playing th young guns that count towards the 23 squad.

Fair enough, reasonable explanation.

If a sentence of "a few clangers were dropped and some poor decisions made" was added it would round it off; however maybe that is so evident it isn't needed.

Professional in that it Ron does not put blame onto others.

The usual sly digs at others but there were a few interesting points, not least about the season card money. I wonder how it feels to be on the receiving end of money being withheld from you for once.

Be interesting to see how the club manage the situation with the potential signings. I imagine that there's probably attempts being made to send out a couple of players on loan, maybe to National League South or Isthmian Premier clubs.

But reading between the lines it seems those players we are lining up might have to wait a while before coming in. An unsatisfactory situation for all concerned.

Still, at least he didn't bang on about the golden goose of FF (although an update on how close we are to submitting full plans would have been welcome).

The club does seem to be really struggling at the moment, so many basics being done wrong. A lot of staff probably still furloughed, rumours of payments missed on other threads.

It feels like this is different to previous situations we have been in before, where Ron has been confident of sorting things out

Little worrying he plans to use season ticket money to pay off HMRC. What is he going to use for the regular day to day running of the club?

Need to free up space as we only have one space right now, which means selling players, loaning players or releasing them as sue to SC playing th young guns that count towards the 23 squad.

Does loaning a player mean they are released up from the squad count? If they go out on a season long loan does their registration transfer to the surrogate club?

"I shall never be satisfied with mediocracy."

It's what you've created minus a CEO.

"Want to be back in League One next year."

Just funny.

I don't understand a lot of what's going on behind the scenes, it's all very confusing, but Martin has said so many things which come to nothing thus resulting in needing to make more statements. This endless cycle is so ridiculous.

28 professional players? We have 22 listed on the club website in the first team. I guess that also includes some u23s such as Klass, Acquah (even with the club?), Howard, Callum Taylor, Benton and Stewart.

GK: Oxley, Seaden
DEF: Bwomono, Ralph, Hobson, Clifford, Taylor, Demetriou, Lennon, Kyprianou, Mitchell-Nelson, White
MID: Green, Dieng, Egbri, Gard, Phillips, Hutchinson, Kinali
FWD: Goodship, Rush, Kelman

If it is as simple as the squad numbers being capped at 23 players, then can't we drop players/loan them out to make space? Mitchell-Nelson has been playing for the u23s. Rush and Kinali can go out on loan to gain experience.

Back